The Cost of Doing Business Being Self Employed

Florida

Expert Expediter
Having a track record of over 30 years in the transportation industry in one form or another; starting out as a leased owner operator for Mayflower in 1975, up to currently owning an expedited delivery service down here operating within the state of Florida for over the past decade, I have a general feel of how the industry works in general. I've lost count of how many miles (hundreds of thousands or even up in the million or so range) that I have accumulated personally operating various size motor vehicles from light trucks and cargo vans up to 80K pound full load tractor trailers. Every single mile being accident free in over 30 years of driving within the United States and overseas in Europe for the U.S. government (autobahn). Just about seen it all, and almost done it all.

Ever see a guy pushing a WHEELBARROW across 3 lanes of interstate traffic at DUSK for all he's worth? I did, Jacksonville, I-95. 7pm. Ever pass a pickup in the rain , just to have him spin out and slide sideways down the road just 2 to 3 feet from your front bumper until his wheels caught and threw him into the grassy median? We've all seen the wrecks with the yellow plastic tarp over bodies, air extraction of half living human bodies, the road rage nuts, the police each delivering their own brand of "road-Side Justice", especially in these little towns with no traffic lights.

Even saw one truck wreck over in Germany where the only thing left from a tractor was the engine/transmission combination down in the ditch. Never did figure out what happened to the rest of the cab, and body inside - just saw that motor and tranny down in a ditch.

For all of you guys new to the trucking industry, keep these written words etched in your memory: "TIME IS MONEY", as quoted by Benjamin Franklin.

This entire industry, including expediting, is evolved around using your time up for free, without compensation. YOu will put in 60-70 hours weeks and be compensated for your driving mileage on a pocket change basis. If we were all lucky to be paid on an hourly basis such as those local LTL guys (some up to $22/hour with OVERTIME); we'd all retire early - assuming survival of the road and not becoming another statistic.

I read a post from someone who was very excited about driving from TEXAS to OHIO (I think) for orientation, and then driving back to Texas? I hope that your time and mileage is being compensated for at a decent rate - otherwise in essance what you are doing is driving up there and back out of your own pocket expense. With the cost of diesel, adding to the man/woman hours of driving time that you believe you are worth - you have basically donated your time(money), and cash for diesel just to go to orientation. Sure they will pay you a nominal sum to while ATTENDING that orientation, but you have to think from a full view perspective of being a business owner. Can you actually drive all those miles and spend all that time driving for what boils down for FREE? How will you recoup those losses?

The other point is business operational expenses; there are both FIXED and DYNAMIC. Fixed costs are the ones which remain the same day after day whether you drive the truck or make any type of money. Those include Truck payments and insurance payments, tag, registration, etc. divide all those fixed costs by 365, and you have a base mimimum which you are required to make PER DAY just to break even without driving a single mile. When you layover, or wait for a load, some of you people have stated for up to a week - then your carrier is basically playing with your money by using up your time.
Your bank and insurance company isn't going to stop demanding payment on the days you're not hauling loads are they? Therefore, for every day you are not driving and generating revenue has to be made up at a later time; by adding that cost to the next load. You sit for a few days waiting for a load and wait? Free? Not a chance. Banks and insurance companies already noted don't care; but can you live without eating or drinking for those days; another added cost liability of lowering your overall net income.

Then you have the dynamic flexible expenses such as amount of mileage, fuel expenses used to deliver loads, depreciating value of the vehicle, breakdowns, tolls, repairs, maintenenace,tires, etc; which all fluctuate up and down each day and month all dependent upon the amount of miles you drive. These are the only expenses your carriers WANT you to know about. They are quite happy for you to sit out in Nowhere USA for days, and think it's just peachy, as it's not costing them a penny; but it sure is FOR YOU.

As most of you have noted in this expedited delivery business- the best type of operation to generate a maximum return on your investment (ROI) is a TEAM; where the truck basically never stops except for pickup, delivery, and shop maintenance and repairs. In this business model your pennies per mile compensation is at its maximum, but you are burning yourself out and driving the truck into the ground - but why should the carrier worry about that, it's YOUR asset (or I should say $100,000 liability to the bank). You run hard, don't know what the meaning of HOME or VACATION or OVERTIME means; it's not in the vocabulary, and try to trade in that truck before it flat self destructs from wear and tear.

Some people are quite happy and content with that; and I say go for it.

For me personally, I do not like the idea of playing around with my business asets, and especially my TIME as if it were to be given away for free. Nobody works for free in this country, that is not how you pay bills, the daily fixed business expenses, and put shoes on the kids. Your time is money; and the more of your time you give away without being compensated for, the quicker the road to the poor house you will go.

Scenario: pickup a load to deliver to Wichita, Kansas. Done and delivered. Dispatcher says "hold tight and wait". Right there your time is being used for free, and the clock is still ticking on those fixed expenses. The longer you wait without compensation, the higher paying the next load will have to be in order to compensate for the lost amount of potential generated revenue. The problem with that, and for the trucking industry in general for the past 30 years, is that the next load is NEVER a higher paying one to allow you to recoup for the lost time ($$) and fixed expenses and still pay decent for the next one. Some things never change,much, freight rates in trucking are a prime example.

Next item on the agenda: do not allow yourself to get tricked in to a percentage load statement quote. Example: "we pay 65% of the gross" Gross of what??? How do you know and how can you determine what the actual GROSS freight rate is? Ask for the actual copy of the freight Bill of Lading and Invoice to the customer? Good luck on your next job. In your contract, always, always, always, have it stipulated in WRITING, signed by a designated person who has the AUTHORITY (not the janitor) who has the power of attorney to act on the carrier's behalf to enter into contractual agreements, and get every possible situation that you can think of down in writing; add in addendums if necessary - those contracts ARE NOT written in stone as much as those carriers would like for you to believe. They are, of course, drawn up by their laywers, and heavingly worded in their favor. What else is new?

Wait time? How much per hour, how much permitted "free time" Remember my time is not free. The key here is to get loaded and unloaded ASAP in a team operation and get to the next low paying load.

Loading and Unloading? You or the unskilled dock warehouse people? You get paid for manhandling freight after driving 10 hours? Do you want to? I have my own opinion on this; a motor vehicle operator safely operates the motor vehicle on the streets and highways, and is responsible for SECUREMENT of the load while in transit. That does not include loading the freight, and does not include unloading the freight. That does not include doing mechanic work, unless you want to save money and do it yourself. The law is specific on this; the driver must do a pre-trip and post trip inspection of the vehicle, inspect it every 150 miles while in transit, including load containment; period. I used to deliver HHG for Mayflower 30 years ago. It was not uncommon to load the truck, drive the truck, and unload the truck, and make my "generous 65% commission" of the load. 65% of WHAT amount???? And 30 years later, with the new trucks topping over the $100,000 mark, the base commission percentage is STILL THE SAME????? Think freight rates have gone up a lot to compensate the cost of living? Guess again. That is why a lot of HUGE LARGE carriers have gone bankrupt. Freight rates and competition, and expenses which have gone through the roof.

Bottom line:
If you do not think like a businessman, and only think like a driver being told and led around by the nose, you will soon become another statistic. MAKE THAT TRUCK WORK FOR YOU, NOT YOU FOR THE TRUCK. Don't fall into the trap of becoming a contractor owner operator with a lease/puchase program with truck payments of $2000 a MONTH!! Not with the average cost of freight rate being noted at 80-90 cents per miles plus fuel surcharge (excuse me while I do my poddle flips)and other incentives to bring the grand total up to $1.20 or $1.40 a mile.
You will go broke. Rock bottom figure for an old used truck with low payments and cheap diesel, and praying every day that the thing won't blow up is $1.50/mile, and that's WITHOUT that extensive "free" waiting time I as talking about previously. For a new model truck, you should be asking for $2.00 to $2.25 per mile, with a paragraph in that contract stating that wait or detention time is payable immediately after 1 hour (at most) at $15.00/hour. Otherwise, you will go broke.

I read the article in the truck mag about an O.O. who ran his new truck hard and nonstop (violation of the HOS regs) in order to try to make his $2000/month truck payments. He ran hard alright, right up to the point where he fell asleep at the wheel and wrecked and I believe caused a fatality. Don't fall into that trap. The article stated that this guy didn't eat or sleep good,take showers and didn't see the front door of his house in months. His life was focused on bending the 10 straight hours off duty time in order to deliver cheap freight in his shiny new hundred thousand dollar truck; which the BANK actually owned; not him. He ruined his life by the wreck, the court costs, the criminal neglectance action against him, loss of CDL, penalty and fines assessed against him, and I wasn't sure if he was sentenced to JAIL or not. All this - just to deliver cheap freight in an overly expensive truck; worked like a pack mule until he just dropped from fatigue.

Is that what you want to get into trucking for? Or do you want to enter it from a small business owner aspect and MAKE MONEY by operating wisely? That wisdom comes from experience and time and relationships built with warehouse , dispatchers and terminal people.

Nothing more sickening that the sound of a dead motor right in the middle of delivering a load. As an O.O., I hope you have a big fat credit card or large bank account, because calling 1-800-HelpME isn't going to work. Those are your bills heading your way. Worst yet - your carrier might even be so kind as to dispatch another contractor over to where you are to "TAKE" you load and deliver it, and keep all the money for himself - leaving you with a negative on that load.
Worse has happened.

Want you own operating authority to act as a contract carrier so you can negotiate with shippers and brokers for freight? GOOOOOD LUCK. Hope you have the experience behind you because there are enough
schemes and scams going on out there that could fill a book. The basic premise of the entire problem relies upon the fact that just about 99% of the loads are delivered on CREDIT. Only the smart guys like UPS anf FEDEX make their shipping customers pay either UP FRONT in full, or request a line of established credit, which is only approved after extensive research into their business history (called a DUNS Dun and Bradstreet) report. Building your trucking business model upon delivery and trust for payment after the fact is R-I-S-K-Y.
Ask for some of your money up front, and some of these guys will look at you crossed eyed, or have the nerve to charge a percentage of the amount "LOANED" to you...your own money.

Brokers and Lumpers...what would this industry be without them.

That's a whole can of worms in itself. Pallet exchange scams, unloading "fees" which for the most part are cash-only and no receipt with SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBERS with NAMES written down on them, so the IRS will refuse your tax deduction, to pay up if you want to be unloaded by our crew now, or wait over there in the corner of the (for a few days) until we find dock space....

Brokers - I'll leave that one for you to find out for yourself. Just keep reading the forums and board postings. Note: be very careful as to who to trust with your money.

Final notes:
Always, always, always, place Shipper, Load and COunt (SLC) on your Bill of Lading if you weren't duped into loading the freight yourself.
Shortages have been known to occur in this industry, once or twice before..., and it will come out of YOUR pocket as a cargo claim.
Check the weight of the load on a scale before finding out the bad news at a weigh station down the road - where their mantra is "cash only, or money order for the EXACT amount of the fine". Shippers have been known to make a few "errors" on actual load weights before, usually as a means of getting a lower rate of a few bucks. The guys who load your truck with forklifts or pallets jacks are the ones who are setting your axle load weights as well; so best to supervise the operation, not do it, but WATCH. It's your truck, and your cargo responsibility. If they want to seal the load, then demand to get in there first to secure it as best you can, before they lock and tag the doors. Any load shifting is your baby, and your cargo claim.

That about covers Owner Operator - 101. Might think of a few other items later. A good place to find more information about operating your own business, acting under your own authority, or leasing to a carrier is the OOIDA site. I am a member, but they do not pay me to endorse them. It is only a reference in their direction. They have an entire business office devoted to the success of the indepedent owner operator. Dues is about $45 a year; and tax deductible.

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
I don't know whether to thank you or critisize you for your lengthy thread. You seem to have enjoyed your 30 years in the transportation business, then you commence to remind us of the idiocy of the manner in which we leased expediters and those expediters with their own authority conduct their business and lives. You sum up your comments with a few good reminders concerning BOLs and freight securement.

I fail to understand the rationale of a person who would spend so much unpaid time composing such a critical thread. Perhaps it will be explained in Expediting 201

silverdollar

Expert Expediter
I think that he is full of crap. Hauling bedbugs for mayflower does not make him an authority on trucking. He claims 30 years and doesn`t know if he has a million miles yet, something is wrong. I retired last year after 45 years driving and can prove that I have over 4 million miles.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
After reading this, I think I made a lot of mistakes and need to sell my trucks.

Good for you Florida, nice peice but I think you forgot the basic business and economic premise of Opportunity Cost - giving up one thing to get another thing. I find that many people think that they are owed for something that falls under this premise, like waiting for a load and trip over dollars chasing every little penny. The fact is, in spite of what ever anyone says, it is completely foolish to think that you need to get something back for the time spent waiting – this is part of the business and is the opportunity cost of the busainess we are all in.

To support this, I point to the fact that no one can predict customer needs for freight to be moved, or at least consistently enough to plan a single day so waiting is part of the overall scheme of things. Some think that they can by studying trends, area industries and what ever but if someone could, would you think that they wouldn’t be billionaires? I think they would be richer than gates buffet combined.

truckergirl

Seasoned Expediter
>I read a post from someone who was very excited about
>driving from TEXAS to OHIO (I think) for orientation, and
>then driving back to Texas? I hope that your time and
>mileage is being compensated for at a decent rate -
>otherwise in essance what you are doing is driving up there
>and back out of your own pocket expense. With the cost of
>diesel, adding to the man/woman hours of driving time that
>you believe you are worth - you have basically donated your
>time(money), and cash for diesel just to go to orientation.
>Sure they will pay you a nominal sum to while ATTENDING that
>orientation, but you have to think from a full view
>perspective of being a business owner. Can you actually
>drive all those miles and spend all that time driving for
>what boils down for FREE? How will you recoup those losses?

Yes we are excited to start this new life, and we are well aware of the cost associated with driving to and from. Any new driver has to go to orientation no matter where he or she is coming from.
We followed the advice on this forum and saved up some money to get started. And since we are now essentially "business owners" we know we will have to spend money to make money. Any small business owner has to either get a loan or pay some upfront costs. We expect that we will make it up down the road.
Also taking the advice on this forum, we do not have our own truck or truck payment. We are going to run someone elses truck to get started in this business.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Interesting HUGE essay combined with some good points and alot of frustration and resentment.
Not quite sure of the motive for this post either?
Then again.......it is getting closer to tax time.

Davekc
owner
22 years
PantherII
EO moderator

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I read the post twice and I believe he was trying to make it as a primer for folks getting into trucking and the pitfalls that can happen.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Could be. I am surprised with covering some of the pitfalls in trucking, he didn't mention government regs? That could be a book by itself. Everything from EPA changes, black boxes, tolls, HOS....it could be a list.

Davekc
owner
22 years
PantherII
EO moderator

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
Did I read welcome to a nuther day in paradise somewhere here or what? Yep, trucking is fun, some days. But, all is valid that is typed in this thread, for those of you that want to get your feet wet.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
That was one long thread I enjoyed reading. I took it as "things you have to think about while trucking", rather than "the reality of trucking". While most of it is very much real, the part about sitting for free is a given, tho most of us think too much about "we're sitting for nothin!". Overall, a very good read for newbs and vets alike to let us know what's going on in our corner of the economy, as well as the crevices of our cranium. Best stuff I've read in a long time!

"If I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know." - Kansas

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
all i have to say,if he were a farmer we would all starve,only industry where the owner makes less per hour than a trucker is farming
he sure likes to bring up that 80 and 90 cpm,evidently,thats what he was use to,most everyone i know running household, get 55% of line haul,and as we all know there mileages are really off,anyway.
my loads and most of my friends loads, where i'm leased to,make well over $2.00/mile.and i dont have to run 6000 miles a week to make a great living.
in expediting,its not hard to gross a 1/4 million dollars a year,for less than 150000 miles.
I'd rather sit around waiting to get dispatched,than run my butt off, like the regular freight haulers, in this industry.
If i wanted to get paid for every hour I was at work,i'd be at Gm or Ford,maybe even Toyota.
30 years ago when I started in this industry,i knew what i was getting into,If i didn't want what the industry had to offer,i wouldn't be here now
30 years ago,i was in a room at the Holiday Inn,200 people were there to start what would be a new adventure in working.1st thing out of the speakers mouth was,anyone that needs home every week end can leave,and 3/4's of the room left,bet florida was in that group

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Night... you been hangin out with the Colonel?

"If I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know." - Kansas

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
Full of Crap? Never seen a post from him before. I dissagree with the Crap comment. Agree with him on every item? NO, but his points are STRONG...

Just go back and read some of these wana get into this or just for that matter Panther Art. FAILURE people and to many ignore the signs WHY? I choose not to, this guy has way to many points I drive down the highway stewing over. Like not getting paid squat for DETENTION On my Nickle thats crap. My daughter at 17 makes more per hour than I do when it comes to detetnion and all shes invested into it is the clothes on her back. Like we are suppost to as he put it make a 100,000 note to a bank on what 15 an hour for sitting in NY NY?

One does not have to agree, but one who read what was written cannot say you did not learn something here or already wondered about it. Or can you?

One last question Why do we put up with some of the BS given to us?

Did I just read today about Panther holding $ back? I mean how long does one have to work for that company before the Escrow is current? FOREVER?? I am so glad I never worked with them to many Pissy comments about there practices and payments (Comdata) is your only option. Forget that. I guess I just have it to good to complain about Detention....

Florida

Expert Expediter
Dollar,

I have not been behind the wheel of a truck non-stop, whatever size it may have been, since 1975.

I have worked and seen both points of view from the transportation industry; working in a warehouse unloading trucks in 100 degree FLorida temps while drivers were sleeping in A/C cabs to doing the driving. Driving as first a leased owner operator, or beg bugger as you call it. Driving as a company driver, driving as a self employed contractor with my own authority and my own employer EIN where I hire and fire people at will. Not all of the time has been in the hotseat holding onto the steering wheel. Last time I heard, forklift driving time didn't count towards mileage.

Besides, I had too many other things to worry about like trying to pay bills and collect money owed to me than to sit there and count every last single mile I have driven over the past 30 years. Should I only count tractor trailers, or should I add in the box truck time as well? Should I count the miles I drove while over in Germany and Holland driving for the U.S. government? For awhile I did courier work in cars and cargo vans - should I count that as well?

I have hauled bedbugs, lumber, newspapers, air freight, municipal solid waste (aka garbage to the landfill), military equipment and an awful lot of general commodities over the years. Past 10 years has been down here in FLorida where my operational radius has been under the mandatory logbook distance radius distance. Who's counting miles as a company driver, when I don't have to worry about mileage tax deductions?

One certainty, everybody knows when they wreck. That's a granted. I can state that I have not had a single accident or wreck in any vehicle anywhere on the face of this planet in 30 years; whatever the mileage might be. Sorry I could not be more precise on my actual amount of driving time behind the wheel of every commercial vehicle regardless of size, but it's simply not high on my list of priorities.

What was I supposed to do at a million miles, buy myself a statue with a blue ribbon? Guess I better start keeping better track of the amount of mileage I put on the road from now on; as it appears to be of some importance or value.

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
transportation as an owner opp is like farming,we aren't here for the hourly wage,if we were ,we would all be driving union company trucks

Florida

Expert Expediter
>Interesting HUGE essay combined with some good points and
>alot of frustration and resentment.
>Not quite sure of the motive for this post either?
>Then again.......it is getting closer to tax time.
>
>
>I got an "A" in Technical Composition in college.....

Frustration from not gettings loads, and resentment from not getting paid.
>
>
>
>
>
>Davekc
>owner
>22 years
>PantherII
>EO moderator

Florida

Expert Expediter
Paid by the hour to drive a truck?

>transportation as an owner opp is like farming,we aren't
>here for the hourly wage,if we were ,we would all be driving
>union company trucks
>.==============================================================

I'd like to know how you customized your avatar image. How'd you pull it from a server url, and got it to work with that animated gif?

As for the payment schemes, well, let's just say I've seen and been paid in just about every concievable way there is. How should I start...

Mayflower: 65% percentage split of "gross revenue" What constitutes "gross", who knows without looking at the actual freight bill..."just *trust me*", or ask to see the paperwork and you can start looking for another job...

Walpole: paid on a Ton/Mile basis pulling a 53' van. This one paid different amounts based on the weight of the load, which was (hold your noses everybody) solid waste to the landfill in Okeechobee. If the trailer was packed down full to the top with light cardboard and paper materials, the same run paid less than if the paper was soaking wet (more weight). Go figure.

Jack Hood Transportation: paid on a flat rate per trip, which worked out to about $20/hour. Drove 33K GVW CDL-B straight trucks, pulled 28' pups, and a 53' van for the Miami haul. Wall Strret Journal.

Robbins Lumber: Flatbed- company driver pulling a 48' flatbed of lumber for $14/hr with overtime. Worked the usual 10-12 hour days.

Hauled local air freight P/D for a daily flat rate around here as an O.O. contractor. Problem with that is the original estimate of daily hours was "slightly" off. Instead of the usual 8 or so with an occasional 10, it became a standard 10-12 hour day with a few bumping up higher than than. Those people were cutting it awfully close to the 11/15 rule. New rules have dropped the total on duty and riving down to 14 nowadays. That was the time I'm taking anyone's word for a flat rate per day estimate.

Civilian Motor Vehicle Operator WG-5 Overseas in Europe for the US Government, 92nd Trans Co, V Corps, driving in Germany and Holland: $6.50/hour (1976-1978)

Then the usual pennnies per mile, and on a graduated scale of More the miles, the less pennies per mile. Surprised to see that this scam is still lurking around these days.

Then with my own delivery business, a flat rate charged to the customer for a pickup to delivery; regardless of the traffic conditions which may slow the trip from a 3 hour delivery into a 6-7-8 hour trip. As a business owner - there

Those guys who haul local union LTL stuff around here DO make between $16-$22 per hour, each and every minute, with overtime I believe. They work about 50 hour weeks, hump a lot of freight, but rake in some good decent cash and get home every day. Averitt, UPS, SouthEastern, just to name a few. Like you said, they are all company drivers; some union.

O.O.'s have to work on a flat rate or percentage per trip payment method, but that doesn't mean mandatory waiting time unless you run out of hours. (that's when the second set of log books come out...)

Might apply for one of those jobs if they'd take in an old man with bifocals...

OOIDA MEMBER#: 708700

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
RE: Paid by the hour to drive a truck?

dont talk second log books on expedite site,we are all running legal,and I see you are ooida member,we all run comliant.
if while on an expedite load,and a dot officer sees your illegal,then shuts you down for 10 hours,hate to say what happens to the company your leased to next.