The benefits of hanging around truck drivers

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
I was talking to a guy who essentially lives in his van. He's not a bum, really, just more like a permanent camper. I was asking him his opinion on my AC problem, and I mentioned that, as a fat guy, I gotta have my AC. He said, "You're not fat."

I thought, "Poor bas***d...his vision is failing. Wonder how long that's been going on."

"I'm not?"

"No. I've been watching other drivers walk by all morning. You're not that fat."

It's kind of like standing next to Dom Delouise or John Pinette . I go from fat to just kinda chubby instantly.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Fat to chubby, know how you feel there.

I stood in line for my morning sub and was surrounded by guys and gals who had to weigh in more than an APU. I felt skinny.

The other day I am watching as a couple got out of their Volvo, the guy had to tip 400 and she wasn't too far behind. His pants fell a few times as he struggled to get out - not a pretty sight.

Freightdawg

Expert Expediter
I find that when I hang around really really fat people, or really really ugly people, I don't look so bad!:D

stamp11127

Seasoned Expediter
When I was running LTL, I stopped at a Pilot in Toledo for the night. In the morning while eating breakfast in the truck, the driver parked next to me came out from the Pilot and proceeded to get in his truck. First he put a 4x4 on the ground to stand on, then he went through the weight shifting dance to lob his weight up to the first step on the tank. Same procedure for the next step to finally lay on the driver seat in order to climb into the cab. This was the only time I have seen a KW lean from the drivers weight.
I felt really sad for this guy. Way overweight is an understatement. He has redefined "Dunlop Disease" with the amount of belly hanging down.
If your wondering how he got the 4x4 back it was attached to a rope.
I won't say what came to mind as he bent over his seat, bottom of his huge belly exposed between his legs.
It was a short breakfast.

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
Now I know why people come talk to me at the truck stop! They wanna look liddle and purdy!

LOL.

Dale

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
Thats one of the good things about this job for me. At 6'2" and 250 lbs I am still one of the skinney guys.:)

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
When I was running LTL, I stopped at a Pilot in Toledo for the night. In the morning while eating breakfast in the truck, the driver parked next to me came out from the Pilot and proceeded to get in his truck. First he put a 4x4 on the ground to stand on, then he went through the weight shifting dance to lob his weight up to the first step on the tank. Same procedure for the next step to finally lay on the driver seat in order to climb into the cab. This was the only time I have seen a KW lean from the drivers weight.
I felt really sad for this guy. Way overweight is an understatement. He has redefined "Dunlop Disease" with the amount of belly hanging down.
If your wondering how he got the 4x4 back it was attached to a rope.
I won't say what came to mind as he bent over his seat, bottom of his huge belly exposed between his legs.
It was a short breakfast.
I shudder to think of the procedures necessary for this guy to slide some balky tandems, with repeated trips necessary from the cab to the tandems and back.

I once heard of a team of huge guys in a cabover. The guy telling me this said that whenever they crossed the scales, one of them had to get out and walk to the far side of the scales, where, after they weighed, he could get back in. Only way they wouldn't be over on their steers.

stamp11127

Seasoned Expediter
AMonger, I'll admit I'm a sick puppy most of the time. After reading your reply my first thought was this cab over with oversize load markings - and those two big ol' boys...