The Absolute Importance of Doing Our Job Well

ATeam

Retired Expediter
In the last few weeks I have, online, made and interacted with a number of transportation industry contacts and supply chain professionals beyond expediting. As I do, it becomes crystal clear how very important it is that we -- the truck drivers who physically pick up, transport and deliver the freight -- do our jobs well.

When we complete one load after another, pickups and deliveries become routine. It is easy to see the freight as, well, freight. Pick it up, secure it, transport it, unload it, do it all safely and on time, turn in the paperwork and move on to the next load. That's what we do.

Listening to people who manufacture, package, ship, receive and use the stuff that is on our trucks for a time reminds me of the people involved in the big picture.

It is an act of faith for manufacturers, supply chain managers, carriers, shippers, agents, brokers, dispatchers, end-use customers, and a host of others, to ship and receive stuff in a way that involves our trucks. Just as we seldom meet most of the people involved in a shipment, they seldom meet us. Yet behind each load, there is a host of people for whom successful delivery is vital.

When a load of freight is on our trucks, everything involved in that load is in our hands. If we fail to deliver the freight safely and on time, everything that went into that shipment comes crashing down.

The sales rep or broker that created the relationship between the shipper and carrier suffers. The relationship between the shipper and carrier suffers. The dispatcher or agent that works with the shipper suffers. The carrier's reputation among shippers may suffer. The manufacturer and end-user of the item(s) shipped suffer. Everyone suffers who hopes to profit by making, transporting and using the goods.

More could be listed. The point is, a lot of people's interests are in our hands when their freight and the business relationships that lie behind it are on on our trucks.

It is easy to fall into the belief that as truckers, we are the lower-rung, lower-paid people in the supply chain who don't get to use the front door and nice bathrooms in the office building. While it is true that we don't get to use the nice bathrooms, don't you believe for a second that our work is unimportant. When we have freight on our trucks, we carry not only the freight, but also the success or failure of everyone involved in that shipment.

Doing our jobs well is a responsibility that expediters especially take seriously, as shown by our collective, near 100 percent rate of successful pickups and deliveries. In our business, yes, we move freight. We are in the people business too. With every shipment, we serve a host of people for whom it is absolutely essential that we do our job well.

Last edited:

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Yes, we are just one link in a chain of events....no one link is more important than the other...one weak link anywhere in the chain effects the integrity of the whole chain...:)

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
So true. On observation the other day i wondered to myself this question why than are our rates so low? Just look around ya, filthy trucks that a company could careless to wash even once a year people who prsent themselves in the same manner as the truck I just mentioned.
So I ask myself just because I am groomed (rarely ever smell bad, brushed teeth or tooth or two, invest $ into truck wash and some polish every now and than) One might think this could bring notice and maybee a few more $

As long as the freight gets their and we delivered it CHEAP seems to be all that corporate America cares about anymore. Rates have fallen so low that DH in some cases is really a better choice than to tie ones time up at a long load cause shipper did not schedule enough staff to load you and YOUR TIME IS NOT THEIRR$$$$$$ We are free labor, free cargo storeage etc....

I believe in doing ones best ALWAYS use to be the harder, smarter one worked one would be rewarded. Welcome to the new world, dont mean crap anymore the rules have changed.

I would love to know what to do next to figure out the new rule seems as though I am so entrenched at the old ways that I can not figure out top from bottom. I believe what was written by Ateam but just do not look to be rewarded for those efforts as it is only your pride or selfpride cause in my opinion companies just do not care about a good job only the bottom line.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Phil,
I read this three times and here is my take;

We are truckers, we deal with freight. We are a very very small part of a very large transportation picture of an even larger business picture. Our work has less of an impact than what most think because in the bigger scheme of things we are expendable as individuals but not as a group.

Our world is one of competitiveness that you have zero clue about. Not saying it is a bad thing, but you have yet to make the leap to anywhere else to understand what it is like to deal with real competition. FedEx does the work for you that is unlike me where I have to sell myself to my company on a regular basis because of internal competition, something that I never had to do with FedEx or the other company. Others have to deal with being independent and totally responsible for every dime they produce which allows them to where multiple hats; sales, accountant, customer care and driver.

Relationships, sales or customer service are more built on emotions and other factors than performance of individual truckers. I have had to deal with the most idiotic requests to keep customers happy, even in this business. But I have learned that unless the company backs me up when I try to solve a customer’s problem, I can’t and it is not my fault for trying. Take my GM experience as a good example, FedEx refused to address the issue when the customer was begging for a specific solution, they insisted on an alternative solution. FedEx intake took the position that they knew better than the customer and it was the customer who went elsewhere. I tried to get someone else involved from my end but later learned that they would not get involved because it wasn’t their job. The work wasn’t affected by a lack of performance on the driver’s part but on the carrier’s part and this person was p*ssed and refused to use FedEx again.

To put this in perspective for others who don’t get why I am posting what I am posting, you are at the top of the food chain in this niche market, you have nothing to do with sales and in all actually your company doesn’t want you to sell the brand as an individual but as a “branded truck” (their words) – show up, do the job and go. You perform on a higher level to set your work apart from the rest as part of their idea of what higher customer service should be. This all but removes you from what people at the lower end of the food chain see on a regular basis, like me, and the performance on our end doesn’t have that great of an impact as you make it out to be.

Now Phil, don’t get me wrong, this does not take away from the fact that we should all be doing a good job within the capabilities of one’s self, nor does it remove any factors or poor customer service has a great impact if there is negligence involved on anyone’s part in the chain but there are limitations and the carrier places those limitation on us. Doing a good job should be a standard for everyone to follow but it is not, we can see all the time poor performers and it is not the people who are not dressed nicely or have a dirty truck but rather the ones with the attitude that they deserve that run or the good money all the time. We, the people in the small trucks have to work along side the people in the big trucks and shippers do not make a distinction between us unless we are someone special. We take the freight that is given to us and do the best we can to get it there safely and legally and this is all the shipper can ever ask for.

I think what gets me is some of us have been saying things like this for a while and you just woke up to it.

bluejaybee

Veteran Expediter
Wow! Just when I start to think about how I really feel, here comes another thought I have to ponder on. I have bought larger T shirts to try and cover my pot belly. Now if I can just figure out how washing my truck more than twice a year is going to make me more money.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Certainly makes a difference as to whether you are living in the box, or outside of it.

bluejaybee

Veteran Expediter
But why so serious all the time? I go about in clean clothes and smelling good (my opinion of course). I laugh, cut up, try to fit in with whoever I am dealing with. If they are pleasant and friendly, so am I. If they are not, I am still friendly and pleasant. My mind is not on the money or who is looking at me as I go down the road. I don't constantly worry about my CPM as some talk about in every post. My worry is not where my next load is coming from or how long I will have to sit for it. DH miles never put a gray hair in my head. Whatever happens, happens. There are those who hate this attitude, but remember what I said. I do what I have to do to make it. And I go down the road thinking of my little dogs happiness every time I get home. I think of the different things I love to do besides drive. My mind is most often on the pleasures in life, not the worries. There are some who are like the news channel on TV. They think expediting has to be analyzed, spectulized, mathimatized and any other "tized" I may have left out. But then I have always known that I am different.

DougTravels

Not a Member
But why so serious all the time? I go about in clean clothes and smelling good (my opinion of course). I laugh, cut up, try to fit in with whoever I am dealing with. If they are pleasant and friendly, so am I. If they are not, I am still friendly and pleasant. My mind is not on the money or who is looking at me as I go down the road. I don't constantly worry about my CPM as some talk about in every post. My worry is not where my next load is coming from or how long I will have to sit for it. DH miles never put a gray hair in my head. Whatever happens, happens. There are those who hate this attitude, but remember what I said. I do what I have to do to make it. And I go down the road thinking of my little dogs happiness every time I get home. I think of the different things I love to do besides drive. My mind is most often on the pleasures in life, not the worries. There are some who are like the news channel on TV. They think expediting has to be analyzed, spectulized, mathimatized and any other "tized" I may have left out. But then I have always known that I am different.

The world would be a better place, if more had your attitude. I agree with Phil's post although somewhat obvious, we do need reminders now and again to do our jobs and do it well. Alot of people depend on us for that. Like Phil said from the shippers to the receivers to others on the roadways to our friends and family and pets back home. We should get our jobs done and get back home safe. :)

Yesteryear

Expert Expediter
Bluejaybee, why think of your little dogs happiness when you get home? Why not make your little dog happy by taking him/her with you? I could not imagine leaving my little Miss Minnie home! Where I go, she goes. It makes life on the road so much happier. The brush of her little nose against my face in the morning to wake me, she is like my little alarm clock, or to see her smiling eyes when I open the treat cabinet in the evening. She is just a joy to behold. Take your baby with you. It is such a joy to have Miss Minnie beside me as I go down the road. So soothing to reach over and pet her as I day dream of happy things. There is no feeling like that of the unconditional love of my little Miss Minnie. The smile in her eyes or her playful little bark.

As for this thread we should all do the best job possible out of respect for ourselves as individuals. Our performance says a lot about us as a person not just a driver. We should keep our equipment clean, well maintained and strive to always be on-time for pick ups and deliveries. Always treat our customers as we would want to be treated, with respect and absolutely never air any grievances we may have to a customer. Remember if your carrier loses that customer, so do you. :eek:

ATeam

Retired Expediter
I would love to know what to do next to figure out the new rule seems as though I am so entrenched at the old ways that I can not figure out top from bottom. I believe what was written by Ateam but just do not look to be rewarded for those efforts as it is only your pride or selfpride cause in my opinion companies just do not care about a good job only the bottom line.

Notice that I did not say do our work well so that we will be rewarded. I said do our work well so others may succeed.

While there are certain business benefits that come with keeping your truck clean and yourself well-groomed, they are tangential at best. If two drivers (or teams) show up at the same dock at the same time, with one being clean and the other a dirt bag, with the clean one in a shiny new truck and the dirt bag in a beat up junker, there is nothing to say the dirt bag won't get the next load from the same shipper.

You are right. Shippers tend to put price ahead of most other considerations when putting a load on a truck. Exceptions to that occur in high-value, exclusive-use cases where a shipper may care deeply that his or her freight goes on a clean truck and is handled by a driver(s) that presents a professional image.

I made no mention in my post about being rewarded for doing your job well or driving a clean truck or presenting a professional image. I said only that it is important to do our jobs well so others succeed. The logic is simple. If they fail, we fail too. We are part of a larger supply chain. For everyone involved in a shipment to succeed, we must hold up our end, just as they must hold up each of theirs.

That does not mean that our financial success should take a back seat (for those of us who are in this business for the money). Indeed, there are a bunch of expediters that make more money than many of the customers and people in the supply chain that we serve.

Looking good and conducting yourself professionally may get you a load every now and then that you otherwise would not have. If a broker, agent or dispatcher who has discretion to assign trucks to loads (like in LEA) comes to trust you because of the good relationship you have built with him or her, you will get more loads too, but only if you do not price yourself out of the market.

When growing up, most people are taught that "Cleanliness is next to Godliness." You quickly learn, from people who are four times your size and have total power over you, that you are a good boy or girl if you are clean and a bad boy or girl if you are not. That value becomes deeply ingrained. When people reach the stage of life where they are the adults towering over toddlers, the same value is not only instinctively taught but also enforced.

That is all well and good. However, financial success does not come to expediters because they are good boys or good girls and they are acting in ways that will please their parents and other authority figures. It comes because they are good business people with good work ethics.

While keeping yourself clean and presenting a professional image won't hurt, doing so is not sufficient to produce financial rewards. For financial rewards, business skills are needed. The good news is, if business skills are lacking, they can be developed.

While I have not been wrong in my expectation, I have been wrong in the time frame. I expected that the recession would force weaker players out of the business, thereby improving the business environment for those who have the strength to survive. While that is exactly what is happening, it is happening at a rate slower than I anticipated.

There are two reasons. One is the supply of available freight has not leveled off. It continues to decline faster than the supply of available trucks. A truck surplus continues, which puts downward pressure on rates.

The other reason is the owner-operators who live hand-to-mouth are clinging to their trucks instead of cutting their losses and moving on. In a weak job market and recessionary business environment, they see no place else to go. They will take money-losing loads to keep desperately-needed cash coming in until other people (repo man) or events (major breakdown, accident, health) force them out of the business.

Even if some of the money-losing expediters cut their losses and get out on their own, those remain who use expediting as the next step up from living on the street. As long as they make enough money to keep them out of the rain when they sleep in a junker truck and can finance their next carton of smokes and trip to the buffet, they are happy. They are achieving everything they want to achieve.

By my definition, that makes them successful expediters. The same applies to the hobby expediters who use expediting as a paid-vacation to see the country, and the tide-me-over expediters who enter the industry, planning to stay only as long as they must until a "better" job at home is found.

In good times and bad, paid vacationers, tide-me-over expediters and glorified street people are a constant presence in expediting. Bad economic times add a fourth competitive element; namely, the expediters who are in the process of failing and -- desperate for cash -- will run most any load at any price. All of these put downward pressure on professional standards and rates.

Instead of judging these people as wrong or getting caught in the mental and emotional "it's not fair" trap, it may be more profitable to simply accept these people as part of the game. From there, you can set your goals and chart your course.

We must also note, of course, that it is easier to make good money as an expediter when general economic conditions are favorable. We are in the midst of the most severe recession of our lifetimes and no clear bottom has yet been established. That too is part of the environment in which we work. It too should be considered when we set our goals and chart our course.

Like you, Broompilot, Diane and I keep ourselves and our truck clean and present a professional appearance when interacting with the people we serve. But we do not expect to be rewarded with good money because of that alone.

We expect to be rewarded with good money because we have positioned ourselves in the industry as we have, we do the work required to succeed, our goals guide the decisions we make, and we make an ongoing effort to identify and further develop the business skills needed to achieve our goals.

Seventeen months into the recession and further than that into the freight recession that transportation industry leaders talk about, this approach is serving us as well as it did in the five fantastic years we had after entering the business. The recession has slowed the rate at which we are achieving our goals but we remain stong in the business and the rewards continue to come.

Our prosperity as expediters did not come because we have clean bodies and a clean truck. It did not come because we can haul freight as safely, promptly and reilably as almost all other expediters do. It did not come because we grew up to be a good boy and good girl. It came because developed and used certain business skills to not only haul freight but to manage our assets and liabilities to build wealth.

One of those skills includes letting go of the things that keep you from moving forward. That may include obvious things like selling some of your toys to get out from under a killer debt burden. It may include improving your cash flow by giving up expensive habits or tastes that you really can live without.

More subbtle and powerful is letting go of opinions that may keep you from seeing YOUR way to financial success.

If you look upon a dirt-bag truck driver and think to yourself that you are better than him or her, are you really? He or she can haul the same freight you can and may be eager to do so at a lower price. In the eyes of many shippers and brokers, the two of you are no different.

Holding a morally-based, better-than opinion stops you from looking beyond. If you instead accept the fact that in terms of freight-hauling basics, you have nothing more to offer the world than the driver you look down on, you become free to judge yourself instead of others. You see the competitive environment more clearly and thereby become better able chart your course.

Consider the world. There is the way you think the world should be and the way it is. The more clearly you see the world as it is, the less encumbered you will be by the "shoulds" you place upon it.

Of course, people should treat people better than they do. Of course everyone should be treated fairly. Of course injustices should be addressed. Of course your children should have the opportunity and freedom to grow up to be good people. Of course, you should have a safe and secure retirement. But none of that has anything to do with financial success in business. It's not about how the world should be. It's about the kind of business person you want to be and what ou are willing to do to achieve it.

Broompilot, you posted something a few months ago that impressed me and I have often thought about since. You wondered out loud about the true value of the things you have accumulated over time. You named some of them. If I remember right, they included a motorcycle, another vehicle of some kind and maybe your house; things like that, material posessions. That kind of thinking is impressive because it shows you letting go of opinions previously held and a willingness to see things and act differently.

In your post above, you spoke of figuring out the new rule and being entrenched in the old ways. There again you are showing a willingness to change your mind and see things differently.

It is not easy to do what you are doing. I once saw a T-shirt for sale at an art fair that put it well. "Everything I have ever let go of has claw marks all over it."

While economic conditions, new technology, customer needs and a host of other factors affect our businesses every day, there are principles of business success that have stood the test of time. Those are often written about and are easily found. But before turning to those, look first into your head and heart.

Ask:

1. Who am I really?
2. What do I really want?
3. Why do I want it?
4. Am I willing to become the kind of person I need to be and do the things that need to be done to achieve it?

Most business people do not take the inner journey that is required to answer these questions. Those that do have an edge. With clarity of purpose achieved and counter-productive opinions purged, they can approach their chosen field of endeavor with energy, dedication and focus that many others do not have.

To sum up:

1. We are part of the supply chain and it is important to hold up our end.

2. We do not get financially rewarded as truck drivers for being clean or being good boys or girls. Dirt-bags can haul the same freight we haul. (Exceptions apply in certain exclusive-use, high-value freight situations.)

3. People who need and want less money out of the business than we do have always been around and always will be.

4. Knowing what you want and why gives you an edge that many others do not have, which enhances your ability to succeed in whatever it is you set out to do.

Last edited:

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
This was given to me from Henry Albert who wears a tie everyday as a truck driver to promote an image. He has his own authority so his customers are his business. He has carried this bulletin with him for 18 years as a reminder of who he is and what image he wants to portray.

KNIGHTS OF THE ROAD

Courtesy Pays – Literally
Professional drivers long have been considered the knights of the road. They’re seen as the kind of people that stranded motorist can turn to in a jam – a corps of competent professionals who’ll willingly lend a hand when roadside assistance is needed.
Courtesy should be your constant driving companion. You and your employer will reap the rewards of repeat business. Your company’s image is enhanced and in any case, you’ll have the satisfaction of knowing that you’ve treated people with respect and concern.
Keep Your Cool
Of course, there times when something infuriates you. It’s easy to react in a way that’s not very knight like. When that happens, take a couple of deep breaths before you react. Make an effort to keep your cool, and don’t try to “get back” at inept drivers with harassing practices of your own.
Anger responses create hazardous conditions. If your response is courteous under all circumstances – even the most difficult ones – it will prove that you’re a professional.
Public Relations
Whether you know it or not, you’re in the public relations business – especially when your company name is on the vehicle. To all who see your vehicle, you are your company. If a customer, or anyone else, sees you as kind, courteous, considerate and cooperative, he’s more likely to go on doing business with your company. No one likes a grouch, so be cheerful. Make sure ever customer looks forward to your return.
On the Road
Courtesy on the road is another must. Your driving reflects on your company. Many others share the road with you and you need to treat them all with respect. If you were to drive carelessly, or without, regard for others, it would get back to your bosses, sooner or later.
As a careful, courteous driver, you may watch as others tail gate, speed, and pass vehicles with sufficient space, but you’ll resist the temptation to do those things yourself. Not will have any interest in leaning on your horn, blinding other drivers with your headlights or hogging the road.
Likewise, you’ll be well aware that knights of the road don’t use abusive language on the CB radio – or in any other situation.
Be Ready To Help
As a pro, you’re always ready to help others. You should have a working knowledge of first-aid, including CPR, so you’ll know what to do in case you witness an accident or some other emergency. Some states require that drivers be certified in first aid techniques before they can qualify for immunity from civil liability under good “Samaritan” lzaws. Use your CB to notify the police if you come across an emergency. Know how to protect the scene. And always be quick to lend a hand to stranded motorist.
It All Pays Off
You probably have more contact with customers than anyone else in your company. If you maintain a helpful, honest, polite, and courteous attitude, you’ll be doing a lot of good for your employer, and yourself.
At the same time, you’ll feel good about yourself if you treat others with respect and consideration. It will make your life easier and your job more enjoyable.

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
Absolutely to much here for me to consider,but this week, I've run into some real professionals,and they were suppose to be W/G also.I've seen drivers with flip flips,blown out knees in their jeans,to badana's on their heads.Made me ashamed I was even there.
The business we are in,and prices that are charged,customers are expecting more than this,so when your rates seem to suck,you can figure alot is do the the professionals you have to work with.

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
This was given to me from Henry Albert who wears a tie everyday as a truck driver to promote an image. He has his own authority so his customers are his business. He has carried this bulletin with him for 18 years as a reminder of who he is and what image he wants to portray.

KNIGHTS OF THE ROAD

Courtesy Pays – Literally
Professional drivers long have been considered the knights of the road. They’re seen as the kind of people that stranded motorist can turn to in a jam – a corps of competent professionals who’ll willingly lend a hand when roadside assistance is needed.
Courtesy should be your constant driving companion. You and your employer will reap the rewards of repeat business. Your company’s image is enhanced and in any case, you’ll have the satisfaction of knowing that you’ve treated people with respect and concern.
Keep Your Cool
Of course, there times when something infuriates you. It’s easy to react in a way that’s not very knight like. When that happens, take a couple of deep breaths before you react. Make an effort to keep your cool, and don’t try to “get back” at inept drivers with harassing practices of your own.
Anger responses create hazardous conditions. If your response is courteous under all circumstances – even the most difficult ones – it will prove that you’re a professional.
Public Relations
Whether you know it or not, you’re in the public relations business – especially when your company name is on the vehicle. To all who see your vehicle, you are your company. If a customer, or anyone else, sees you as kind, courteous, considerate and cooperative, he’s more likely to go on doing business with your company. No one likes a grouch, so be cheerful. Make sure ever customer looks forward to your return.
On the Road
Courtesy on the road is another must. Your driving reflects on your company. Many others share the road with you and you need to treat them all with respect. If you were to drive carelessly, or without, regard for others, it would get back to your bosses, sooner or later.
As a careful, courteous driver, you may watch as others tail gate, speed, and pass vehicles with sufficient space, but you’ll resist the temptation to do those things yourself. Not will have any interest in leaning on your horn, blinding other drivers with your headlights or hogging the road.
Likewise, you’ll be well aware that knights of the road don’t use abusive language on the CB radio – or in any other situation.
Be Ready To Help
As a pro, you’re always ready to help others. You should have a working knowledge of first-aid, including CPR, so you’ll know what to do in case you witness an accident or some other emergency. Some states require that drivers be certified in first aid techniques before they can qualify for immunity from civil liability under good “Samaritan” lzaws. Use your CB to notify the police if you come across an emergency. Know how to protect the scene. And always be quick to lend a hand to stranded motorist.
It All Pays Off
You probably have more contact with customers than anyone else in your company. If you maintain a helpful, honest, polite, and courteous attitude, you’ll be doing a lot of good for your employer, and yourself.
At the same time, you’ll feel good about yourself if you treat others with respect and consideration. It will make your life easier and your job more enjoyable.

Well said.

bluejaybee

Veteran Expediter
Bluejaybee, why think of your little dogs happiness when you get home? Why not make your little dog happy by taking him/her with you? I could not imagine leaving my little Miss Minnie home! Where I go, she goes. It makes life on the road so much happier. The brush of her little nose against my face in the morning to wake me, she is like my little alarm clock, or to see her smiling eyes when I open the treat cabinet in the evening. She is just a joy to behold. Take your baby with you. It is such a joy to have Miss Minnie beside me as I go down the road. So soothing to reach over and pet her as I day dream of happy things. There is no feeling like that of the unconditional love of my little Miss Minnie. The smile in her eyes or her playful little bark. :eek:

I do take her with me some. She is a joy to have with me. BUT, she is a well loved little one and must be shared with my wife. Mine would be no good as an alarm clock as she will lay in bed as long as we do.

BTW: It is great how many pets are now on the road with their masters. I see them out walking at every place they stop. And some of them are also very large.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Sorry to all of you but I have a hard time with something that is being said here.

I find the judgment of fellow professionals who are being called "tide-me-over expediters" or "glorified street people" offensive to the people who are doing their best to survive in these times. It is a clear indication that there is a bit of elitism here coupled with a real lack of consideration of what others are going through and bring to this business in the form of quality to their work, their company and the customers they serve irregardless what they appear to be.

Words like "Dirt Bag","tide-me-over expediters" and "glorified street people" clearly show that someone has not been around long enough or worked at different levels in this industry to understand what others face in other situations in their professional lives or what the common struggle is all about that many among us go through to keep moving in hard times.

The idea that company contractors have to operate in such a way or risk losing work in a generalized manner without putting it into context of the bigger pictures and how much control we actually have, falsely reinforces the idea that this should be left to those who are special and who claim to be the model of all to behold and is elitism within our profession.

Elitism within a or any group seems to shine through in this way of thinking which I've seen many times in my former company, contractors looking down on other contractors because of their dress, mannerism or age of their truck AND their position within the fleet.

It seems that there is this great big deal that it is the only ones who present an all around professional image are only the quintessential professionals - which is the farthest from the truth. It is too bad that we can't all be uniformed, perfectly groomed with new clean trucks that our companies want us to present to preserve their image at all times and at all costs while it is further more too bad that if we meet those 'requirements' above the hard work that others are doing, we get rewarded for selling that image instead of being part of an equal playing field. We can't in reality, and shouldn't because our professionalism derived from our diverse backgrounds seem to be bringing more than the spit and polish professionalism that many scream needs to be there to succeed.

But alas if some companies did their job, didn't have favoritism at all and treated everyone the same - fleet owner, owner operator or driver alike - maybe it would be a better place for those who struggle and not be put into a category of "tide-me-over expediters" or "glorified street people" while others who pass judgment would know what it takes to be successful by starting at the bottom to climb the ladder - in other words have a true level playing field.

What further concerns me about this elitism in some of these posts I have read is the fact that a possible "tide-me-over expediters" or a "glorified street people" expediter was talked about a few months ago, someone who was living on five or ten dollars a day (which a lot of us do) and about to lose his truck but wasn't talked about in this derogatory manner as others. He was 'helped' by the same person who has categorized others as "tide-me-over expediters and glorified street people". Which begs the question was that a selective look at one's situation to serve a purpose other than helping others?

But let's look at a few facts for the heck of it (seeing I have nothing to do for a while).

Fact - the company that you work for, dictates what you are supposed to learn and how you operate. Even though many have this idea that this is an easy business to learn, it is only as easy as the company makes it out to be. The employee attitude is prevalent among a lot of the people we call expediters because of their lack of involvement with the company - in other words they do all the work, you just haul the freight.

Fact - that companies are as diversified as the people contracted to them. For example FedEx is not like anyone else, Panther is not like anyone else and LEAM is not like anyone else. These three companies are diverse enough that they support a large customer base and provide more than one solution to a customer's need. FedEx is by far the largest, it is the one who has focused on other areas of their portfolio of services and products first but at the same time under utilizes its expediting fleet which further sets them apart.

Fact - there is less and less expedited freight to be had (this excludes the high value, high maintenance freight), most of what we do is not time sensitive because of the economic pressures that force shippers to look for reductions in costs but the time sensitive nature of the freight is rather a selling point to keep a competitive edge between a lot of companies. Most of what the majority handles seem to be in fact spill over from the larger industry of generalized trucking.

Fact - a lot of our work as Expediters are generated from the Third Party Logistics end of the industry, which means no matter what we do, that customer may be a fleeting one and/or we haul their freight only after it is passed through a bunch of hands which we can't or don't make any impact or impression with the customers at either end. This alone negates any absolutes in this market, we can't control what happens, the reaction to things out of our hand or even involvement in a 3PL load to solve a problem.

Fact - shippers don't care what the truck looks like on our end of the food chain when common freight is involved, most of us deal with the common freight and they pay to move it just like it was going on a tractor with a trailer behind it.

Fact - high priced shipments are handled a lot differently than the shipments of totes of auto parts or skids of paper product and the price reflects the level of service that the customer wants. WG and Panther Elite are two groups that handle High Value freight as part of their marketing strategy, and it is completely separate from hauling general freight as the norm of the marketing plan and function of the groups.

Fact - that people who start at the top don't see what others see that climbed up the ladder in this industry and what they have to do to get to the next rung. They seem to work and live in an abstract world that has their foundation on a limited viewpoint. Success is not always the stuff or money or any tangible thing but it can be experience of failure too.

Fact - there are some who have had 'favors' done for, many of these favors put people at the top of their game bypassing the ladder all together. Some of these favors allow some to make the money over others, even people who have poor stats can get work over others because of favors. The people who can't have favors done for them depend on hard work and perseverance to survive and still succeed while others who say that they don't exist or it doesn't happen either don't want to admit it was done for them or are living in another world.

Fact - the people who do the actual work are usually the ones who have the least control over what happens outside of their truck and in many cases, the bigger the company, the less of an impact they have on any relationship that the company has with the customer. What goes along with this is the fact that the bigger the company, the less likely that the driver will be allowed to represent the company as a sales person but just to do a job as they are told.

Fact - many in this business are not realistic in their thinking. Many think that they have control beyond their business, the truck they own and overall means to generate revenue for themselves and their company but that is not the case. You can have the perfect stats but not get a load offer but the guy who complains to the dispatcher all the time gets the work. You can not control what the company does and it does not matter where you are in the food chain as a contractor, the company makes or breaks you and it is the inequities that matter.

Fact - most of the people out here and in the expediting world at large do take pride in their work and themselves but there is a limit because of the diversity within the industry. This is not a job where we have to present ourselves as perfect professionals in gray attire in order to fit in but we are a part of an industry that has evolved to allow several types of people to be part of it and has made allowances for their lifestyles, be it people who don't wear uniforms or people who do.

Thought - this site should not have an ignore list. Phil has decided that it is better not to read my replies than to put up with my opposing view point, even though a number of members agree with me in both substance and form. But as the editor of a sister publication, I am amazed that he would do this, ignoring opposing points of view is not very editorial like to me and shows that he has yet to understand that professionalism applies to all levels of any job which is ironic because he is talking about it here.

Closing - I believe that everyone should always do their best, be patient with everyone involved and to communicate. Treat people better than you expect but don't let them walk all over you. You are in business for yourself, not the company you are driving for and if they dictate to you, then they are not interested in you but just to make a buck. Success is something you define, no one else defines it and it could simply be something to tie you over until something better comes along or something that allows you to survive or making a new career out of it. Don't let others fool you that success is only one or two formulas or that they have found success, because they leave out a lot of truth most of the time. Success doesn't come easy as others keep saying and promoting - this is hard and dangerous work, there is a lot of experience that needs to be gained through trial and error and sometimes patients in listening to differing opinions and deciphering what may work for you. We all work in a part of an industry where expectations are low to begin with which allows a lot of people to BS their way into better positions within companies to make more money, a lot will fight to keep all of that secret but it is one of the human tragedy of life that happens in a lot of industries, trucking and IT I seen it a lot. We all work in an industry where the big boys are reaching to the bottom of society barrel to fill drivers seats and we are all inundated with bad drivers, bad attitudes and a lot of competition to make a buck at the same time many are faced with the lumping of all of the people into one category without looking at the person, the quality that they bring or how professional they actually are. Technology has allowed people to enter the business when only ten or fifteen years ago it was not possible for them, but now we have elderly retirees and people who never drove a truck entering this business, some who never had to deal with customers or know what customer service is all about but can claim to be experts or hold themselves up as successes. There are times where you have to take the losses and other times when you cash in but it all depends on the company and your expectations right from the start based on realistic information about this niche market we call expediting.

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
There have been some interesting threads recently. This one included. We have folks leaving the industry after 10 - 15 years of riding the gravy train, cause it's gitt'in "too tuff" out there. These same folks were of the "part timer/tourist" gang that for all practical purposes ruined it for you that "wanna" do good things. Sooo... if you have too many incessant regulations, stupid requirements, or unnecessary witholdings by your Carrier, and a real downturn in freight, you prolly have few to blame other than your predecessors. It's too far, too hot, i'm too tired etc.

So where did the freight go???

Many GOOD people have gotten tired of the samo, samo over the years. And many not so good did too. The good ones that decided to go it alone, for all the RIGHT reasons prolly got much, (if not most) of yer good paying freight. Once the shipper realizes that they don't hafta put up with the--dirty, clueless, inept, rude, thoughtless, lazy, and last but not least a different faced driver for each load, then the party is pretty much over.

It is, of exteme importance that you do your job well.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Several interesting observations that we might not have seen a year or so ago.

piper1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I finally sat down and read through all of this and ... everyone is right.

There will be some customers who value a clean truck and well dressed/groomed drivers and there will be customers who couldn't care less.

There are drivers who value having a clean truck and being clean, to others it is no big deal.

Some guys survive on 10-12 dollars a day and think that's OK, at least they have 10-12 dollars! Others in this situation would feel that this is not what they had in mind and call it failure.

Some folks like wheeling and dealing for their freight, some like the carrier to "do all the work".

It's a big world full of real people. People don't always think with 100% logic, and thank God they don't. People will aspire to different goals and different lifestyles. Customers have different needs and different wants, so we have different carriers that behave and do things differently.

People join churches, associations, clubs etc to be around folks that see the world as they see it so that they can share their experiences without a lot of debate. We as expediters, sign on with carriers that provide the environment that suits our needs and when we don't like it, we can go elsewhere.

To judge somebody on the cleanliness of their truck or to throw stones at them because they want to portray a "Dudley Do Right" image says more about you than it does them. I fully confess to doing this myself on several occasions and at the end of the day I discovered it solves nothing, and really says something about me that I have judged someone else and felt superior because I thought I was doing it better.

My expediting goals and ways are a lot closer to Phil's than they are to Greg's. They are because I want them to be not because I think Phil is some kind of hero. I don't think Greg's (or anyone else's) ways are wrong or worse than mine, it's just not my deal. That said, I think I would much rather meet Greg and have a beverage and shoot the breeze with him and talk business. I may not profess to his ways but I sure would enjoy finding out why HE does, and learn from it. When you speak you hear what you know, when you listen, you learn. I also don't feel the need to broadcast "The Piper Way" of doing things at every turn. The "Piper Way" works for Piper, it may not work for anyone else so to broadcast it as "the way" is pretty silly. I see some truck specs (one area where I have some knowledge) and shake my head, but if it works for the folks involved, why judge? Ask and listen and maybe learn that it works in that case.

We are all people who like different cars, pray at different places and cheer for different teams. It's what makes the world an interesting place. EO is just a microcosim of the world!!

Last edited:

ATeam

Retired Expediter
I also don't feel the need to broadcast "The Piper Way" of doing things at every turn. The "Piper Way" works for Piper, it may not work for anyone else so to broadcast it as "the way" is pretty silly.

I would encourage you to broadcast the "Piper Way." Doing so would be a tremendous resource for anyone interested in developing or refining their way. The Piper Way, Madsen Way and anyone else's way is not THE way, but A way. Sharing your way is a contribution to everyone thinking through their own.