Thanksgiving- is there any freight that week?

drivingmecrazy

Seasoned Expediter
This will be our first Thanksgiving holiday on the road- we want to stay out and run ( can't really afford not to)is there any freight that week- and while we are on that topic= I've heard from drivers that the last two weeks in December- through Jan 3rd just better off to stay home then also. What do you think?

Suds43

Seasoned Expediter
We always came home for Thanksgiving......not much going on....and came home for X-mas and New Years......but have heard some staying out just to have the "numbers" in their favor.......more trucks at home than in service.......

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Last year I had a run from TN to OR loading the Tue before and del the Mon after Thanksgiving. I had planned to go home but couldn't pass up 2500 miles. I loaded Mon evening in OR and del to a swap unit in SLC last Tue night. Thu morning I loaded in Orem and del Sat in San Antonio. From the Tue before to the second Sat after I had almost 5000 paid miles in 12 days.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB
OOIDA Life Member 677319, JOIN NOW
Owner, Panther trucks 5508, 5509, 5641
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
We have not done well over Thanksgiving. This year we have planned truck work and hunting for that time frame. We will always come home for the Christmas/New Year week. For sure while my dad is still around. Family comes first with us, business second. Layoutshooter

easyrider2697

Expert Expediter
I have worked that week for the last 5 yrs and have always stayed busy during the week, dont remember doing too much on that day, might have already been on a load though........gonna change this year and take it off, but I bet I will have LBJ's luck and have a good offer this time.

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
Nobody knows. Unless, they have a crystal ball for what is going to happen. If you are "lucky" and in the right place, you may hit a "home run" just like any other day. But, with most OOS, the likelyhood of a homerun is greater.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
We run over the Thanksgiving holiday.

Thanksgiving 2003: Delivered Wednesday, 11/26 in Kent, WA. Picked up Friday, 11/28 in Tulatin, OR and ran that load to New Mexico. Had Thanksgiving dinner in the fine dining restaurant atop Seattle's Space Needle.

Thanksgiving 2004: Picked up Wednesday, 11/24 in Rochester, MN, just 50 miles from our home. It was a load going to San Francisco but because of the holiday, did not need to be delivered until Monday, 11/29. While the truck sat loaded in the driveway, we enjoyed Thanksgiving day and feasted with family at home.

Thanksgiving 2005: Delivered Wednesday, 11/23 in Jackson Hole, WY. Having been running hard, we stopped for a rest, not because of the holiday, but because we needed rest. But being in the Jackson Hole vacation area, it was easy to find a nice ski-resort hotel and enjoy the Thanksgiving day feast they served. On Friday, 11/25, we deadheaded to Salt Lake City to wait for freight. Our next load picked up in Denver on Monday, 11/28.

Thanksgiving 2006: Picked up Wednesday, 11/22 in New Jersey and delivered Monday, 11/27 in Oregon. Ran coast to coast over the Thanksgiving weekend. Enjoyed Thanksgiving dinner at a Cracker Barrel restaurant in Ohio.

Thanksgiving 2007: Planing to run, waiting to see.

tmbm

Seasoned Expediter
Last year stayed out for Thanksgiving. Had load picking just north of L.A. that went to Alaska. Was a true experience. Planning to be home this year though, my dad had open heart surgery earlier this year and just feel the need to be with family over the holidays. As far as Christmas, can't help...will always (unless impossible) be with grandbabies for Christmas.

Falligator

Expert Expediter
The week leading up to Thanksgiving seems to be pretty busy for me. The week b4 last thanksgiving I had gotten a load from Peoria, ILL. to Meridian, ID on a Monday and had to DH back to OH to get back by thursday. unfortanately i didn't p/u any loads out of the quad citys or chicago or i would have taken them since I was available the entire time i headed back. But with that one load I had all the miles that i wanted for the week. just had to spend a bit more on gas going home. Some nice scenery once you get into Western Nebraska. but Nebraska is one boring state to drive through. and I'm glad I had my Satellite radio.

ShawnF

prescat

Expert Expediter
I generally had good luck during Thanksgiving and most other holidays. The fact that there might be slower freight at companies is tempered by the fact that there is a lot less trucks. With that said, the Colonel is right, you never know for sure, and it's still being at the right place at the right time!:)

fastman_1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I've always been Home on Thanksgiving, but stay in Service just in case.

Owner/Operator since 1979
Expediter since 1997
B Unit Semi Retired
Somedays are Diamonds and Somedays are Stones
Home is Wherever you Park.
The Price of Freedom is Written on the Wall.

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter
tmbm,you have more guts than I to accept a load going to Alaska that close to winter.I mean I want to drive there someday,just not at that time of the year.DD.

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
How about a weekend before TG to load Fri (INDY) del Manhattan Sat, reload for del Sun (INDY). Rest a day, load Tue for a del San Francisco fri. Guess there is freight that week.

tmbm

Seasoned Expediter
As I said, it was a true adventure. When we got to Whitehorse, Yukon the Scale Master pulled us in and suggested we shut down in town for the night. The temp was -30 F (actual, not wind chill) and informed us there was nothing that would be open for 200 miles, wouldn't be much traffic and if we broke down it would be very dangerous. We had lost our phone signals a long way back and at that point had lost Qualcomm signal also. Took the suggestion. Next morning got up and saw what they call "ice fog", thickest fog I have ever seen. Almost hit an Elk, Moose or Caribou, not sure which, but it would of messed up the truck for sure. We saw a heard of Buffalo, some of them roaming down the road as if they owned it. Drove up a mountain that was so high, we went into the clouds. The northern Rockies make the Colorado Rockies look like the Blue Ridge. One night the moon was hidden, no towns, houses or businesses for 2 hours, literally the only light I had was the truck lights. The one thing that stood out the most, and you just can't explain with words, and even the pictures don't capture is the vastness of it all. Took some great pictures, or at least during the 4 hours or so of daylight we had. Would love to go again, but think I would prefer to do it between April and September. I would tell anyone to go as long as their truck is running well, you really don't want to break down up there. Miles and miles of nothing, 2 lane roads with no shoulders, and every thing is very expensive. BTW take lots of money and cash in hand. The fuel then was almost $4 gal with the conversions. Very few truck stops, they're not like the one's in the states, and most don't take comdata or t-card. I tried to include a pic, but couldn't get it to download. Will post some, someday if I figure out how.

CharlesD

Expert Expediter
This is my first year, so I have no past experience to guide me, but I'm kind of hoping to have my cake and eat it too. I'm hoping to get some decent miles between Monday and Wednesday and make it home Thursday morning. Then the following week I'll shoot for some serious miles again. I've been doing pretty well recently.