Thanksgiving Freight

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
Are things pretty slow over the Thanksgiving weekend?
My history shows Wednesday through Sunday are dead but that was with another carrier.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Are things pretty slow over the Thanksgiving weekend?
My history shows Wednesday through Sunday are dead but that was with another carrier.

Let dispatch know you'll be available...and REMIND them....like usual...it is if you are in the right spot....I try to be in what is supposed to be a reasonable area to increase the odds.....I've picked and delivered on Friday and Saturdays....

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
No guarantees, of course, but the Midwest (other than SE MI) and the Carolinas are good spots to be for Thanksgiving. Midland, TX and Vance, AL not so much.

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
Since I am at home and won't have my truck back until Monday I am worried I will only get one run then end up sitting for 5 days 1000 miles away from home.

SWTexas1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
It is a hit and miss, if you are in the right place you can hit it out of the park, or maybe end up sitting.

ebsprintin

Veteran Expediter
last year i picked up a load on friday. i usually try to stay in service for holidays. sometimes i visit family, but i stay in service. it's still a crap shoot.

eb

W

Windsor

And sometimes family is more important than freight, just saying!

guido4475

Not a Member
And sometimes family is more important than freight, just saying!

Yesterday was one of those days that I just didn't take my "expeditors nap"....lol....low and behold, just as I lay my head down to sleep last night, the phone rings...Dispatch? Yea, bid on it, I say, thinking we won't get it....lol....it was going to Dallas anyways...it won't happen.....5 minutes later.....lol...yea, it's a go....lmao.....I than looked at the load pay on the screen, shaking my head, thinking, how can this be, with so many around me?....lol...Oh well. it was sweet, to say the least....thinking I will start my trek northward on Sunday...towards home...and see if they can get me something going the rest of the way eventually....if not, just deadhead home.....I've been out way too long as it is....more than satisfied with what I have done...time to kick up the feet and relax for awhile. Un-wind......de-stress....

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
The more I think about this the more I'm leaning towards staying home and going in service on Friday.
Six feet of snow in Buffalo. Currently 74 degrees at home.:cool:

fr8hlr521

Active Expediter
We decided to stay out this year as we need to go home and move in December, so will be off until after Christmas and wanted to get a little extra in. Downside to living on the edge of the magic freight circle is that it's a little harder to get through the house exactly when you want to. Hopefully it will work out, but one never knows during the holidays.