Temperature Gauge on Sprinter Van

SpaceGhost58

Expert Expediter
Just a question about the temperature range for the Sprinter.
My normal range this winter has been around 180 when the van is running on the road.
When idleing it went down even lower.

I have noticed of late a fluctuation in temperature range while driving.
The temp has gone as high as 200 and then will drop down to 180 again.
The needle never has gone into the red which is about 250 but I get concerned when the needle starts to climb up the gauge.

I have noticed since the weather is getting warmer the needle will go up to around 200 or so but then settle back down to around 180.

Is this something I need to be concerned about?

My fluid levels are good and I was just wondering what other Sprinter drivers are experiencing concerning this issue.

Any inputs are appreciated!!

SG58

tazman

Expert Expediter
I think (and don't quote me) but you may be seeing the radiator fan come on and off....

Most newer vehicles ( including diesels ) have a limit switch that turns on and off the radiator fans at preset temp limits ( high and low).........

Naturally as the temp climbs whne the truck is running the switch will kick on the start the fans and thus lower the temp....

Sound reasonable ????

"The Beast in the East":)

SpaceGhost58

Expert Expediter
Well Tazman it seems to make sense to me but my mechanical skills are not a strong point.

I think I will call a FL dealer and see what they say.

Like I said the temperature seems to run higher in the warmer weather and as the needle climbs up to around 200 degrees or so it then goes back down to 180 degrees.

Curious what other Sprinter drivers are experiencing.

Thanks for the input!!

SG58

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Under normal conditions (between about 50 degrees and 80 degrees, on non-hilly roads) the temp of a Sprinter will hover around the 184 mark, between 178 and `190 for most. When it's hot or going uphill, it'll will go up into the 190s or low 200s, but will quickly drop back down to around 184. I've seen mine go as high as 215 or 218 briefly when climbing mountains out west in the heat, but it drops back down pretty quickly, especially after cresting the hill.

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
Under normal conditions (between about 50 degrees and 80 degrees, on non-hilly roads) the temp of a Sprinter will hover around the 184 mark, between 178 and `190 for most. When it's hot or going uphill, it'll will go up into the 190s or low 200s, but will quickly drop back down to around 184. I've seen mine go as high as 215 or 218 briefly when climbing mountains out west in the heat, but it drops back down pretty quickly, especially after cresting the hill.
I've had mine go nearly - but not quite to - the 250 mark (heavy load, climbing a steep, long grade, in summer)

Either the owners manual or the service manual (for my 2006) states that anything up to the red zone (250F degrees) is considered normal and acceptable, depending on the particular conditions.

coalminer

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
One thing I noticed on my 2005 when I changed the radiator, there was a lot of junk between the radiator, the intercooler and the AC condenser, I bet in the heat of summer with the AC on, that would restrict alot of air flow and make the engine heat up more.

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm having to pull from memory on this one. I had a 2005 Sprinter, the temp gauge could climb pretty high if you were really pressing it but never more than maybe 220. In the winter--- that's when I had problems the other way. The ol' girl would idle at about 550/600 RPM, and at that rate the temp would sink like a stone. Ever try standing by, or even worse sleeping, when she's throwing cold air at you? Not fun. Now, as you made it work a little the temp would climb, and at highway speed she'd maintain 180, but at idle in winter--- nope, not gonna happen.

Before the Sprinter, I had a Ford with the gas engine that behaved the same way. Think you're gonna keep warm idling? Think again. The Chevy I have now will at least maintain some heat--- but I prefer shutting the engine down and using the Big Buddy if I'm going to be down any length of time.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
If you want to idle a Sprinter in the winter to keep warm you need to use an idle stick to bring the RPMs up to at least 1200. And that's for fan speed 1 or 2. For fan speed 3 you'll need at least 1800 RPMs.

The Bus

New Recruit
i have a 2006 sprinter temp gauge bouncing
all over also hear clicking when this happens
Did you ever remedy this problem? We are experiencing the same thing... 2005 sprinter, temp gauge bouncing all around with a clicking sound while it does it.