Tell me about Hino

louixo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I need some info from sources more knowledgeable than myself. From time to time I see Hino straight trucks advertised in different places as well as here on EO at very good prices, usually way less than the competition. Why? Are they not reliable, under powered, not a good fit for the job? Any info would be appreciated.

pandora2112

Seasoned Expediter
Plus if you break down good luck finding parts....you need a new radiator you'll be waiting on it to get to the states from Japan.

Sent from my VS910 4G using EO Forums mobile app

coalminer

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I need some info from sources more knowledgeable than myself. From time to time I see Hino straight trucks advertised in different places as well as here on EO at very good prices, usually way less than the competition. Why? Are they not reliable, under powered, not a good fit for the job? Any info would be appreciated.

You are going to find a lot of hino haters here, I'm not one of them, I have a 2005 hino 268 that I run. The carrier I run for has a few hinos and have been pretty reliable, now when there were issues, waiting on parts was a problem.

Underpowered? Any vehicle in that class is underpowered, I have driven a few other vehicles and to me the hino was good. I think they could have done the gearing better, at 65mph the engine is about 2100 rpms, should be lower than that I think anyway. Now with a manual transmission it might be lower but mine has an Allison 2400 automatic.

I don't have air brakes on my truck so no air ride either, which would be really nice, this thing does ride like a tank, I swear sometimes I am going to knock myself out hitting the roof...

Do you have any mechanical skills?

If you do, a decent hino may be a good way to start out without breaking the bank.

sewmun

Seasoned Expediter
I think I'd much rather buy a truck that parts are easier to get than have to wait.

When that trucks not movin your losin!

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
If I remember correctly the top engine in a Hino is 260hp and 660tq in the model 338. That's far below what's available in other brand trucks. It's also a class 7 chassis which is acceptable by carriers but not what an O/O should buy. A class 8 chassis will cost 10-15% more and give 50-75% more service life. Hino gives a great warranty, and for a local truck they are probably a good choice, but for long distance they are definitely not first choice.

EASYTRADER

Expert Expediter
I have been running a 338 since 06, I have around 900k miles on it. I have had some problems but most have been caused by poor mechanics. I attribute at least half of my maintenance issues to my own lack of knowledge and unscrupoulos mechanics.

For the first 385k I didn't have a single issue. 1 day before my warranty expired I blew a head gasket. Hino covered it no questions asked. In mt experience good luck on that with any other make.

Last month I just replaced the head, the truck runs better now than it did new. Running mostly 60 mph, I get 10 mpg now. I use about a gallon of oil every 15k miles. Which is remarable given the miles on my engine.

Te 338 is a class 7 truck, but it has class 8 componets, my axles brakes and even frame are te same you'd find on a class 8.

Parts availbility is dealer dependant, I had to wait for the head to get shipped 1 week, but most other items seem to be stocked now. THat has improved since 06 quit a bit.

Many of the old hinos available now are a bargain, and for the prices I've seen then selling for I wouldn't hesitate. Having said that, I would be hard pressed to buy a new one for 125k when you can get a class 8 for 140k. I have jokingly told my wife we should buy one of these low mileage trucks to keep as a spare.

The biggest issue I have seen with these trucks is bad drivers, and even worse mechanics. Here's and example, I just had my head replaced, I go to the dealer and the mechanic tells me the truck is still running hot, and they don't know what the problem is but they think it is OK to drive. It must be hot because of the miles. This is BS but I figure why push the guy, I take the truck home pull out the thermostat and it runs cold.

So you tell me how a guy can know enough to replace a head, but not have enough sense to replace a thermostat? I don't know, is it the trucks fault?

The 338 has been a decent truck for me, but I am not impressed really with any of the dealers. I paid 106k for my truck and have seen trucks like mine selling for 20 to 30k with half the milage, that's a steal considering the sleeper and box alone are worth that much.

If I had it to do over, I would have bought a new Class 8 and had it stretched. If I was to buy used and could get a hino like mine for. 25k I would do it. But by now I'm an ole hino hand.

If you search my posts under "truck talk" you will find my trucks whole history good and bad, remember as you read the more negativ sounding rants, today I'm still in the same truck pushing 900k

EASYTRADER

Expert Expediter
Dakota had a lot of issues with his, but if you follow his posts they to were "crappy" mechanic driven.

Luckily for him he was able to get away from his Penske lease.

Steady Eddie

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

I do not know all there is about them. However, The Hino is to Straight trucks as the Sprinters are to cargo Vans. Well, unless you own one that is.......