Taking the plunge

letsdrive

Seasoned Expediter
Well finally decided to step out. Been doing my research comparing between cv and str8 decided to go with cv with fleet owner as many have suggested starting with owner. Been trying to get prepared but even when your prepared you see howw much your not thanks for all the advice ive acquired from you all its appreciated

Sent from my SPH-L520 using EO Forums mobile app

ttruck

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
if u should change r mind and would br8interested in driving a st8 trk let me know work for landstar
art,863-634-6032

letsdrive

Seasoned Expediter
Alright thanks! I wanted to start small get a feel for things. Get to know expediting in general I wiill keep that in mind.

letsdrive

Seasoned Expediter
No I thought about it but will start driving this week just didnt know where I would end up

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Driving for a fleet owner is a good way to get a feel for expediting. During your apprenticeship pretend the van is yours. Drive it like you own it, not stole it. Keep a record of all revenue the van generates, not just your cut. Keep track of all fuel purchases and fuel mileage. Record all maintenance costs, even though the owner is paying the bill.

After six months or so you should have a general idea of the industry and whether it will be profitable for you to buy your own van. While out on the road talk to other van drivers and ask to see how their vans are set up. Many fleet owned vans aren't set up for comfort.

letsdrive

Seasoned Expediter
Thanks I set up 2 excel sheets on my labtop to keep track of what you just described thanks again

sanderson

Rookie Expediter
Congrats Letsdrive. Keep us updated. I almost took the plunge put I realized I needed to talk with more fleet owners and ask more questions.

sanderson

Rookie Expediter
if u should change r mind and would br8interested in driving a st8 trk let me know work for landstar
art,863-634-6032

Hi Art,

Concerning Landstar, is it strictly team based straight truck? I'd like to solo in a str8 but not much luck there. I almost got lucky with one offer unfortunately they required previous experience.

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Hi Art,

Concerning Landstar, is it strictly team based straight truck? I'd like to solo in a str8 but not much luck there. I almost got lucky with one offer unfortunately they required previous experience.

Landstar requires 3 yrs experience in the last 10 years in the vehicle that you want to drive if I remember correctly.

letsdrive

Seasoned Expediter
My uncle recommended landstar but I dont have 3yrs thats why I decided to start with cv see where things go and my brother is thinking of getting his cdl I think teams would work great with me and him

runrunner

Veteran Expediter
Alright thanks! I wanted to start small get a feel for things. Get to know expediting in general I wiill keep that in mind.

If you start in a van, you may have trouble with the experience thing when wanting a bigger truck.
I don't mean to but in, but, I would really consider that Landstar offer,way better than a van.
Good luck!

runrunner

Veteran Expediter
Moot is so right,keep track of everything,all the way down to deadhead miles.I used to keep track of every run on index cards.No matter how you do it,do it,and don't put it off,do it as you complete each transaction.

letsdrive

Seasoned Expediter
Well finally decided to step out. Been doing my research comparing between cv and str8 decided to go with cv with fleet owner as many have suggested starting with owner. Been trying to get prepared but even when your prepared you see howw much your not thanks for all the advice ive acquired from you all its appreciated

After the past month Aall I can say is what a blast. Its everything I expected its not a job but a adventure lol

rymilburn

Active Expediter
Amen. That's exactly how it was for me when I started 9 months ago. Decided to buy my own $printer since I liked it so much.....

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
Straight truck Solo. What about heading over to the Expediters Services EGG deal coming up in about two weeks.

1expeditor

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
After the past month Aall I can say is what a blast. Its everything I expected its not a job but a adventure lol

you are so right...its a adventure every week welcome to the crazy world of expediting good luck out here