Tail lights / clearance lights not working

ajakapari

Expert Expediter
Hi so I am having a problem and maybe someone here has been trough this , open to som advise
On one of my Older M2 106
Some clearance lights were out so I had to replace them, I got new one all around 15 "
I went to the yard and started changing the old ones with new re wire them and install .. after I finished at the end of day I turned the lights all looked great working .
The next day I wanted to go take truck to wash and I go in turn lights on Nothing works
Only working lights were headlights and hazard
. No tail lights and no Clearence lights.
So I checked all the grounds looked good checked everything pretty much it was good.
So I decide to run a cable to from the battery directly to main wire that goes all around the box lights to check and see if + gets to them.
I connect and everything lights up so now I know there is no + going to them but I don't know what to do lol could it be the SWITCH?
The day before they all worked and next day nothing .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ajakapari

Expert Expediter
I checked the fuses under hood they are all ok. Someone told me there is another fuse box on the frame under truck for the lights is that right?
I will look for that next

Boatcat

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
I had the same issue on my 07 M2.
There were some badly corroded wires inside the wiring harness that ran from the original chassis harness to the box.
You will need to spend the time to track down the feeds to the rear to find where the breaks in current flow are and repair as necessary. This will require opening the harness and removing lots of tie wraps and wire looms...
Looks for any places where there has been rubbing or signs of wear and tear. Splices are a common area where issues happen. Fairly easy to do with a test light or multimeter. Be sure to seal any repairs with heat shrink tubing or silicone. Good Luck!

Reactions: ajakapari

ajakapari

Expert Expediter
Thanks for the the info
I Did find the problem it's fixed now.
Did exactly what u suggested open the harness fixed a bunch , but the problem was from driver side tail light there was a bunch of wires rubbing on each other and against the box its self ... but I went trough the whole system
And had to replace a lot of wires and grounds.

Reactions: BigStickJr