TA Troutville VA

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
2 or 3 weeks ago was traveling up I-81 through VA and stopped at the Pilot at exit 151 to fuel up. When I pulled out of Pilot and looked over at the TA only to find piles of dirt. Does anyone know if they are going to rebuild there. No news on their website about it. Inquiring minds would like to know if possible.

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
2 or 3 weeks ago was traveling up I-81 through VA and stopped at the Pilot at exit 151 to fuel up. When I pulled out of Pilot and looked over at the TA only to find piles of dirt. Does anyone know if they are going to rebuild there. No news on their website about it. Inquiring minds would like to know if possible.
No rebuild on that lot ....the State squeesed them out ... to redo that whole intersection..

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Yep. That TA closed permanently on Nov 15, 2014. VDOT engineers deemed that to relieve the congestion at the interchange which joins I-81, U.S. 11 and U.S. 220, everything in the truck stop’s footprint had to go. The state was unsuccessful in negotiating a buyout, so they filed an eminent domain action in the county Circuit Court and declared the TA seized for public use. VDOT placed $6.28 million on deposit for the 12.2 acre property, and the court should have by this time determined how TA got compensated. The state took it over in August, and leased it back to the TA until the closing date 3 months later, so I'm sure by now TA has been paid.

At the time of the seizure, in order to make up for the loss of traveler services (truck parking spaces being chief among them), VDOT gave the TA information on six parcels in that I-81 corridor large enough to support a new travel center, three in Elliston, two in Dublin and one in Augusta County. I have no idea what TA decided or plans to do.

Reactions: ntimevan