T-Val is Thermoking only now?

JoeS

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
All I can say is 4 trucks all new from Columbus. DR units with the Thermo King have either failed tval first time out, or in the case if the last one well it was never set up right at install. Failed to run more than 4 minutes while spitting out error codes.
Was told that they are moving so many new trucks out the door they do not have time to set them up properly. So what was a 3 day tval qualification now has turned into 2 and a half weeks.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using EO Forums mobile app

At one time, the policy at Fedex was if a truck failed TVAL testing 3 times, you had to wait a year before you could re-test. Is that still the case?

rymilburn

Active Expediter
Yes, it is. Our owner had a truck that failed 3 times.... And I know a few more units of his did the same thing.

So yes, FedEx said he couldn't try again for a year . Good owner tho... Some bad apples he had for units tho.

Wolfie62

Seasoned Expediter
My wife and I have talked to several owners putting brand new trucks in the Fedex fleet. They expect the drivers to pick up the truck from Ft Wayne or Columbus OH directly, then drive straight to Green OH for the branding, then Qualcom install, then straight on THE PAD for TVAL testing. The last owner I talked to had a problem with my wanting to pick up the truck and drive it 100 miles for a shakedown test, and had a real problem when I said I would run the reefer at -20 C at the TK install parking lot before I went for the TVAL run. The owners are setting themselves up for failure, regardless of new equipment. No wonder so many failures on the TVAL pad. Especially in July/August heat.

Fact is, I just ran our unit for 8 hours, set at -20 C, just prior to the 6-month pm, just to see how it would run. Did ok, then I drove in to the Carrier lot for the reefer pm.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Has anyone out there even heard of a newer Carrier unit failing before they came out with this ban on Carrier? The only failures I have been hearing about have all been TK units.

iceroadtrucker

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Its like this all the Underbelly unites Need to be gone. Most drivers are not Energetic enough to keep the condensers and Heat Exchangers clean. That's on straight trucks. If they got an over head unite on a straight truck all that road rubbish don't get in the unite and cause problems. Far as thermo kings go I ran both. I pick Carrier. Thermo Kings good for Produce maybe good for -30 in 100 degree temps from what I personal know NO. Wait one I will admit if they got 5inch of insulation all around in the box vice the STD they will do it. But there not many reefers out there that have 5 inch of insulation are there. Some body ought to ask a real Engineer that been on the deck plates. Far as new Carriers failing I have not seen a new Carrier Fail yet have you.

Attachments

• hDF3FBC6ECCC.jpg
    hDF3FBC6ECCC.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 95
  • jumpyXSS.jpg
    jumpyXSS.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 91
  • Jumpy.jpg
    Jumpy.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 95
Last edited:

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I have an underbelly unit, it holds temp just fine. I do, however, keep it clean and well serviced. I also have 4" of insulation. I have had very few problems and what problem I have had have been minor.

Wolfie62

Seasoned Expediter
I drive an underbelly unit also. And yes, I'm a real engineer. Did have to replace a condenser on last truck, due to bad corrosion. $5000. Carrier. I know my way around the entire unit. Even made roadside repairs (several) that saved me from losing loads....such as from a seized belt idler, and from engine overheating problems, and even regrigerant leak....

CCDriver

Active Expediter
As far as Tval goes I heard from a few people that when you go Tval you don't see the reg temp runs. It's like an invisable Tval lock on you. Anyone care to comment on that?

I like running the regular temp controled especialy in the winter months the paints and such they don't want to freeze. I'd hate to give that up for Tval. Especialy when I hear of these Tval loads offered out at $1.10 or $1.20 per mile.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
As far as Tval goes I heard from a few people that when you go Tval you don't see the reg temp runs. It's like an invisable Tval lock on you. Anyone care to comment on that?

I like running the regular temp controled especialy in the winter months the paints and such they don't want to freeze. I'd hate to give that up for Tval. Especialy when I hear of these Tval loads offered out at $1.10 or $1.20 per mile.

Not true, we are a "TVAL" truck and we run many non-TVAL reefer loads each year. SOME TVAL loads are "offered" at silly, low, rates, but that does not mean that they are taken for those rates. HOWEVER, there are a few, "thingamabobs" out there who are willing to run at a loss to "keep busy". :rolleyes:

JoeS

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

I concur with the reply that LOS gave you and can add that If you're a TVAL truck, the only lock that you should be watching is the CDC lock. If they slap this lock on your truck, the system can't "see" your truck. Not even WG. Since there isn't a TVAL lock, this is the way SA locks your truck for TVAL loads. Oh and only a handful of people can remove that lock. I usually have them take the CDC lock off my truck when I discover it.

CCDriver

Active Expediter
Still am very wary of whole Tval and I will tell you why. I've made so many practice tapes it's unreal. Yet when I changed trucks and owners they want still more.

When I needed to get ahold of the Tval peeps seems they never could get back with me. And I'm not expecting an instant reply but in a timely manner a day or so. Not a week to umm never.

Now instead of going to Green OH which never worked out anyway they take it online which makes way better sense. Oh except they want to charge for it.

I've heard $135 and also $155 per person. They (Fed Ex) want more Tval units but seem to make it not worth the aggravation to pursue it. Might do it in the future will have to see.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Still am very wary of whole Tval and I will tell you why. I've made so many practice tapes it's unreal. Yet when I changed trucks and owners they want still more.

When I needed to get ahold of the Tval peeps seems they never could get back with me. And I'm not expecting an instant reply but in a timely manner a day or so. Not a week to umm never.

Now instead of going to Green OH which never worked out anyway they take it online which makes way better sense. Oh except they want to charge for it.

I've heard $135 and also $155 per person. They (Fed Ex) want more Tval units but seem to make it not worth the aggravation to pursue it. Might do it in the future will have to see.

"Things change, they always do"

It's a LOT like Michigan weather, don't like it? Wait five minutes. Right now, it is NOT in the owner/operators favor. Who knows what tomorrow may bring?

I would rather be fishing either way.

Last edited:

JoeS

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

Practice tapes? As far as I know, that should only happen once during your initial qualification. There are times when they may require a 4 hour test on the unit after a repair, but that's about it.

The easiest way to communicate with someone at TVAL is via email. Contact your CC and ask them for the email address. I can tell you that I get a quicker response via email than the phone.

The cost for the online TVAL certification is $156.50 and the class is a few hours. Much easier than going to Green.

iceroadtrucker

Veteran Expediter
Driver
You don't got to be an Owner for the TVAL People to call you back just leave a phone message and they get right back with u. Works for me. Far the New T Val Rules I seen this coming along time ago. Ur going to find that if your Moving Meds and Food Stuffs in the business the FDA will impose a mandatory Paper Trail. Too many people out here getting sick. On another note the class on line isn't new either, there are quite a few companies that been doing this class on the computer for the last few years. Not stepping no toes but its a fact. FedEx is doing what the FDA and (GOVT) wants. Take a look at the rest of the Stuff we got to have Back Ground Checks Finger Printing for Hazmat and Loads and then the TWIC cards for the Ports and all the Hoop Ha. Well I don't blame the Company they are doing what has been mandated by the Big Government. I am sure in the future were going to see a lot more Rules as well as Regulations not from the Companies we drive for but from Higher Authority (GOV'T)