Synthetic Lubricants Good or Bad??

G

I would like to hear from o/o's who have used synthetic lubricants such as motor oil, brake fluid, or transmission fluid. Is your experience that these items are worth the high cost compared to the traditional petroleum products? Have these products lived up to the claims made by the makers, and what has happened if a vehicle has a break-down that can be traced to the synthetic lubricant not performing properly? Were you able to get compensation for repairs that were made nessesary by the failure of the synthetic oil, or grease? Replies, and or comments please, I'm gathering information for a future article to appear in our on-line magazine, Expedite Now .com. Thanks to all. Jim Bunting...

G

i use conklin syn oil. dont change oil but use harvard bypass filter.my tractor had 750000 . at one mill bearings good for another 300000. detroit 60 470hp.my landstar van has 334000 and no oil changes.if your total base numbers go down that indicates your additive package is breaking down.

rob

Expert Expediter
I used MOBILE 1 in my 94 Ford E350 gas engine cargo van. Loved it! Worth the money. Sold the unit with 495,000 miles and used only 1 quart of oil when I changed the oil at 9,000 mile intervals!

G

Thanks for your reply Ron. Just so I am clear on this, are you saying that your van used 1 quart of synthetic oil in each 9,000 miles of use? Or only 1 quart in all the time you had it? Also how much was the average cost of an oil change using the Mobil 1 product? Did the engine run cooler, or hotter when the synthetic was used, compared to normal petroleum oil? Thanks, Jim Bunting..

G

Thanks, MLA, for your reply. I must confess that I have never heard of a Harvard by-pass filter. Is this the brand name(Harvard) and do you replace the filter itself? If so, at what interval, and how much does one filter cost? Is the filter installed at the normal location on the block, or is it remotely located? When you referred to the total base numbers, are you talking about doing a PH test to show the base, or alkaly levels in the oil ? I am most impressed with the mileage you were able to get with your Ford engine, and I am sure other readers of this space are also intersested..So please give us all more information on this Harvard filter, and where we can get one. Thanks in advance, JIm Bunting Field Editor Expeditersonline .com

G

jim,the harvard filter is made by harvard corp,janesville,wi the owner is dennis morgan.he is a personal friend of mine.his address is ;highway 14 north evansville,wi p o box 108, 53536 phone;800-523-1327.or better yet visit webpg of fluid filtration services,qconline.com/ffs,or e mail at [email protected] installed the system on my cargo van.filter is located outside under drivers door on outside of frame.my filter is an oversized unit i opted for over kill.fluid filtration is located behind the i 80 truck stop at wolcott.at fluid filtration ask for laren jordahl, or art royal.tell i sent you.they have been doing this several years.instalation is about 450,dont hold me to it.filters should be $40 to $65 or more depending on size.i change my filter at 42000 mi. oil system holds 27 quarts,filter holds 9 quarts of the 27. i had trouble with my ford van on synthetic so i went to conklin simi-synthetic.there is a guy named i think,##### hess that steared me in this direction.art royal sent me to him when my van was surging.##### told me to use older brain box or callibrate mine if he was able to.he suggested i go to simi.conclin oil is avail at various places including fluid filtration.they have several testimonials.i worked for cat tractor for 18 years in mngt.i would not have a truck without one.what i consider to be the best oil is conklin,amsoil,and schaffer of st.louis mo.i did not put conclin until i put on 40000 with shell.since new it uses 2 quarts every 8000 mi.i personally know of several drivers and owners of big trucks that have them on.just do oil analysis on your oil,youll be amazed.i used shell to set rings.it has been said that starting in cold weather causes 90% of engine ware.when making short stops of 30 min or less i let my truck run.my next truck which will be international 4900 with dt530,300 hp.i will keep better records.i believe the dt530 can make it to 700000 mi.with out inframe.i know detroits have gone further in big trucks.forgiv spelling errors late at nite and tired.call laren or art at fluid filtration 888-284-6523, tell them i sent you.if you need more e-mail me at [email protected]

G

MLA, thank you for the very detailed response to my questions. Jim Bunting..