Symptoms of a possible soon to be blown Trani?

TMFGO45

Seasoned Expediter
Alright, so I'm driving down the road, no problems. Pull over for a few hours, idle so I don't melt inside the truck. My brother takes over driving, gets a little way down the road, all of a sudden we are hearing a high pitch squeal type sound coming from somewhere in the engine compartment.

The sound seems to occur only when in gear, and in happens mainly in 5th or 6th gear, and starts at around 1500 RPM. It will keep going until around 1800 RPM, then you won't hear it anymore.

Anybody have any idea if this is a soon to be, destroyed transmission? We just had our transmission rebuilt in November of 2010, so I just can't believe that it really could be this. BUT, then again....?

So anybody have any experience with a sound like this, possible other scenarios?

Thanks everybody.

Brisco

Expert Expediter
Make and Model of Truck, what's under the hood, and type of of tranny too will help.

Squeals are different in each and every truck. Same sounding squeal in an Isuzu Hombre 4 cylinder mini-truck might mean something different in a V10 Viper Powered Dodge SRT10 pick-up. Know what I mean........;)

TMFGO45

Seasoned Expediter
Yep, don't know why I forgot to put that in my op. But anyway, I have a 2004 International 4400, with a dt466 motor, eaton fuller transmission 6 speed. That's what I know. And that engine is an International engine, not a Detroit. Some people don't know that I've found. Anyway, thanks again.

Sent from my rooted DroidX running official Froyo, using Tapatalk!

Slacktide

Seasoned Expediter
if it's speed sensitive I would check all u-joints and carrier bearings along the driveshaft. I have seen/heard carrier bearings make noise that one would think was from the trans. a quick twist and shake of the driveshaft could provide a much cheaper solution to your noise. good luck