Switching in Canada?

parkerpal

Seasoned Expediter
We have a straight truck with a liftgate and have driven as a team for Panther for 5 years. I'm on disability; Barb's driving solo. She took a 712 mile load to Canada... spending 3 days getting there... lot's of delays not her fault. When she tried to deliver, they were closed (5PM Friday) and she was told that she would have to wait till Monday AM to unload. She asked if she could go to a cross dock and drop the freight off her truck... 5 days for 712 miles seemed just too much! Dispatch told her that we don't switch out loads in Canada. Has anyone else heard this? Thanks!:confused:
PS Excuse the "cool" smiley face... I thought it ment disgusted! lol

Last edited:

mjolnir131

Veteran Expediter
when that happens to us i always badger dispatch till i get layover 75 bucks a night is not much but at lest it's something

parkerpal

Seasoned Expediter
re request layover...

Our delivery time was 5PM Friday. We'll get detention. But with fuel costs at $5 per, that not much profit. Besides, 5 days for 712 miles is awfull all around!

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Probably shouldn't have accepted the load knowing those parameters and the realization that there could be many delays going into Canada. You do get the detention and the following layover pay but unless there is a breakdown, it won't be likely they would cross dock it except in Romulus.
Or.....why would they? Who wants to take that short of a load in the first place? Finding a truck to do that short distance are in short supply. They would have to sit on that load as well.

MR.SNAPPY

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The only way they could swap a load in Canada it would have to be a Canadian driver taking the load. a American citizen is not allowed to p/u in Canada and deliver in Canada.also keep in mind that if your truck breaks down there you will be looking at a big tow bill to the cons then to a garage.did I mention I do not do Canada anymore.......

mjolnir131

Veteran Expediter
i am hoping that today found you at a dock that was open and not one that was taking 2 days off for canada day and that your on your way out of there

Dreammaker

Seasoned Expediter
Just had a load that delivered about 150 miles north of Quebec City, Quebec. Customer setup delivery for Monday, June 30. Turns out cons was taking a long weekend due to Canadian Independence Day - July 1. So I would have to sit until Wednesday, July 2nd to deliver. Dispatch arranged to swap to a Canadian trucking firm. Paid me loaded miles/fsc on miles back to Quebec City - another 152 miles. Changed an 818 mile load to a 970 mile load. They also paid me detention for 5 hours on Monday while they were trying to figure out what to do. Some times strange things happen. If motivated, dispatch sometimes comes through. Then they gave me an empty move back to Syracuse, NY after I had already negotiated a $400 bonus for the same move on the pro. So, I got paid $1.40/mile to drive deadhead back to the U.S. I refuse to go to Quebec, Alberta, or Saskatchewan without negotiating a bonus for a return to a location in the U.S. where I can realistically anticipate another Panther load.

In short, Canadian loads, while sometimes aggravating, can be profitable if you give some thought to making them work for you. Think about how to be set up for the next load. Ask Panther to pay you a bonus to get you to a place where you can expect another load. You might be pleasantly surprised how the whole puzzle falls into place.

mjolnir131

Veteran Expediter
also putting the canadian holidays and mexican holidays on outlook can help you plan ahead, a kinda know what to exepct. well sometimes it can help,but did not help me much at lorado just before easter had no idea they had a slow down there for almost a week well 5 days,