Swing out carrier for van

tbcabs

Seasoned Expediter
Does anyone know where I can get a good swing out carrier for my generator?? I want to make sure it isnt flimsy. I heard a couple of horror stories from a couple of drivers.. BTW its my 100th post woohoo...:D:D:D

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Ok I could kick myself in the butt for not gettin the info..but i screwed up... keep an eye out for a older husband and wife team out of NC driving a 3-350 extended Ford for Fed Ex...he had one built by a welder in NC and I am tellin you, you would never lose it no way in hades...it cost him $400 bucks to have buit and it bolts to the frame and swings out from under the left rear quarter extension....it doesn't tie to the bumper only to a class 4 reciever when it latches...even if the latch failed and it swung for 500 miles, you wouldn't lose a thing..this thing was built to last...

So keep an eye out for that Fed Ex Ford with ma an pa driven it..he was a good ole boy and didn't have any use for the current occupant of the W..well he just didn't have any use....:D

Oh, LOL, it was a White Ford CV ....:)

golfournut

Veteran Expediter
The Sprinter store has one for $579 + $95 shipping. But, it looks like it prevents one of the rear doors from opening enough to prevent fork lift damage. I haven't called and asked about it because I haven't gotten that far in the out fitting. The box looks pretty big and has lights on it. Available for other vehicles other than Sprinters.

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
View attachment 2505 Platform

View attachment 2506 Hinge closed

View attachment 2507 Hinge open to swing out

View attachment 2508 Van 3500 dodge 2002

I had my carrier platform done by Al Bozard in Lugoff SC. His phone number is 803 438 1429. It is bullet proof, sturdy, and it works well. Yes it swings out so I can load skids as the pictures show. The main support brackets at each side are welded to the frame of my van and its sturdy. I told him I wanted it to hold up a ship and he welded on. I am well pleased. Al's address is 1282 Longtown rd, Lugoff SC 29078

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
We sell them for $550 plus shipping, but we might be able to save some on that as we are all over as we work for E-1 and might be able to meet you somewhere. We are out right now but will return within a week or so. PM us for more info. We have a brochure we can send as soon as we return home.

We decided to sell them after having, and enjoying, ours for more than a year. Ours carries a 3000 watt generator and slides into the trailer hitch.

ErieBigDawg

Seasoned Expediter
We sell them for $550 plus shipping, but we might be able to save some on that as we are all over as we work for E-1 and might be able to meet you somewhere. We are out right now but will return within a week or so. PM us for more info. We have a brochure we can send as soon as we return home.

We decided to sell them after having, and enjoying, ours for more than a year. Ours carries a 3000 watt generator and slides into the trailer hitch.

Does it move out of the way enough to permit Sprinter rear doors to open all the way and no blocking of fork lift?

Dave

Dave Martin
144" Sprinter

danthewolf00

Veteran Expediter
i have seen westmincher's and yes it swings way out it looks hvy duty,maybe next time i see him i'll get picks of his blue 3500 sprinter.:cool:

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
Yes, because it's designed with different pivot points than the doors, you can easily open your Sprinter doors the entire 270 degrees they are designed to.

paullud

Veteran Expediter

Are they just for Sprinters or do you have them for CV's as well?

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
Shouldn't be a problem fitting one on a CV, or a pick-up, or trailer . . . so long as it has a regular trailer hitch receiver. I would think the hitch to door dimension would be similar but we can check it for fit.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Shouldn't be a problem fitting one on a CV, or a pick-up, or trailer . . . so long as it has a regular trailer hitch receiver. I would think the hitch to door dimension would be similar but we can check it for fit.

I will send my email and mailing address so you can get some more information and pictures to me. I would rather have someone design a product that needs to use it everyday than someone sitting in an office thinking it looks good.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

idtrans

Expert Expediter
when your down in laredo goto 6201 mcpherson ave rear building 956-722-5084 he has made a few custom items for my trucks and always reasonable and awesome fast work. he can for sure make it. He also makes awesome deer catchers extra heavy duty for teh $800 range. super nice guy so be cool with him guys and yes he speaks awesome english great guy.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

This set-up looks very familiar, in fact I just saw it Wednesday night in Kearney, Mo. That was me parked next to you at the Pilot. Had it not been for the rain I would have stopped by to say hello. Had to get up early and be in Trenton. Is that a Yamaha generator? Very, very quiet.

shmekeru

Active Expediter

What if I want something not to swing out but to be attached to one of my Sprinter rear doors. How much I am looking at for a carrier like this one. I know some people would install it themslefs but I am not good at this kind of stuff and I am afraid I would be loosing my generator and not even know where I lost it.) Something that will hold a honda 2000i. I really like asjssl setup on the rear door but he has a cv, I have a Sprinter if this makes a difference.
Here is a picture of it.
aefc9c78-50a7-b925.jpg

Last edited:

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
I'll show this to my partner back home next week. I have no idea if he will want to tackle the attachment to the door. Obviously, that's critical to the longevity of the whole thing. The two advantages we have with the current design is that we've proven it to ourselves that it will last and it looks heavy-duty / professional (at least we think so). If he is willing, I'm sure he'd have to have your van in west Michigan for a couple of days to fit it. Our current design just slips in and I probably can meet you somewhere to deliver it. That's worth something too (we think).

shmekeru

Active Expediter
I'll show this to my partner back home next week. I have no idea if he will want to tackle the attachment to the door. Obviously, that's critical to the longevity of the whole thing. The two advantages we have with the current design is that we've proven it to ourselves that it will last and it looks heavy-duty / professional (at least we think so). If he is willing, I'm sure he'd have to have your van in west Michigan for a couple of days to fit it. Our current design just slips in and I probably can meet you somewhere to deliver it. That's worth something too (we think).

I have no problem stopping by your shop in west Michigan. Also, note that Honda 2000i it's not a big and heavy generator like many others and I thought this setup up will be my best bet. Talk to your partner and PM me please.