surgharge again

ttruck

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Just recently spoke to a driver and his truck is getting between .30 and .40 per mile surcharge yet when my owner joined panther he had to take a structured surcharge who is or where is the rest of the surcharge going to fuel has jumped 23 cents in the last week alone and it will get higher befor long, why is not everyone onthe same page here its getting hard to survive at the rate we are going.
Another thing why are we cuttig frieght rates i get a lot of offers at a reduced rate whatever happend to dont haul cheap frieght just wondering ya know

ChrisGa23

Expert Expediter
Im on a load now reduced rate .74 from .77 with a .21 fsc. I took it because it was over 600mi. I have gotten .30-.40 alot but they come with short runs 150mi or less so maybe thats what they were getting. I have only gotten 1 load sense going back in service Monday from Christmas and being sick and this is the first reduced rate load I have had in a while maybe 2-3 months.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I believe the flat rate FSC is an elective. Or it use to be? Same with the flat rate all miles program.

ttruck

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
No the flat rate is not elective it is mandatory to al new trucks signed on in the last few months i just dont think its fair that the older owners are not being forced to take the same rates all around the fleet just spoke to another driver today and hes getting 30-40 cents per mi surchg. Because his owner has been here a long time that owner should understand that its for the good of the co to reduce his rates also just cant see panther getting better i would still like to know where the rest of the surcharge is giong if some are getting then all should get to the driver that took the reduced rate of 77 cents w/ a21 cent fuel surchg. In a van thats the same rate surchg. Im getting in a st truck some one is keepin something fuel will nott go down again never

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
No the flat rate is not elective it is mandatory to al new trucks signed on in the last few months i just dont think its fair that the older owners are not being forced to take the same rates all around the fleet just spoke to another driver today and hes getting 30-40 cents per mi surchg. Because his owner has been here a long time that owner should understand that its for the good of the co to reduce his rates also just cant see panther getting better i would still like to know where the rest of the surcharge is giong if some are getting then all should get to the driver that took the reduced rate of 77 cents w/ a21 cent fuel surchg. In a van thats the same rate surchg. Im getting in a st truck some one is keepin something fuel will nott go down again never

Why would you want some one else to get less money for something, it will not put one more cent in your pocket. It is like wanting another persons taxes to go up because they make more than someone else. Jealousy will never put more dollars in your pocket.

Personally I think more companies are going to flat rate FS because it is another profit center for them.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Why would you want some one else to get less money for something, it will not put one more cent in your pocket. It is like wanting another persons taxes to go up because they make more than someone else. Jealousy will never put more dollars in your pocket.

Personally I think more companies are going to flat rate FS because it is another profit center for them.

You would be surprised how many think that way. Didn't know the flat rate FSC was a thing on the new folks. Can't say I really follow it either. Different contracts for different times. As for a profit center, that would be the primary reason for even doing it. There are a few exceptions where companies haven't paid the FSC, but that is a very small percentage.

Scuba

Veteran Expediter
I believe the flat rate FSC is an elective. Or it use to be? Same with the flat rate all miles program.

You don't really want to know what i think about this issue but Panther will only do the national adv fsc program on all new trucks hiring on

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
The biggest concern would be the incoming trucks running at a lower rate. I could see very easily on standard loads bypassing high rate trucks in order to maximize Panthers bottom line. We have noticed a good bump with just elite loads so in the end, it may be a good thing.

ttruck

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
I cant see where this is a good thing not every one is going to suffer on the surchsrge end im an independent contractor and not new to this just w/ a new owner and the surchg is a set price , the older owners are still getting the full surchg and the new ones are not this is not fair some one is scimmin off the top now i know the older owners are not going to compolain or say anything ther going to suck up i just cant see this company getting any better.

ttruck

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
The national rate fschg. At 3,20 per gallon is between .36 and .40 cpm where is the rest going and why some one from panther should address this issue

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Not sure where you got your numbers but I'm showing at $3.33 a fsc of 35cpm for a tractor. I presume since you are saying 36-40 on $3.20 that is tractor rate. One thing to keep in mind, unless something has changed and I highly doubt it, is that yes there are trucks getting that much and more in fsc and there are trucks getting 14cpm and 18cpm and other seriously low amounts because some customers get special rates. Flat rate isn't so bad when you get 35cpm while another guy on the same run gets only 14cpm.

ChrisGa23

Expert Expediter
took a Chrysler load last night that had a $0.11 FSC . About the lowest I have gotten in a long time.