Supreme Court orders California to release prisoners

bobwg

Expert Expediter
Foxnews.com The US Surpreme Court today orders California to release somewhere between 37,000 to 46,000 prisoners due to overcrowding in California prisons. Just wonder how many of these prisoners are illegals? will our great Obama order those illegals to be deported? How safe will you feel knowing that a bunch of prisoners will be released most of them early

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Supreme Court Rules California Must Free Tens of Thousands of Inmates - FoxNews.com

Supreme Court: California Must Reduce Prison Population by 30,000 - ABC News

No mention of illegals.

From Gawker:
California Releasing Mentally Disturbed Prisoners in Time for Tourists

Ryan Tate — Here's an advisory for prospective summer visitors to California: The state must release around 32,000 prisoners under a new Supreme Court decision to help mentally ill inmates. It is one of the largest prisoner releases in U.S. history. Exciting.

Citing the state penitentiaries' horrific overcrowding and high suicide rate, the high court upheld an order to reduce the prison population to 137.5 percent of capacity from 200 percent in recent years, translating into a release of around 32,000 people. It's not clear how many of those people will come straight from mental treatment, but it's plain that the overcrowding is corroding the minds even among the regular population.

California prisoners have been living in gyms up to 200 at a time, and as many as 54 prisoners have been known to share a single toilet. There is, on average, about one suicide per week, according to a report by the governor's office. Plainiffs in the case told the court that "mentally ill prisoners have been found hanged to death in holding tanks where observation windows are obscured with smeared feces, and discovered catatonic in pools of their own urine after spending nights in locked cages." Don't get us wrong: It's humane and just that these guys are getting out after 11 years of overcrowding and court orders. We just wouldn't, ideally, want to find ourselves next to one at a lonely highway gas station some night.

Justice Scalia noted in his dissent, tho, "Most of them will not be prisoners with medical conditions or severe mental illness; and many will undoubtedly be fine physical specimens who have developed intimidating muscles pumping iron in the prison gym."

Apparently, he watched "The Longest Yard" on TV the other night while rendering his decision.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I think that it would be a FINE idea if we were to hold anyone, judge, parole board, etc, who would release any convicted criminal that has ANY type of violent crime in his past, responsible for the actions of those who they release.

bobwg

Expert Expediter
My advice for the people of California and those planning to travel to Cali is a line from the movie We Were Soldiers the line is "Gentlemen prepare to defend yourselves"

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
We are NOT allowed to defend ourselves. The LiBerAls thing that innocent, law abiding citizens who chose to protect themselves are
BAD BAD BAD. Only the government and criminals can be armed. Not that there is much difference between them. :rolleyes:

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I think many miss a very important point - this does not mean that they can not be housed somewhere else where space is available - like Prisons in other states.

Another thing that is missed is the American Initiative to find a solution - pay to stay private prisons. Where is Obama's stash money to seed this idea, just need about $50M for the first prison.

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
This doesn't have to be a bad thing. What if we release the non-violent ones, who really shouldn't be there in the first place, and incarcerate only the violent ones?

I run into this argument when debating gun control. I advocate abolishing ALL laws prohibiting carrying any small arm around. You can walk into a gun store or hardware store anywhere, and beyond demonstrating you're an adult, can buy any firearm, put it in your pocket and, without anybody's say-so, walk down the street with it.

"But wait," whine the hopolophobes, "surely you don't want dangerous people on the streets with guns?"

Nope! Dangerous felons--the armed robbers, muggers, rapists, murderers, politicians, child molesters--BELONG IN THE JOINT at LEAST until they're so old and decrepit that they no longer have the impetus to hurt others, or at least aren't capable of it. As WGN radio host Mike McConnell says, some people just don't mature until they're 40 or 50, and can't be trusted to walk the streets without hurting others until then. So when they demonstrate that they can't be trusted among us, you lock them up until they demonstrate otherwise. If that's never, then you hold them until they are no longer capable of robbing liquor stores and raping and such.

Then the rest of society can have our gun rights back, because the dangerous people will be LOCKED THE •••• UP! And we can only do that if we find punishments for non-violent offenders other than incarceration.

So let all the non-violent offenders out to make room for those who do true violence to society: rapists, child molesters, armed robbers, murderers, and senators.

Last edited:

greg334

Veteran Expediter
This doesn't have to be a bad thing. What if we release the non-violent ones, who really shouldn't be there in the first place, and incarcerate only the violent ones?

So Charles Manson should be released? I think his fan club and those who are his 'freinds' on Facebook may feel he should be released.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Yes true but it didn't work out that way so if they can release his followers, I say kick the old guy out after announcing it to the world and see what happens. Saves the US and state of California a lot of money.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
OHHHHH, run that turkey through the blades

DOODAH DOOAH

Chop him up till his life is through,

Oh da do da day.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
OHHHHH, run that turkey through the blades

DOODAH DOOAH

Chop him up till his life is through,

Oh da do da day.

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
So Charles Manson should be released? I think his fan club and those who are his 'freinds' on Facebook may feel he should be released.

I'm pretty sure Chuckle would be considered a violent criminal, so he wouldn't be one released.

If his crime met the Biblical criteria for capital punishment, he should have been executed almost immediately.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Here's an idea, release all the non violent criminal aliens and put them straight on buses out of the country. Two wins in one.