Sun Fires X-ray Shot at Earth, CME on the way for July 14th

EnglishLady

Veteran Expediter
Discovery News - July 12

Continuing its increasingly active trend, the sun erupted with another X-class solar flare on Thursday. Only last week, another active region (AR1515) delivered an impressive parting shot -- an X1.1 flare -- as it rotated toward the solar limb. Today's more energetic X1.4 flare, however, was directed right at us.

Today's fireworks were courtesy of another magnetically dominated active region called AR1520 that has been ominously crackling with flare activity. The active region has produced an impressive and beautiful grouping of sunspots (right).

There's currently no word about the impact this event on the Earth's ionosphere, although sudden ionospheric disturbances (SIDs) are highly likely, stemming from strong X-ray radiation, potentially interrupting radio communications. A coronal mass ejection (CME) -- an expanding "bubble" of solar plasma and magnetism -- has been generated and it is expected to hit Earth on July 14, according to Spaceweather.com. There's a strong possibility that the CME may produce a geomagnetic storm, culminating in auroral activity at high latitudes.

ANALYSIS: X-Rated: Sun Erupts With a Powerful Solar Flare

The uptick in solar activity is all part of the natural 11-year cycle of the sun, which is expected to reach its peak by 2013.

Today's event is yet another reminder that we live in the realm of a highly dynamic star and with the help of solar observatories like NASA's Solar Dynamics Observatory (SDO), we can look deep into the solar corona where these impressive explosions are generated.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
More proof that there is just NO NEED to concern ourselves with an EMP event, man made or natural. Let's just continue to "improve" the grid so it is ever MORE likely to be damaged when the next EMP event occurs!

OldGuy

Active Expediter
Guessing burring all power wires underground was too much trouble when 'the grid' first went up.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Guessing burring all power wires underground was too much trouble when 'the grid' first went up.

We have known about the danger of an EMP even since the 1800's. We have known about the use of EMP as a weapon since atomic weapons became a reality. We, and others, have planned to use EMP as a weapon. We have done NOTHING to defend against it. As we continue down our current path with grid 'improvements' it becomes more likely that an EMP event will cause damage. OH WELL, so it goes.

blackpup

Veteran Expediter
First line on wiki .....

"The solar storm of 1859, also known as the 1859 Solar Superstorm, or the Carrington Event, was a powerful solar storm in 1859"

I think it happened in 1859 :p

LOL :p

Yes according to the article it did happen in 1859. It was apparently a monster of a storm . If a storm of that magnitude hit in the future, I wonder what effect it might have on todays power grid.

jimmy

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Yes according to the article it did happen in 1859. It was apparently a monster of a storm . If a storm of that magnitude hit in the future, I wonder what effect it might have on todays power grid.

jimmy

It would be devastating. It is not only the grid that would go down. Your computer, cars, trucks, just about anything that uses electricity and that is not shielded against an EMP. Nothing has been done to protect the transmission grid and the 'modernization' that Barry wants would make it even more likely for it to be damaged.

There are 2-5 people in congress who have spoken on this subject, but as normal, anything that is correct and makes sense is ignored.

blackpup

Veteran Expediter
Yeah there is plenty of electronics that no one thinks about being damaged, and the effect it would have on their way of life, Just think though, no EOBRs!!.

Having said that, I would be totally unprepared for living an involuntary life off the grid . Or living life the way the old folks used to .

jimmy

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Yeah there is plenty of electronics that no one thinks about being damaged, and the effect it would have on their way of life, Just think though, no EOBRs!!.

Having said that, I would be totally unprepared for living an involuntary life off the grid . Or living life the way the old folks used to .

jimmy

I have enough guns, ammo, fish hooks, line etc. The problem would be a water supply and vegetable matter. A lot of the 'native' edible vegetables are no longer around in large numbers.

Storage of food would be hard.

I large EMP event, natural or man made, would have long term effects on everyone. It would lower population levels for sure.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Sounds like we would be having a permament Hunker. :cool:

It would do a person well to know who they can and cannot work with prior to an event like that.

As to the EMP event, it is NOT a matter of IF it is going to happen, only when.