Sugar Addiction

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Trading in one addiction for another addiction to another addiction = an addictive personality.

Reading about sugar addiction has been an interesting learning experience as it is a real problem.

Sugar increases the dopamine receptors for the short term and we feel pleasure.

Despite being stuck with the sugar addiction low pleasure gene, you may be able to modify its activity by modulating your brain chemistry and receptor function with specific nutrients ...

Balance your blood sugar: research studies say that low blood sugar levels are associated with lower overall blood flows to the brain, which means more bad decisions.
Suggestions:
Eat breakfast with a protein like eggs, protein shake, or nut butters.
Have smaller meals throughout the day
Have a protein snack - lean animal protein, nuts, seeds, beans
Avoid eating 3 hours before bedtime

Eliminate sugar and artificial sweeteners and cravings will go away:
Go cold turkey. You have to stop for your brain to reset. Eliminate refined sugars, sodas, fruit juices, and artificial sweeteners from your diet. These are all drugs that will fuel cravings.

Get plenty of sleep.

Optimize your nutrients status with craving cutting supplements:

Optimize your vitamin D level
Optimize Omega-3's
Consider taking natural supplements for craving control:

Glutamine, tyrosine, 5-HTP are amino acids that help reduce cravings. Stress reducing herbs such as Rhodiola can help. Chromium balances blood sugar and can help take the edge off cravings. Glucomannan fiber is very helpful to reduce the spikes in sugar and insulin that drive cravings and hunger.

For more information here is a link to the article:

Stopping Addiction to Sugar: Willpower or Genetics? - Dr. Mark Hyman

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
I've been drinking Dr Pepper for my whole adult life; lately about 2-3 liters a day. Two weeks ago, I ran out of my last 2 liter, and haven't had any since. The place on the counter where my bottle sat, is now a jug of water. To my surprise, when I had a can of Zevia the other day, it tasted better than I remember. For those who don't know, Zevia is a pop made with stevia - a natural sugar, without the problems that can arise from regular sugar, or worse yet, high-fructose corn syrup.

The pop, like cigarettes, had me under its spell. But like smoking, I kicked pop to the curb. Unlike smoking, it was really easy to do. I just drank water in its place. Now I've figured I'll have the occasional 20 oz, when I'm on the road, but the craving is just gone. I'd rather have my life without addictions... except for hot sauce. :cool:

Oh... and the heartburn that was quite often waking me up for a few hours at night? Gone.

Last edited:

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Tennesseahawk - my first addiction was smoking and I was very good at it and I was sure glad when I kicked that one to the curb. I would hate to go through anything like that again.

gandrimp

Rookie Expediter
My wonderful wife made me a pecan pie (I do love me pecan pie).I could only eat 1 piece because she used stevia instead of sugar. Sucrose = world class heartburn for me.. Stevia = a headache that makes me want sucrose. We drink water, milk,coffee BLACK, an occasional tea, and an OJ that isn't loaded w/sweetstuff.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
I woke up thirsty this morning and satisfied my craving by drinking water. Am I addicted to water?

The other day I experienced a momentarily craving for sugar when someone offered me a cupcake. Does that craving mean I am addicted to sugar? (I declined the cupcake).

Once upon a time, I regularly stopped at drive-through windows for a quick snack because I craved the comfort food. Does that mean I was addicted to fast food? (I don't do it any more and the thought of fast food is repulsive).

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I woke up thirsty this morning and satisfied my craving by drinking water. Am I addicted to water?

The other day I experienced a momentarily craving for sugar when someone offered me a cupcake. Does that craving mean I am addicted to sugar? (I declined the cupcake).

Once upon a time, I regularly stopped at drive-through windows for a quick snack because I craved the comfort food. Does that mean I was addicted to fast food? (I don't do it any more and the thought of fast food is repulsive).

Fortunately, Sugar has not been a problem for the last 4 years. I actually get a little nauseated looking at sugary treats for some reason. I just noticed that it's been 1 month since I made the switch to water from pop. I've had maybe 4 glasses of pop during this time, and really don't miss it at all :)

truckblue

Expert Expediter
Driver
Trading in one addiction for another addiction to another addiction = an addictive personality.

Reading about sugar addiction has been an interesting learning experience as it is a real problem.

Sugar increases the dopamine receptors for the short term and we feel pleasure.

Despite being stuck with the sugar addiction low pleasure gene, you may be able to modify its activity by modulating your brain chemistry and receptor function with specific nutrients ...

Balance your blood sugar: research studies say that low blood sugar levels are associated with lower overall blood flows to the brain, which means more bad decisions.
Suggestions:
Eat breakfast with a protein like eggs, protein shake, or nut butters.
Have smaller meals throughout the day
Have a protein snack - lean animal protein, nuts, seeds, beans
Avoid eating 3 hours before bedtime

Eliminate sugar and artificial sweeteners and cravings will go away:
Go cold turkey. You have to stop for your brain to reset. Eliminate refined sugars, sodas, fruit juices, and artificial sweeteners from your diet. These are all drugs that will fuel cravings.

Get plenty of sleep.

Optimize your nutrients status with craving cutting supplements:

Optimize your vitamin D level
Optimize Omega-3's
Consider taking natural supplements for craving control:

Glutamine, tyrosine, 5-HTP are amino acids that help reduce cravings. Stress reducing herbs such as Rhodiola can help. Chromium balances blood sugar and can help take the edge off cravings. Glucomannan fiber is very helpful to reduce the spikes in sugar and insulin that drive cravings and hunger.

For more information here is a link to the article:

Stopping Addiction to Sugar: Willpower or Genetics? - Dr. Mark Hyman

One black cup of coffee in the morning, 64oz sippy cup filled to the brim with ice and either water or unsweet tea during the afternoon. I try to stay away from a lot of carbs, too. I find I don't get sleepy during the day. Also, I enjoy the Naked brand juices and find the vitamins help me stay energized.