Success with multi-carrier model?

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Does anyone feel like they are doing well running with a CV using the multi-carrier model? Any opinions on who the best carriers are that allow this practice?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using EO Forums mobile app

letzrockexpress

Veteran Expediter
Does anyone feel like they are doing well running with a CV using the multi-carrier model? Any opinions on who the best carriers are that allow this practice?

It's not a big deal really. Those who don't or haven't done it are the ones who get all bent out of shape. My vans and I were running with two different carriers but have since gone back to On-Dekk exclusively as they are giving us all we can handle. I had originally gone to the second company because we wanted more freight. I chose that particular second carrier because they were involved heavily in hauling freight for the railroad and it was a really nice supplement to what we were already doing. We did very well running with two companies. Our insurance co. was fine with it and our primary carrier was fine with it also. Again, we dealt with two different companies who were involved with different freight sources. This is the key if you expect to increase your loaded miles in the "multi carrier" system IMHO.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
It's not a big deal really. Those who don't or haven't done it are the ones who get all bent out of shape. My vans and I were running with two different carriers but have since gone back to On-Dekk exclusively as they are giving us all we can handle. I had originally gone to the second company because we wanted more freight. I chose that particular second carrier because they were involved heavily in hauling freight for the railroad and it was a really nice supplement to what we were already doing. We did very well running with two companies. Our insurance co. was fine with it and our primary carrier was fine with it also. Again, we dealt with two different companies who were involved with different freight sources. This is the key if you expect to increase your loaded miles in the "multi carrier" system IMHO.

Was the second company out of the Erie, PA area?

jimlookup

Seasoned Expediter
If I give it my all, I can do between 1500 and 2500 paid miles a week. It was closer to 1500 this summer and closer to 2500 latlely. My dead head runs 10 to 15%. If I'm not well rested I won't take a load over 700 miles. I also try to stay out of the deep south, but I do like the border towns. I have 5 carriers I can haul for but mostly I just haul for two, neither of which is ever mentioned on these pages. You have a lot more independence if you haul for multable carriers. No one is counting the loads you turn down because they're busy trying to find one you won't. I have Progressive insurance and it still costs $280 a month. I was recently told that you now have to buy at least 6 months at a time. I always paid for a year but am considering working just spring and fall so this will be a problem.

Last edited:

paullud

Veteran Expediter
If I give it my all, I can do between 1500 and 2500 paid miles a week. It was closer to 1500 this summer and closer to 2500 latlely. My dead head runs 10 to 15%. If I'm not well rested I won't take a load over 700 miles. I also try to stay out of the deep south, but I do like the border towns. I have 5 carriers I can haul for but mostly I just haul for two, neither of which is ever mentioned on these pages. You have a lot more independence if you haul for multable carriers. No one is counting the loads you turn down because they're busy trying to find one you won't. I have Progressive insurance and it still costs $280 a month. I was recently told that you now have to buy at least 6 months at a time. I always paid for a year but am considering working just spring and fall so this will be a problem.

How do the 2 that you mostly haul for pay, percentage or flat rate?

jimlookup

Seasoned Expediter
Both pay flat rate and it's probably a little less than a dedicated carrier. However, my only back office expense is my insurance.