Stupid new signs

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
My new signs, the ugly stupid looking ones, are already coming off. They got ate in a truck wash. I talked to FDCC about it. They sent us a "list" of do's and don'ts about truck washing. Of course it was after the fact. They have not decided who is to pay to fix them.

Don't use the truck wash in Monroe, the one across the freeway from the TA at exit 15. The pressure is either too high or the jets are at the wrong angle. They don't do a good job either.

It is strange but my old signs NEVER had this problem. Now my truck REALLY looks ugly.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
I had one letter damaged ripped where it goes over a rivet.
Called Contractor Relations and they didn't seemed concerned.
I asked if I could go to a rebranding center for one letter and was told NO.
I avoid Blue Beacon. Use them for emergencies only.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I had one letter damaged ripped where it goes over a rivet.
Called Contractor Relations and they didn't seemed concerned.
I asked if I could go to a rebranding center for one letter and was told NO.
I avoid Blue Beacon. Use them for emergencies only.

It was not a Blue Beacon where the damage happened.

There is a LOT of sign damage. Two "stripes" about 10' long.

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
Ours are holding up just fine. We use Blue Beacon and have them brush the box every time. We also have the full vinyl wrap on the box.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Ours are holding up just fine. We use Blue Beacon and have them brush the box every time. We also have the full vinyl wrap on the box.

The truck wash CLAIMED their pressure jets were putting out 300PSI, which is well within what the graphics company CLAIMS the signs can handle. This information was NOT made available to us when the signs were put on.

Per the company who made the graphics:

Power Washing Graphics

Power washing, or pressure washing, may be used. However, aggressive washing can
damage the graphic.

Excessive pressure during power washing can damage the graphic by forcing water
underneath the graphic. Water lessens the adhesion of the graphic to the substrate allowing
the graphic to lift or curl. These problems are magnified by wind. This is a critical problem for
perforated window graphic film.

To avoid edge lifting or other damage to the graphics, follow these important steps:

- Use a spray nozzle with a 40 degree wide spray pattern.
- Be sure the spray nozzle includes a nozzle protector (tip guard).
- Use a maximum pressure of 1500 to 2000 psi.
- If the system is heated, limit the water temperature to 180°F (82°C) or less.
- Hold nozzle at least 12 inches (300 mm) away from and perpendicular (90 degrees
+/- 10) to the graphic.
- Do not direct the water stream at a sharp angle to the edge of the graphic.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
That looks terrible.

Or some may say it looks hip. No Fear.

There has been NO determination, as yet, from either FDCC or 3M, on who is going to pay to fix this. I have a strange feeling that I am going to get stuck with the bill to fix these signs that are ugly to start with. What a major waste of money putting on these new signs were.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
At the top damage on the D and the E it looks like the damage started in from the edge . Is that true ? That seems weird too.
Related topic. How are the wraps holding up ?
A friend bought a used box and their carrier doesn't like the shadow of the old carrier showing.
They thought a wrap would only take a few hours and thought it may only be a few hundred dollars. Any insight ?

zorry

Veteran Expediter
I'd be surprised if you paid more than 1/3.
I wouldn't want to pay anything in the first year. It may go three way split.
As big of a contract as that was I would think 3M would eat it and ask Fed to put out the truck wash instructions to everybody.
In the future it'll then be between the trucker and the truck wash. Good luck with that !

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Your share,if any,should be deducted from your $1000 branding bonus when it comes.

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter
We are having problems with excessive air bubbles on the sides ( that the installer said would go away...they didn't) For awhile I was using a razor blade tip to put a small hole in them and then flattening them out but gave up after a few weeks.

On the rear doors where they wrapped the hinge brackets, they left small gaps in the vinyl and water is getting in under the vinyl and creating water filled bumps that resemble chicken pox and they are spreading.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
There has been NO determination, as yet, from either FDCC or 3M, on who is going to pay to fix this. I have a strange feeling that I am going to get stuck with the bill to fix these signs that are ugly to start with. What a major waste of money putting on these new signs were.

Why did you put the signs on? If they are causing you such a headache and you do not like the looks of your truck it seems like it would be wiser to not worry about the incentive.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
We are having problems with excessive air bubbles on the sides ( that the installer said would go away...they didn't) For awhile I was using a razor blade tip to put a small hole in them and then flattening them out but gave up after a few weeks.

On the rear doors where they wrapped the hinge brackets, they left small gaps in the vinyl and water is getting in under the vinyl and creating water filled bumps that resemble chicken pox and they are spreading.

Those bubbles would drive me crazy every time I saw them.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Maybe it's Karma striking to show whoever decided to change from our formerly really good looking signs to these and you are just the unlucky instrument of the hit.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
We did not put the signs on for the bonus. We put the signs on because we believe that it is important to look like a FDCC truck when will pull into a customers place of business.

If I were in charge of FedEx I would have concentrated the limited funds I have on taking care of items of real importance rather than signs. I would have put that money into fixing problems that directly affect both customer service AND proper operations. They chose signs. I won't go into the problems I would have worked on in open forum since they involve propriatary information. The decision to change signs rather than fixing real problems was very dissapointing to me.

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter
Was watching the NHRA drag races on TV from Brainerd,MN, and thought I would throw out this warning concerning vinyl wraps.
Tim Wilkerson who normally drives the Levi Ray and Shoup Mustang had a one race deal to rebrand his car with circle K logo's.
In round two nearing the finish line at 309 mph his vinyl wrap tore away from the rear of car.
So there you have it FECC guys and gals, keep those vans and s/t's under 300 if you want to keep your signs intact.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using EO Forums mobile app

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Was watching the NHRA drag races on TV from Brainerd,MN, and thought I would throw out this warning concerning vinyl wraps.
Tim Wilkerson who normally drives the Levi Ray and Shoup Mustang had a one race deal to rebrand his car with circle K logo's.
In round two nearing the finish line at 309 mph his vinyl wrap tore away from the rear of car.
So there you have it FECC guys and gals, keep those vans and s/t's under 300 if you want to keep your signs intact.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using EO Forums mobile app

No problem, we have our speed limiter set at 295.