Mechanical Strong fuel smell after about 5-6 hours of driving

hinobraga

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
Hey All

I own a 2010 HINO 185, just had the DPF manually cleaned, fuel filter oil changed .. based in Toronto so the weathers fair cold -10 to -15 Celsius

After driving for about 5-6 hours for the past few days there’s a very strong smell of fuel inside the cabin

Only after driving 5-6 hours consistently brought it to my mechanic no exhaust leak and changed out an oil line that was leaking

Still same fuel smell after about 6-7 hours of driving, no idea what it is any help on where I should be looking or such would be appreciated

Side note We also own a international durastar which we park beside and it also has been having the same issues after 6-7 hours of driving strong smell in the cabin

We park at an open lot and have had some issues with someone of the other guys who park there...never know just wanted to put that out there Incase some foul play has occurred

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

Hino123

Expert Expediter
Researching
If its not visibly leaking fuel I would assume its not leaking fuel. If it was leaking there would be a wet spot somewhere. Its very common for the exhaust manifold studs to brake on the 4 cylinder engines. There usually they break in the the #1 or #4 cylinders. If you can peek in and look to verify they are still there, and for black soot. If you bump the idle to 980 rpm and command on the exhaust brake sometimes it will be more noticeable. I know you said your mechanic said no leaks but id re-check anyway. You also stated the DPR was just cleaned, I dont know how reputable the company that cleaned it was but I have heard all sorts of stories of people using weird stuff to clean DPR's. Is it more noticeable when performing a manual regen or after an auto regen? Did this smell start right after the DPR was cleaned??? Is there a hole in the CAC, or is it plugged an blowing off the hose. Does it whistle under a load? Without hands and a nose on this on it might be hard to get your answer. Report back with more info and hopefully we can get to the bottom of it.

hinobraga

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
Appreciate the response. I’ve checked in both the cylinders and they appear to be looking fine, it was fine for over a month after the DPR was cleaned it did run a little rough everytime startup but is pretty good after it warms up after an hour or so later . Regents are okay as well but now that you mention it I am going to go through it once more my self and make sure I don’t see any leaks hopefully it is just a leak that I can’t see

deadhead

Veteran Expediter
I had a stong fuel issue and found what my fix it guy told me my Sprinter was making oil thats what happen was a seal in a fuel inj was put fuel in the cylinder it was going pass the rings in oil pan.By then it was a lost cause.Can anybody spell NEW ENGINE.Now here I seat throwing good money after bad,it all started with a stick EGR 1200 miles from a Certified Grease Monkey, I love it when there seating at there desk looking a vacation flyers telling you that new Engine with labor is $14k. So if your Sprinter needs a Tune Up Call Knox Speed at 865 474 1480 ask for Ryan Or Michael.There like Roto Ruter all your troubles are down the drain.Ask for the Sprinter Special.

dalscott

Expert Expediter
I had a stong fuel issue and found what my fix it guy told me my Sprinter was making oil thats what happen was a seal in a fuel inj was put fuel in the cylinder it was going pass the rings in oil pan.By then it was a lost cause.Can anybody spell NEW ENGINE.Now here I seat throwing good money after bad,it all started with a stick EGR 1200 miles from a Certified Grease Monkey, I love it when there seating at there desk looking a vacation flyers telling you that new Engine with labor is $14k. So if your Sprinter needs a Tune Up Call Knox Speed at 865 474 1480 ask for Ryan Or Michael.There like Roto Ruter all your troubles are down the drain.Ask for the Sprinter Special.

I recently had the same thing in my 06 Sprinter. Smelled it at stoplights and such. Fortunately my mechanic suspected that was it. Changed the seal and all is ok now.

Reactions: deadhead