Stride Drive

Spyralspyder

New Recruit
Driver
Tax question. I am an Uber Eats driver and have filed my 1099s before. I payed all of my fuel doing that and claimed all of my miles.

I am starting with a fleet owner beginning next month. It is a 60/40 split. Can I claim all of my miles in this scenario? I will be claiming normal deductions for food and equipment, but fuel will be the biggest red flag I would suppose. Then again as a food delivery driver my miles added up quite quickly as well.

Any advice? I would love to just turn on my app when I start running on a load. Can I claim deadhead miles or would that count as commuting to work and thus not be deductable?

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
Spyder A proper response to your questions depends on vehicle ownership. You say you'll be driving for a fleet owner so, we would guess that you will drive the owners vehicle and pay fuel and tolls and the owner will pay for all other vehicle expenses such as insurance and maintenance. If we are correct, you may deduct fuel and tolls and may not deduct mileage, loaded and deadhead. If you own the vehicle (cargo van?) you may deduct all business use mileage. You really need to talk with a tax adviser who is familiar with IRS regulations concerning commercial use of a vehicle. You also should become familiar with per diem deductions for transportation workers.

Reactions: LDB

Staten7100

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
Hi I am starting a new company 14’ box and need help with insurance. Any suggestions for $1M liability & $100K cargo. My truck is covered through geico commercial but was told they only go up to $500K liability & I could buy that & get an umbrella for the balance. I am lost any help? Thanks!

Reactions: dalscott

Spyralspyder

New Recruit
Driver
I will call my fleet owner and iron out more details. I'm pretty sure he will be able to help with the tax details. Will be expediting for an owner in a cargo van.

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Hi I am starting a new company 14’ box and need help with insurance. Any suggestions for $1M liability & $100K cargo. My truck is covered through geico commercial but was told they only go up to $500K liability & I could buy that & get an umbrella for the balance. I am lost any help? Thanks!

CIS
Commercial Insurance Solutions
Akron, OH

Just tell them that one of their clients referred you. They guy has a clean driving record, pays his bills on time & is a royal pain in the *#$! ;)

You'll find info about them on this site ..

Preston j

New Recruit
Driver
New member as well. I also just started running for a van fleet owner. Im confused as well about how i will be able to deduct fuel and take a meal per diem using a van that i do not own or lease? Owning the van is what qualifies you as an owner operator. The IRS will want the vehicle info used in service. I know i must be missing something. How are you guys running for fleet owners making your deductions on your taxes?

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
New member as well. I also just started running for a van fleet owner. Im confused as well about how i will be able to deduct fuel and take a meal per diem using a van that i do not own or lease? Owning the van is what qualifies you as an owner operator. The IRS will want the vehicle info used in service. I know i must be missing something. How are you guys running for fleet owners making your deductions on your taxes?
That is where a good CPA knowledgeable in trucking would be the one to ask.