Straight truck under 26k

bentleytech1

Seasoned Expediter
Is anyone running a straight truck under 26000 lbs.?? In NY for commercial driving that requires a class c licence.
I could be a 18-20 ft. box and a sleeper.

Is there any money to be made this way, or do I really need to go the expense of getting a class B license?

JohnMueller

Staff member
Motor Carrier Executive
Safety & Compliance
Carrier Management
Bentley - think about maximizing your load opportunities by increasing your load carrying capacity. Straights with 33,000 or tandem straights with 46,000 GVW allow you to carry more weight than a Non-CDL (< = 26,000 GVW) straight truck. Make sure the box of the truck is wide enough to accommodate two pallets side by side as in at least 96" wide, wider is better. Same with box length - longer can increase pallet capacity. CDL B is not all that tough to obtain. There are many on-line study guides available to help you.

Good luck in your ventures!

bentleytech1

Seasoned Expediter
Thanks John for the reply. I currently have CDL B learners permit with Air brakes and Hazmat Endorsements. The issue is finding someone with a truck and a CDL B to take the skills/driving test.
Could probably just go to a driving school, but looking at cost.

Thanks for your reply, and any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Also how often are the straight trucks at 33k using their full capacity? I understand that the larger trucks have more opportunities, but they also have higher operating costs. So do the additional load opportunities make up for the higher operating costs??

vandriver2

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
If you're anywhere near NW Ohio - Trainco Truck Driving School in Perrysburg
I bet could facilitate your Testing needs. It's where I attained my Class A CDL in 2010.