Straight Truck Questions / Peterbilt 335

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Going to look into a 08 or 09 Peterbilt 335 perhaps in somewhat near future as prices continue to drop. I cannot afford a fancy class 8 so I was wondering if you guys would suggest a class 6 or 7 for expedite to start out? Is the 335 and 337 comfortable rigs to cruise coast to coast in?

How much is a used/new 20 ft box and a new 72 inch sleeper run? I've heard good things about bentz.

What size box is has best most drivable dimensions for lower clearance, I'd prefer most narrow and least tallest.

Leaning towards a auto with air ride. Any other options or aftermarket upgrades that are recommended besides the espar and ac? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

TeamHutch

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Re: Strait Truck Questions / Peterbilt 335

I've read to stay away from trucks 07 to 10 with the dpf filters. A lot of problems with those years. I've seen new 72 sleeper cascadias with 22 and 24 boxes with generators for 148k in the eo classifieds. Never been a fan of freightliner but have heard some good thing about those trucks.

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

So 06 or 2011. I hear Peterbuilts are rock solid and can get up to 11mpg

Yeah that is way out of my range. Maybe 20 yrs from now I can afford one by then trucks will be getting 20 mpg or fully electric... lol In the meantime I'll be pushing sprinters coast to coast.

Nice looking morgan box here. Not sure what the spec is. Just needs the sleeper and I'm good to go :)

http://twentywheels.com/imgs/a/a/e/...obtail_furniture_moving_at_air_ride_1_lgw.jpg

Last edited:

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

Class 8 trucks generally cost 10-20% more than class 7 and generally give 50-60% longer "shelf" life. You'll likely see a lower overall cpm when factoring in all the extra miles of life you get out of the class 8. Good luck with your decision.

EASYTRADER

Expert Expediter

YOur best bet is a "used" volvo, that you put a box on. Especially if comfort is your thing. A used class 8 is still better than most new 7's for driver comfort. 7's are designed for P&D so they generally don't ride as well as an 8, and in the class 8 world Volvos have the best ride.

So get a used one for less than 60k and have it stretched add a box for 13k, you'll have a built in sleeper, get better fuel milage and have a truck that will last as long as you do.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using EO Forums mobile app

paullud

Veteran Expediter

So get a used one for less than 60k and have it stretched add a box for 13k, you'll have a built in sleeper, get better fuel milage and have a truck that will last as long as you do.

How much would it cost to have a class 8 stretched?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using EO Forums mobile app

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy

Stretch a class 8. You will have to go back a few years. There was a fairly lengthy discussion on who does the best work on stretching class 8's. Along with the address's.

EASYTRADER

Expert Expediter
I got a qoute about 6 mos ago in california for 3500 to stretch a frame. Its not that big of a deal, its done all the time.

Then ur looking at 8 to 10k for a box.

Last edited:

KickStarter6

Veteran Expediter
When y'all say stretch the frame on a class 8 do you buying a existing big rig, making the frame longer and adding a box to it?

pearlpro

Expert Expediter
Yes a Class 8 Big Rig you dissassemble the rear/s tandems, stretch the frame where they use a double wall extension, welded and then reinstall your existing Tandems, and running gear, a new Driveshaft, and you add a 22/24 box, there are distinct advantages to this setup as the Class 8 truck will give you added weight capacity, and durability....you wont be taxing the drive train with heavy loads as you might be doing with a Class 6/7 truck such as the Peterbuilt, or Freightliner. Even a Used Class 8 will last considerably longer and give you greater serviceability if you stick with a common truck, Another way to do this is with a Glider Kit,

Gliders are KITS TRUCKS, you can buy them with any combination of engines, trans, wheels, etc..
You can buy a wrecked truck, or used truck and extract the engines and parts and build your glider....

Or you can buy a used truck and add your own sleeper, update or refresh the engine and trans, etc...

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

YOur best bet is a "used" volvo, that you put a box on. Especially if comfort is your thing. A used class 8 is still better than most new 7's for driver comfort. 7's are designed for P&D so they generally don't ride as well as an 8, and in the class 8 world Volvos have the best ride.

I like this volvo idea didn't realize it was that inexpensive to stretch the frames, what year volvo would be the best? I'd like the d11 if possible but you have to get the larger engine which uses more fuel to get the largest sleeper. I think I'd want to go with the largest sleeper possible. The cabs look rather large and roomy.