straight truck question

trump

Expert Expediter
I am driving a van for a company located in the detroit area and they want me to upgrade to a straight truck.
What worries me is how I am getting paid. I have never been paid by the load and dont know what to look for . also what about multi loads. I load trucks there after I am done with my van runs to help out and see trucks with 3 to 4 stops on them . how do the companies pay for the multi stops. Is there anything else that i might need to know. thank you

trump

Expert Expediter
I am getting paid by the hour. If I move up to a c truck I will be getting paid by loads or miles.

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
Trump: No offense intended but, It would seem to me that the place to start is with the company you now work for. What's their offer in terms of compensation for single and/or multi loads? With that info you can come back here to compare what others are getting, and how they are paid. We've seen multi-loads paid equally as a percentage and by the mile. We've also seen second and third loads paid less by the carrier even though they get the same for each load by their customers. Some customers have multiple drops from the same shipper so they pay only for the milage from delivery #1 to Del #2 etc; usually with an additional drop charge premium.

trump

Expert Expediter
Terry. Thank you for your guidance.I do appreciate all the help I get here. and I will do what you suggested.It seems like there is so much to learn.