Straight truck pay per mile/ average miles a week

Mars22

Active Expediter
I have done delivery for years with a car and want to actually make money. Been looking at straight trucks. Finding actual pay per mile and average miles a week for a solo has been difficult. Im seeing $1.35 most often but that seems really low for the cost of the truck+fuel+insurance+tax+tolls....

$1.35 would be alright if that included dead head and you got 2500+miles a week.

So whats the deal, anyone have actual numbers and miles?

Daffyduck528

Expert Expediter
Fedex pays $1.25/mile plus fsc. The fsc has been paying between 28 cents and 32 cents. The solo part though is questionable.

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Consider getting your own authority you have better control over the expenses and when and where the truck goes. Also consider running local and regional service. I run within a 500 mile radius of home. I make better money and sleep in my own bed almost every night except for regional work but that's usually a night or two, if I'm busy, no more than a week out.
I average $3.00 - $3.25 per loaded mile all in local within 200 miles and $2.50 200 to 500 miles.
It works for me, good luck.

Bob Wolf.

Mars22

Active Expediter
See, thats what Im talking about. I get like $.50 a mile for courier work and would be a hell of a lot happier making something like that.

Edit: What sort of truck are running, and how hard is it to find loads? And I assume your per mile pay is one way...

Last edited:

iceroadtrucker

Veteran Expediter
Driver
My Co Driver got a job offer from a OOP from IND that owns Reefer Straight Trucks. Told him he could run single On the East Coast. You can make money if the OOP pays the fuel and the tolls. If your stuck paying the fuel and tolls Your not going to make what u think for your family. Fool or Fool Hearty. Foolish to go down that road again think about it. ( Leasing to own) many companies offer Be your own boss. In India Cobras are abundent a good man can catch them and not get bit. Catch a cobra be like a mongoose. Dont let the Stair mesmorize you again. Good Luck.

rollincoal

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Consider getting your own authority you have better control over the expenses and when and where the truck goes. Also consider running local and regional service. I run within a 500 mile radius of home. I make better money and sleep in my own bed almost every night except for regional work but that's usually a night or two, if I'm busy, no more than a week out.
I average $3.00 - $3.25 per loaded mile all in local within 200 miles and $2.50 200 to 500 miles.
It works for me, good luck.

Bob Wolf.

OP has "miles think" very hard to make anything in this business with that mindset.

Sent from my C811 4G using EO Forums mobile app

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I shot the O.P. a P.M. one of my long detailed how to's.

Maybe Ill post it after some fine tuning tomorrow.

I've learned the way to make money is not how many miles to run at the "going rate", but how much per mile. Will the job pay enough to make it worth while after paying the bills.

Bob Wolf.