Straight Truck or Tractor

bubber

Rookie Expediter
Hey guys,
I am a retired military guy interested in getting into expediting as an O/O.
I have looked at straight trucks vs tractors and I just seem like the payout is with the road tractors. I am sure there are pro's and con's to both.

So, does anyone have experience with both or going from one to the other?
What advice do you have for a single driver starting out.

I really need to make some decisions soon.

Thanks much for the help.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Tractors always give you more opportunities due to the amount of freight they are capable of hauling. They are also cheaper to purchase and are in great demand in this industry. If you have the qualifications to drive a T/T I would suggest you look that way especially if you are going to run solo.

EASYTRADER

Expert Expediter
You will net probly 40% more in a tractor. If I had it to do over I would buy a tractor

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

crich

Expert Expediter
Fleet Manager
US Navy
if your here to work go with the tractor. sure pros and cons to both but the bottom line is cash.
more options for sure with the tractor

beachbum

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Straight truck in a heart beat. I came from a T/T to a Sprinter and have never looked back If I was to drive where I had to follow HOS it would be in a straight truck.

rollincoal

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Tractor trailer gives you flexibility.

Sent from my C811 4G using EO Forums mobile app

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Bubber: I've driven both, and cargo vans, too. I am currently, and permanently, driving straight truck solo.
If your bottom line is to make as much money as possible, ['dam the torpedoes, we're making bank!'] then the big truck is probably better.
If you're more interested in the quality of time spent away, the straight is a winner. You can go anywhere an RV goes, which allows for some sightseeing between loads. And in expediting, [esp during the slower months of Jan & Feb], the time between loads can be 2 or 3 days. If you get a load to a nice warm place, you can wait for the next one in a lovely state park, instead of the ugly parking lots.
It just depends on your priorities.