Straight truck or stretched class 8?

sylvester

Expert Expediter
Maybe it's because all I have ever driven cross country is a class 8 tractor (semi), but when purchasing a new expediting truck, would it make more sense to get like a Volvo 770 and stretch the frame. I looked at the straight truck expediter's on the road and they just remind me too much of a city delivery truck with a sleeper added to it. A class 8 tractor is made for every day Hwy. driving.
I'll be new to this line of trucking, so I hope I didn't step on anyone; this is just a question I thought some would like to give their opinions on.
Thanks,
Sylvester

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
It doesn't get much better then a 770 but unless you are running team it's very unlikel;y that you will get a cross country run in the expediting business as the HOS rules will keep you to shorter trips.

Glen Rice

Veteran Expediter
The new trend is exactly what you suggested! Class 8 Volvo would be awesome. This vehicle will easily go 1,000,000 miles because non of the components will ever be over taxed. Imagine the weight of the truck being in the 30,000 lb. range and not the typical 80,000lbs. More fun to drive, greater stabilty, better warranty's. On the down side is expense. The folks that I know whom have done your proposal never looked back. Talk to them when you see them running in your area, they will love talking about there "Big" truck! Good luck and if there is anything else we can help you with just let us know. FYI Vomac Trucks in Ft. Wayne In has done several class 8 expeditors and they can save you the quess work that some other dealers might try. Mike Landwher is the salesman to contact. He's a great guy to work with.

mikecop

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
My first truck when I started expediting in 1998 was a Freightliner FL70, which was recommended by the recruiter. It was underpowered, and had a number of repairs required before I sold it after 500,000 miles of service.

My current truck is a class 8 stretched, and is much better for the requirements of over-the-road straight truck truckin'.

I have seen many more stretched class 8 units on the road during the past two to three years. Many of us have learned that the class 8 is the best way to go. Mike

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
The Phil Peters guy should jump in her as he is buying a volvo with a bentz 120. For a new team a 770 would be more cost effective.
The more current information that you can get the better as slots are either filled or slowly getting filled before 2007 models come out. 2007's will cost more and have a question of reliability because of new government standards.
Davekc

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I really like the Western Star that's shown in the trucks available listing on the classifieds. If they'd had one ready to drive away I'd probably have bought it however I'm very happy with my Sterling and I do believe it is more economical both on purchase and operation.

Leo
truck 767

Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I prefer a class 7 because you can turn the chassis over every 5 years and generally keep the drivetrain on warranty through that period. A class 8 is designed to go 10 years. It will be under warranty for only part of that period. Class 8 will generally cost almost twice as much as the 7 when buying new. It is too expensive to turn a class 8 chassis every 5 years. After 5 years of service, the class 8 will cost much more because of higher payments and regular maintenance costs. At the 5 years, with the class 7, you have another new chassis. In our case, we just change the chassis keeping the same sleeper and box.
Also worth considering that with Pete,KW,Sterling, that they are using essentially the same parts as on the class 8. Why pay and finance an extra $50,000 or more? Class 8's to me are more desirable if you are strictly shopping used equipment.
Just my two cents worth.
Davekc