Straight Truck Cargo Floor Replacement?

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
The cargo area of our truck body is getting really beat up looking from the wild forklift drivers out there.
It is structurally sound but is getting huge gouges in the wood.
I am thinking of putting a 3/8 inch layer of plywood over it (glued and screwed) and a few coats of polyurethane.
Does anyone else have any ideas?

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Don't do the plywood thing. I've seen the mess that makes when forklift makes a mess out of it.

There are a number of things that you can fill the gouges in and than sand and coat it to seal it.

mcavoy33

Seasoned Expediter
Your going to lose your shirt and truck if you run flat rate. See this is proof already that your truck is falling apart.

You can't make money at flat rate :eek:

All kidding aside, did you surpass the 13k mile mark in your second month?

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
We did 16009 miles in 24 days. 10 runs.
We were laid over for 4 day in El Paso for the July 4th weekend.

TeaDance

Active Expediter
Rent a commercial hard-wood floor sander ( belt sander) and resurface your flood. Apply multi coats of poly.
You may loose an 1/8 of your floor, but by the time that wears, you will need a new box anyways.

Refer Hauler

Expert Expediter
You can fill the gouges in with "Bondo" or some type of epoxy auto body filler and then sand it before applying the sealer.

Slacktide

Seasoned Expediter
Best advice I can give is sand your floor down and apply a 2 part epoxy. The epoxy will fill any deep gouges and provide an extremely durable finish. We have it on our floor and are more than pleased with how it has performed over a two year period.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Check out the company below. They make all kinds of 2 part epoxies. We used the "FlexSteel" epoxy for coating the bottoms of airboats in the EverGlades. It would stand up to 3-4 years of heavy use in the sawgrass down there. They don't call is sawgrass for no reason either. It cuts up aluminum like butter.

Fasco unlimited