Stolen ID?

dcalien

Seasoned Expediter
Perrysburg, Ohio. Flying J. As I have done many times, I went up to the fuel desk to have the pump turned on. They took my frequent fueler card. I went and fueled, and when I went to pay, my card was gone.

Anyone have any suggestions to keep this from happening again?

Maybe I will just have to pay at the pump and quit trying to get free showers. I use a Visa, and sometimes (usually), pump kicks off at 50 or 75 bucks.

Glad it wasn't my license I left.

dhalltoyo

Veteran Expediter
Dave,

I just put my Frequent Fueler Card in the card reader at the pump.

Once it acknowledges you as a FF, it then prompts me for my credit card.

Next, I put the CC in the card reader.

After it reads the CC then I can pump without having to go inside.

The FF swiped at the pump will generally allow you to pump more than $75.00, because the FF card coupled with your CC gives the system more assurance that you can be tracked down if it becomes a fradulent charge.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
We are wary of leaving a fuel card or CDL in the care of any truck stop employee. Most of the truck stops we use have card readers at the pumps so the request is not often made.

To answer your question, if you were asked to turn over your card or CDL, you might first ask the counter person for his or her name and permission to use your cell phone camera to take a picture of the person holding the item. If they are not going to trust you to pay for your fuel, it is not unreasonable to explain that you are not going to trust them with your fuel card or CDL.

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
I use the Flying J Frequent Fueler card at the 4 wheeler pump card reader and indicate "pay inside" when prompted. This procedure has allowed me to use the Visa card for more than the allowable $50.

dcalien

Seasoned Expediter
Thanks for the replies, I see I have been doing it wrong. I knew I was never going to leave anything with them again.

Hope no one used my card to activate a pump then drove off. I am calling Flying J as soon as they open.

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
I use a J Frequent Fueler card and a Mastercard but I do it a little different than the Rev - I swipe the credit card, then I swipe the Frequent Fueler card when the prompt appears to "Insert Loyalty Card".

So far I haven't hit a transaction limit by doing so - if I'm low sometimes the fuel up will exceed $100.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Like David I get fuel at the Flying J, pay at the pump, either car diesel or at the RV pumps, and my Frequent Fueler card will turn on the pumps without me having to go in, and I still get my shower credits by using the FF card.

Swiping the FF card activates the pump and it will then ask you how you want to pay, with Option 1 being cash (or credit) to be paid inside the store after filling up, some have Option 2 for pre-paid check, and then Option 3 by Credit Card at the Pump.

I don't pay with cash much anymore, but back when I did, where they make you go in and pre-pay, back when it took less than $50 to fill up the car, I'd go in and hand them three 20's or a $100 bill, and I'd make them give me a receipt for the deposit. You go in and leave a deposit, go back out and pump, then go back in and get your change and receipt. Going into the store twice to buy something once just chaps my butt, so I made them give me a pre-pay receipt just because it annoyed them, more than anything.

But at other places (like the TA) where they want to hold on to my CDL while I go back out and fuel, I make them give me a receipt with their printed and signed name on it for my CDL (or whatever collateral they want me to give them). If they can't trust me to pay, then I'm not going to trust them to take secure care of my CDL. I do it mainly to annoy them, and it does. It's funny when someone gets upset because they think I don't trust them and/or because giving me a receipt is such a burden for them, but the fact is there have been many times when I've given one person my CDL, gone out and fueled, and when I go back in that person is off doing something else and is not at the fuel desk.

Taking a picture of them holding the CDL or card is a good idea, tho. I like that one. It quickly solves a lot of potential problems.

But mostly I pay at the pump, usually at the Flying J.

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
Hope no one used my card to activate a pump then drove off. I am calling Flying J as soon as they open.

if they do you can prove from your trips it was not you. when they acknowledge that fact then ask them if you can have the shower points anyway.:D:D

dcalien

Seasoned Expediter
No one used my card before I got it canceled. I did ask for showers and they gave me two, only of course they expire in two days.:D

I tricked them went home and took a shower at my place.

I will use the new card to activate the pump and then the credit card.

Thanks everyone. I am taking a break, and I forgot how it was to not wait for beep beep beep.