Sterling 10-speed

timothy_flood

Seasoned Expediter
Will be driving a 2000 Sterling. Upshifting is fine, down shifting is the problem. Tried dbl clutching, lower speed. Any suggestions?

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Practice, practice, practice. As you're downshifting, tap the throttle to run the engine up 3-4 hundred RPMs. You'll find the sweet spot.

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
if its a super ten,its will be a real problem for a while,rpms have to be perfect.as was posted about 300 between shifts,watch the rpm drop when you up shift,when you down shift,as you kick the tranny back to neutral,raise the rpms to where you saw they were when you were originally in the higher gear,then put it in that gear,should slide right in

jbolton

Seasoned Expediter
Will be driving a 2000 Sterling. Upshifting is fine, down shifting is the problem. Tried dbl clutching, lower speed. Any suggestions?

as far as i remember from school ...if your in ten you clutch to neutral rev to 1500 rpm clutch to 9 repeat process

when in six gear switch button down clutch to neutral rev 1500 put it in 5th then so forth

I havent driven t/t in 5 years i could be mistaken?

timothy_flood

Seasoned Expediter
Thanks for replies. Yeah, a wierd shifting beast for sure. Practice in the plan for sure. Some folks say don't use clutch, others say do. Gets real frustrating when you hear gears wanting to grind. Appreciate the info.

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
After driving it for a little while you will become good at it. Sometimes I used the clutch to get it to slide into gear better. I never really double clutched because I just wasn't good at it. When my dad and grandpaw taught me they taught me how to float, or sweet shift, the gears. Whatever you want to call it. Once you get where you can do it someone will ask you how and you think about it for a second and most likely have a hard time explaining it. At least if you are anything like me. Some things you know how to do, but have a hard time explaining to others. Just stay pateint.

dare2dream1

Seasoned Expediter
Being a long time driver of over 20 years and having taught people how to drive for a few years I can honestly give you some good advice. 1st of all, always use a clutch, there is a reason why they put a clutch in these trucks that are manual shift, alot of old time drivers and some new ones that were taught by the old ones will not use the clutch which will work to shift into gears but will wear down the plates after awhile.
Now, to up shift you know that you have to get the rpms between 1400-1800 to shift without damage to the transmission. The same goes with down shifting, you need to get the RPMs high enough for the plates to line up, but dont think that you can rev the motor up to 2600 rpms and the truck will downshift, you have to be slightly higher than when you started, so if your tach. 1900, then you need to push in the clutch, let it out at the same time your shifting into nuteral, then tap on the fuel petal until it hits 1900 2000 rpm,and at the same time press in the clutch and pull it down to the next lowest gear, repeat steps until you get to 6th gear, now you have to push the button down that is on the shift handle then repeat all the steps I just told you and remember when you upshift again to push the airride switch back up again.... I hope this helps you but my greatest advice would be to buy a truck with automatic transmission.. I can not figure out why these companies buying new truck dont buy them with auto 10's, greatest thing since sliced bread.......