Steer Tire Rotation

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
It is time to rotate my steer tires. These are a bit different than the last ones. The last ones were 'directional' tires. To rotate those I had to have them taken off the rims and rotated. Can these 'non-directional' tires need broken down or can they just be switched from side to side?

Eastex

Seasoned Expediter
It is time to rotate my steer tires. These are a bit different than the last ones. The last ones were 'directional' tires. To rotate those I had to have them taken off the rims and rotated. Can these 'non-directional' tires need broken down or can they just be switched from side to side?

So long as they are "non-directional" you should be able to switch them side to side with no problem. Many operators do this with steer tiires.

Monty

Expert Expediter
I always rotate mine front to rear

It seems to work, I also am coming up on a needed roataion, and I have 105,000 on these tires ... one more rotation and I will most likely purchase 4 new Firestone Transforce AT

I have had great service from them, and I anticipate and addition 20-30,000 miles on them.

I went to Grismer Tire, I was going to buy Michelin, (to replace the OEM tires which wore out at 65,000 miles). Grismer suggested these might suit my utilization better. I think they were right.

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
The "directional" factor does not matter after the first 25-50k miles. After that you can turn them on the rims without issue. Check mfg website to verify but we have done that for years.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
The "directional" factor does not matter after the first 25-50k miles. After that you can turn them on the rims without issue. Check mfg website to verify but we have done that for years.

Thanks, getting them done tomorrow.

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
I also really recommend running "equal" powder balance in them. We have had great success for years with the product.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I also really recommend running "equal" powder balance in them. We have had great success for years with the product.

I have 'Centrmatics' on them. I have them spin balanced when I first buy them.

I am rotating at 50K. Hope that is soon enough. Will rotate every 50k.

The truck goes in tomorrow for it's semi-annual DOT and to fix ANOTHER air leak. I am getting VERY tired of fixing these AMU doo hickeys. It is a constant problem. AT LEAST one ever 4-6 months.

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
The downside of centramatics is they really only deal with one direction of balance. The powder deals with the different directions of balance or force. You do have to be vigilant on making sure the air going into the tires is from a good source and dry.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
The downside of centramatics is they really only deal with one direction of balance. The powder deals with the different directions of balance or force. You do have to be vigilant on making sure the air going into the tires is from a good source and dry.

"Dry" air is a bit of a problem. My compressor at home is not all that 'fancy'. It is big enough, just barely, but that is about it. One of those "Kobalt" ones. Most truck stop air sources are kinda 'wet' most of the time too.

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
when i had my straight truck's always ran front and back same tires and easier to rotate