Staying Cool in this Heat

sabbatinog

New Recruit
Researching
Those of your driving van...how do you stay cool when not running? Any ac recommendations for use with inverter?

coalminer

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Well, all the russians driving around in rusty old rusty sprinters are still better off than if they were back in Siberia, above the arctic circle recorded a record temp over 100 degrees. Who would have ever thought they would see at temp that high in the arctic circle.

But seriously if you are driving a van, you need a generator and a roof mounted AC unit, no way to run that on batteries.

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Those of your driving van...how do you stay cool when not running? Any ac recommendations for use with inverter?

My solution was to stay out of the high heat areas

If I really need some A/C I will idle, which goes against everything I've ever said

I have a generator and A/C unit and have used neither the last 2 summers.

Between good widow heat shields and a fantastic fan, I've been plenty comfortable. But your also not going to find me in Laredo in the summer

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
My solution was to stay out of the high heat areas

If I really need some A/C I will idle, which goes against everything I've ever said

I have a generator and A/C unit and have used neither the last 2 summers.

Between good widow heat shields and a fantastic fan, I've been plenty comfortable. But your also not going to find me in Laredo in the summer

There is a special paint that is used on metal roofs that can reflect the heat of the sun. I wonder if anyone has ever tried this before?

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
A roof top mounted A/C unit used to cost about a thousand dollars (to purchase and to have it installed) and they put a plug in right on the side of the van, to plug the generator into it. Then you can look into a swing generator box for the back of the van. It is a safety issue. You will need to be well rested for loads, so you need cool sleep, or to rent a hotel room depending on where you go. Idling does not work as well, because the air does not blow out as cold as it does when you are driving unless you can bump the idle up like in semi. There was some thing my friend said you can take out of the AC, some regulator part and it would blow as cold sitting as it does when driving. Be something to look into.