State Mileage Tax Rate and Ad Valorem Tax Rate?

JohnO

Veteran Expediter
I'm missing something can some one explain how the state mileage tax rate and ad valorem is computed into the state fuel used tax rate and state credit rate? This is clear as mud to me.

Please keep it simple as I'm slow when it comes to numbers...lol

JohnO

Veteran Expediter
RE: State Mileage Tax Rate and Ad Valorem Tax Rate

Just got off the phone with OOIDA and here in my layman’s term is answer.

State Mileage Tax Rate

state mileage tax rate is an additional tax that is charged according to how many miles you have driven in that state. This is in addition to fuel tax charged per gallon of fuel. There is no credit given for this as it’s an additional tax.

Four states charge state mileage tax rate KY .0285, NM .0438, NY .0462 and OR .1316 is computed by multiplying the tax rate by the number of reported miles submitted on yearly IRP in that state.

Example: if you drive 500 miles in KY you’ll owe them $14.25 that is over an above the state fuel used tax rate.

Ad Valorem Tax

Ad Valorem Tax is an additional tax to fuel tax charged per gallon and state mileage tax rate. There is no credit given as it’s an additional tax.

Three states charge ad valorem tax AR .0048, KS .0102, TN .0076

Computation of the tax owed is beyond my humble understanding so leave to say that they will tax you depending on truck value % of total miles driven in a year in that state and the tax rate they set.

Glad I cleared that up for everyone…LOL

FAMILYEXPDT

Seasoned Expediter

State mileage tax rate is the rate that the states charge for mileage usage of their roads....they figure the rate, and add that into their tax for diesel fuel based on mpg formula. Ad valorem tax is then added on top oif that depending on what project they want to have done and what money is earmarked for.....ad valorem can be as low or as high as they deem it and is set by gals of fuel..example...create money for a toll road state passes an ad valorem tax of .20 a gallon on diesel fuel that is added at pump and then dispersed for that state for that purpose. Each state is different.

-charlotte

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

The ad valorem and other state specific taxes are a nuisance but don't affect the fuel purchasing system discussed in another thread. You are still best off if you compute the net cost of the fuel and purchase accordingly.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB, OOIDA Life Member 677319
Owner, Panther trucks 5508, 5509, 5641
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.