Starting wiht sprinters

kalvin overton

New Recruit
Researching
Can anyone give me the run down on how to go about becoming a expediter with sprinter vans? I am new to this industry. I would like the run down on how the process works. I would like to purchase sprinter vans and start into this business. I will not be operating these vans myself but finding drivers to do it for me. Would this be profitable? Thanks

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Can you think of any other business, that you know nothing about, where you can jump in and have other people running the business, and be profitable? Restaurant? Dry cleaner? DNA lab? Roofing construction? Retail superstores? Airplane manufacturing?

Why Sprinters and expediting? Is it because you think it's quick, cheap and easy money?

piper1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Do you have your own customers (shippers who pay you directly)?

If you are going to run competitive bid board freight like most of the world, and then split that with a driver or driver and carrier....well....there isn't much of that "profit" you speak of....like none.

Seriously...the expedite market is over saturated with vans.....

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Haven't you researched this site at all?
Either a troll or a case of too many dollars and not enough cents

Sent from my SM-N920V using EO Forums mobile app
It's less common now than it used to be, 10 or 15 years ago, but we still see it. People see all the trucks, and the vans, and think there must be good money in that. They know that vans are a lot cheaper than trucks, so they think, "I'll buy a lot of vans, put drivers in them, and sit back and watch the cash roll in."

They never consider having to find and vet a new driver every 3-6 months for every van they have, because in the end trying to split the revenue of a van between owner and driver doesn't pay enough for drivers to eat, or pay enough to do proper maintenance.

They never consider how often the driver frustration with sitting 4-6 days a week and running the odd load here and there that barely even nets them lunch money ends up with the driver simply abandoning the vehicle, usually 800 miles or more from the owner.

They never consider that since the driver has no nut in the van that they couldn't care less about taking care of the van as if it were their own.

They never consider that these above three considerations are just but three of a hundred they need to consider.

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Not too mention in addition, each Sprinter requires $2000-5000 of modifications to be able to run all seasons and enjoy a comfortable life on road which drivers need and want. Depends on how much cash you have, got 200k to risk then give it a shot and order up 4 Sprinters, might be better off in real estate or try your odds in Vegas. ;)

Reactions: brokcanadian

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Please, more new companies start up with Sprinters! That will mean less competition and more cheap used vans in 6 months!

Reactions: ntimevan

Dare

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
I am new here , seeking advice from veteran expediters. I have 26ft straight box truck, authority, and insurance. Looking for loads, broker or dispatch to work with. Thank you in advance.