Cargo Van Starting out with a Chevy Express diesel refrigerated van

oNdAnSONdE

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
OKay, I guess I am new to expediting but may be not. I have done this uShip thing running cross-country for over a year with my pick up. The money was good, but only because I worked 16 hour days for 2 weeks in a row, like a robot with no rest. I no longer want to be away from my wife and kids for that long.

So I bought this 2014 Chevy Express 1 ton van and it has a ref conversion. It's white, and has the Duramax. I am in SoCal area. Runs really well.
Can someone point me to how I can put this vehicle to work, so it brings value to the society and some cash flow for me. I could drive it myself in the beginning but later I would put a driver in it.

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I am going to Write a book ....
Expediting : Get Rich quick for Dummies ..
We could sell copies in the Newbies section ...
Of course Ovm would have to be the Narroator ...
All proceeds could be donated to a Childrens hospital ...

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
There's not a lot of cargo van refer expediting, but there is some. I'd try FedEx Custom Critical and Panther, see what they say.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
So I bought this 2014 Chevy Express 1 ton van and it has a ref conversion. It's white, and has the Duramax.
As you have noticed, in order to prevent spammers from joining up and immediately posting SPAM links, you won't be able to post any links (including pictures from links, like from googleusercontent.com and other places), until you've had several posts which do not contain any links (or certain phrases like ".com").

It's a nice looking van, though. :)

oNdAnSONdE

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
Turtle, I cannot even quote your message due to the same reasons. Cool, I did not know you would even see all my attempted messages. Please enable my account :)

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Turtle, I cannot even quote your message due to the same reasons.
Yeah, that is sometimes (but very rarely) a problem, when someone new joins up and quotes someone that has a link in it, but they aren't trying to post SPAM at all, they're just trying to engage in conversation. I usually catch those and can send them a PM to let them know exactly why they got that SPAM warning.

We recently had a guy....who like OntarioVanMan at times....was very period happy.......and would use copious amounts of periods to replace pretty much any and all punctuation marks in his paragraphs..... He had a runon sentence that contained <....running a load...I have found> and it's that "dot.ru" at the beginning of "running" that triggered the SPAM warning and rejected the post.

Those trip-ups are rare, though.

Cool, I did not know you would even see all my attempted messages.
Oh, yeah, the SPAM Trigger Logs are rather comprehensive. Each entry for a rejected message (including those rejected in a Private Conversation) shows all the details, including the entire rejected message. That not only lets me see if someone is indeed trying to post SPAM, or if they innocently got caught in the filters, but it also lets me know if any of the triggers need to be tweaked so as to not to be too aggressive in it's rejections. There have been several SPAM phrases and words that I've removed from the filters because we weren't seeing a problem with those by spammers, but too many innocent posts were getting caught because of those words.

Please enable my account :)
It's enabled, but you still need to post a few more non-spammy messages before your posts are no longer monitored for spammy thingies.

As a new user, members can post pictures and the pictures won't be considered as SPAM by the filters, but only if you choose the "Upload a File" button (bottom right of the Reply Box) to upload the file directly from your computer.

Reactions: TeamPaul

cranis

Expert Expediter
Driver
Best thing I can say is, If you are in So CAL, than why not run the coast, I am sure there is some produce..

fastman_1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Hmm says he bought a reefer Van then post a picture of a bus?? Trolls need to get educated on what a van is!

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

Reactions: Moot

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
If you have or are willing to invest in your MC# I would recommend looking for work with electronics, tech, medical equipment and pharmaceutical companies. They are more likely to be interested in refrigerated vans. Medical customers are usually willing to pay better and prefer regular carriers.

I have a regular local / regional shipper that manufacturers medical equipment they pay well.
Keep in mind, they will require significant cargo coverage's, at least $250,000.00 often 1 million for cargo.
Also, your ability to assure security and health & sanitation codes for the transporting vehicle, this limits what you can and cannot haul. This is in addition to 1 million in truck and 1 million in general business liability.

You might be required to sign a personal guarantee accepting irrevocable liability if you cannot obtain the insurance coverage, or your coverage won"t cover the loses, this will often "pierce the veil" of an L.L.C. putting you on the hook. Be sure to resolve these issues in YOUR contract.

Good luck and feel free to PM me if you have questions.

Bob Wolf.