Starting a New Expediting Business

tikidave54

Seasoned Expediter
I have access to a Dodge Sprinter Van, I have a Class A CDL..drove tractor trailer in the past. I'm thinking about expediting on my own. I live in the Buffalo NY area and plan to cover states east of the Mississippi. What permits/dot/authority do I need , if any to operate?
Thanks, Any info is appreciated.....:cool:

moose

Veteran Expediter
One of the things we observe here over & over again ,
is truckers getting into Expedite ,thinking it is going to be just about the same .
it's not .
Expedite is business first .
and it take experience to be good at .
here are few of the good advices given over here many times B4.
use the search button on top ,and look up words of interest for you . it dose not mean that you need to read every single post ,but spend at least a few weeks reading the archives .
lease your van to a carrier with good reputations ,and if you can dig out his turn over rate ,safety records ,Ext. most of the ones on this site are. talk to at least 3 O/O already leased to your perspective carrier .
do not dive in with your own authority , get some experience first using someone elses .
if you already have a sprinter , make it road (& lot)ready ,the low millage equell long sitting waiting for loads ,you will need to be comfortable in your rig .
have the needed cash reserve .
go to the store and buy Good Luck ,kind of harder to find lately ,but some over here have way to mach of it ,you will need it.
GO TO THE EXPEDITERS EXPO .

wwb6698

Expert Expediter
I have a question also, is it possible to put a sprinter on with a co like fed ex or panther and hire a driver so I dont have to drive it and make any money off that truck and still be able to pay the driver a decent wage? I know it depends on how many miles and how long you stay out but just wondering in general if this is a good idea? If so what co's are good to do this with?
thanks
Wally

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I have a question also, is it possible to put a sprinter on with a co like fed ex or panther and hire a driver so I dont have to drive it and make any money off that truck and still be able to pay the driver a decent wage? I know it depends on how many miles and how long you stay out but just wondering in general if this is a good idea? If so what co's are good to do this with?
thanks
Wally

I wouldn't recommend it. I wouldn't even consider adding a truck and driver until YOU actually know and understand the business. At that point, you will know who the right company is.
If you just have money to burn, I have a sailboat in Vegas I would like to sell you.

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
That might be better than some ocean front property in Arizona.

ebsprintin

Veteran Expediter
For a start. Try searching--"cargo van" authority. and "cargo van owner". Make sure to include the quotes, otherwise the search engine filters out three letter words.

eb

tikidave54

Seasoned Expediter
Any of these companies on the site just hiring drivers?:rolleyes:
been driving a Class B for almost 4 years, not making any $$$ in Buffalo doing local driving.....

Jefferson3000

Expert Expediter
Any of these companies on the site just hiring drivers?:rolleyes:
been driving a Class B for almost 4 years, not making any $$$ in Buffalo doing local driving.....

Most are non-asset based. Many have fleet owners that hire drivers for their vehicles. Check the Free Classifieds button at the top.

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
Is there really enough money to hire a driver in a cargo van,and be able to pay him or her for driving it,or do you just use it as a tax write off

aristotle

Veteran Expediter
Here's a question: would you rather make $80000 in a cargo van as an owner-operator or make $160000 in a tractor?

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
thanks
Wally

if you are going to live off the truck loads.......no.

try calling the advertisers on eo.

read the archives.

i guess you think any driver coming to you will just take the truck and treat it like you would? you expect a driver to be fair and honest?
a driver who does not want to go home because it is halloween?
a driver who calls the company to report his owner?

if you don't want to to drive the truck...just don't.

Jefferson3000

Expert Expediter
if you are going to live off the truck loads.......no.

try calling the advertisers on eo.

read the archives.

i guess you think any driver coming to you will just take the truck and treat it like you would? you expect a driver to be fair and honest?
a driver who does not want to go home because it is halloween?
a driver who calls the company to report his owner?

if you don't want to to drive the truck...just don't.

Ouch. You're startin' to sound like me. I'm gonna start callin' you "Jack the Ripper." Just teasin, actually. Very important questions to ask.

Vinnie T

Seasoned Expediter
Here's a question: would you rather make $80000 in a cargo van as an owner-operator or make $160000 in a tractor?

I have to agree

Better chances of making in in a semi, can hook up with some big carriers and get brokered loads. Landstarm offices, Panther bid board comes to mind as aome easy ones. Use DAT and Get loaded for backhauls, what the other one Vestage? never used it but heard its good if anyone can chime in. Much more flexibility with a semi. I wouldn't start your own gig till you get some customers lined up! Market some direct shippers in your area first.