Start a new job Tuesday. Concerns over Coronavirus

simplykelsi

New Recruit
Driver
Hello everyone. First Id like to say thatnks for all the great info you post here Between here and youtube, tit really helped me make up my mind about getting into expediting. However I am a little concerned about coronavirus like many of you. Im supposed to fly out Monday from Texas to Detroit to get the van and start orientation on Tuesday. The airline is willing to postpone the flight and the new job has an orientation every week so theres no concern there. However money is a little tight. I have enough to make it through next month if Im lucky. My question for you guys is should I wait and see or go ahead and start? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Worn Out Manager

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
Hello everyone. First Id like to say thatnks for all the great info you post here Between here and youtube, tit really helped me make up my mind about getting into expediting. However I am a little concerned about coronavirus like many of you. Im supposed to fly out Monday from Texas to Detroit to get the van and start orientation on Tuesday. The airline is willing to postpone the flight and the new job has an orientation every week so theres no concern there. However money is a little tight. I have enough to make it through next month if Im lucky. My question for you guys is should I wait and see or go ahead and start? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
No, this is definitely not the time to start. The shipments are few and farther between too. I assume you're describing Bolt? My biggest concern for you is you MUST have a little extra money in your pocket to start $1000+/- and if you are paying for gas $2500+/-.

Sent from my moto z3 using EO Forums mobile app

Reactions: Ragman and ntimevan

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
No, this is definitely not the time to start. The shipments are few and farther between too. I assume you're describing Bolt? My biggest concern for you is you MUST have a little extra money in your pocket to start $1000+/- and if you are paying for gas $2500+/-.

Sent from my moto z3 using EO Forums mobile app
And then it "Depends " what Owner he is Driving for also ...

sent from my Recliner..

simplykelsi

New Recruit
Driver
Thanks for the info. If I start next week than money is no issue, my savings will more than cover me. Im more concerned about the potential threat coronavirus may pose. Are you saying shipments are far and inbetween because of the virus or because of other factors? Thanks.

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
From what I've seen business has not slacked off yet. WOM there could be other factors at play on your end.

My main concern would be taking a flight on an airplane. I would defiantly not do that now.

I just got back home from being out for 5 weeks. I've mentioned the coronavirus hot spots I've been to recently. Good basic hygiene is what it's about! Even though I'm not sick I've had concerns about coming home. I spoke to my physicians office, the local hospital and I even called the CDC directly this morning. Everyone of them said, I'm ok .. until I'm not.

If you hit the road be diligent about washing your hands and such ...

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
If I were going to take a flight, I'd wear a N95 respirator while in the airport and on the plane.

Reactions: Grizzly

Noname

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
Another factor to consider....is going to work any more likely to expose you to coronavirus than doing whatever you will do if you don't go to work? It's all over the place. Air travel might be dicey; but if you stay where you are, you might get hanta virus. Airline personnel are using good hygiene routines...we all should....and they still fly. You aren't in the elderly or immunity-suppressed groups are you?

And one other semi-silly thought.....hanging around truck stops may build up an immune system that even China can't defeat.

Bottom line, if you need the money and you're going to go to orientation eventually, just do it now. Wait too long and rising oceans will flood all the highways.

Last edited:

JSH

New Recruit
Industry Supplier
I would not worry about flying right now. My wife and I came back from Costa Rica yesterday and the airports and flights are empty. On our flight from Houston to Portland there was one person per row / side of the plane so you had 3 seats to yourself. I fly for work at least 1 week a month and I have never seen the airports so empty. Just wipe down the contact services with alcohol and wash your hands a lot. Same thing you should do anytime you fly

This is Houston’s E terminal yesterday about 5 in the afternoon

0663DA2D-8CE6-4405-9D07-E14C317F8402.jpeg