sprinters egr valves

dawggone

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
we have a newer (less than 40,000 miles) freightliner sprinter and the egr valve is bad. Is this common? This particular problem cost us 5500 for air freight cost because it went down under load. Driver disconnected it to get it home. Is there a way that this can be prevented or is it a problem that we will have to deal with? Any input will be appreciated.

Thank you

Jim

raceman

Veteran Expediter
I do not own a Sprinter but I am at Freightliner a lot because I own a Freightliner and I have freinds there. Yes the EGR valve is a major problem on these units.

They are in that shop daily for EGR valves. Sorry just fact

Raceman
OTR O/O

Steady Eddie

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I use to sell Sprinters. Number 1 problem was the EGR Value. Chrysler had a re-call on 2003 and 2004 Sprinters to replace the EGR Value with a new type. The newer EGR is on the 2005 and newer units. Idle is the main problem that causes the EGR to soot up. I have a high idle fuction on mine and have no problems, (50,000 miles).

Some of the techs would clean the Value and allow a little more use out of them.

Steady

You're not dead, you're electroencephalographically challenged.

rball82

Expert Expediter
I have a 2004 Sprinter with 67000 miles on it. Days in shop, 134. Trips to shop, 36 and counting. EGR valves, I believe 8 including day I drove off the lot. Air compressors, 2. Turbo chargers, 3, two in the last 3 weeks. Belt drives, at least 8 times including 2 new pullie systems. I keep a new one in the vehical for when it goes out. Dodge district rep is worthless and dealer is somewhat caring. Problem with breaking down is you must get towed to nearest dealer for service. That can take as long as 2 days to get repaired. Dodge sent me a check for 2500 dollars but will not cash it so that legal action can be taken. I am in the process of a buy out now. Loss of revenue to date is aroun 28000 dollars. I will discourage anyone who is interested in these units.My drivers carry extra supplies for they know they will break down, including 4 times on Mount Eagle in Tenn.:( :( :( :(

Draco

Expert Expediter
>I use to sell Sprinters. Number 1 problem was the EGR Value.
>Chrysler had a re-call on 2003 and 2004 Sprinters to replace
>the EGR Value with a new type. The newer EGR is on the 2005
>and newer units. Idle is the main problem that causes the
>EGR to soot up. I have a high idle fuction on mine and have
>no problems, (50,000 miles).
>
>Some of the techs would clean the Value and allow a little
>more use out of them.
>
>
>
>Steady
>
>You're not dead, you're electroencephalographically
>challenged.

A recall on '03? Interesting since I have an '03 and haven't recieved any information on a recall. Sure would be nice to know where I can find out information on this.

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
go to dealer he should have the info to do the recall

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
When at the dealer, ask for a recall list as mentioned. Additionally, ask for all the service bulletins. They will have information on ongoing defects that may not have made a recall list.
This list will also include parts that may have been updated or changed.
We had problems with a truck four or five years ago only to find out they were putting the wrong (outdated) part on. The truck manufacturers engineering dept switched to a better part, ut only some dealers knew about it.

Hope this helps

Davekc