"sprinter"

copdsux

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
has anyone bought a sprinter yet? if so, how would you rate it as a
good/bad investment for an expediter? Also, if you do own one, who did you sign on with & how is the revenue, versus a "B" unit?

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I do not own one (yet) but recently tested one at Freightliner of Knoxville. It was really impressive, but is still considered in itself a "B" unit. The ones with the claimed 5000 lb. capacity are dually rear wheel units (not on the market yet) and pallets will not fit between their wheel wells. The 2.7 liter inline 5 diesel was very peppy and quiet (almost sounded like a gas motor) and the five speed automatic has a manual up-down shift feature that would be useful. But, it's still a van, although you can stand in the cargo area that's much larger in volume than a Ford/Chevy. I don't know how well the little Mercedes engine will hold up in the US market- somehow I don't think it will last as long as a Ford Powerstroke and I'll bet it will be expensive to repair out of warranty and nobody will touch it short of Sprinter dealers. But, the Sprinter was very comfortable and has made it's mark in Europe since 1995. The 2500 model I tested was priced at $34,500. For comparison, a Ford E350 with Powerstroke tricked out w/sleeper at Alumi-Bunk is $31,500.
-Weave-