Sprinter van questions

mc_philly83

Active Expediter
Researching
Hi I'm considering getting into expediting and read an article on how sprinter vans are the way to go as a solo driver. I'm just wondering what everyone has to say about this? Also being from around Detroit I'm wondering if I could get enough loads that I could make it home more often than typical expediting. Thanks everyone.

BIGTRAIN

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
The VAN segment of expediting is over saturated . Being that you live in and around the Detroit area makes your chances better . That said .....I drive a straight truck ....so I can't really comment any further.

in-Transit

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Again so many vans... other side I love sprinter my 2008 had over 3/4 million miles just bought a ford transit t350 love it.. check out the ram promaster , ford transit and the sprinter all have advantages and disadvantages . Pick one that suites you and can balance the work/comfort

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: ntimevan

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I'm wondering if I could get enough loads that I could make it home more often than typical expediting.
If you want to make it home more often than the typical expediter, you need to sign on with a carrier that will use you to run mostly local runs in Michigan and down into northern Ohio and Indiana. The carrier that I'm lease to (Load One) is one such carrier that has a handful of drivers who do nothing but local runs, as well as a few who do mostly cross-border runs into and out of Canada. I don't know for sure, but I don't think Load One is looking for any cargo vans for those positions, however. As others have alluded to, the cargo van market (including Sprinters and Sprinter-wannabes) is over saturated, including for exclusively locals runs.

A solo driver in a straight truck will make far more money than will a solo in a Sprinter, even with the HoS logging requirement, simply because there are too many vans, and vans mostly just sit sometimes for days waiting to get a load.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I'm wondering if I could get enough loads that I could make it home more often than typical expediting.
If you want to make it home more often than the typical expediter, you need to sign on with a carrier that will use you to run mostly local runs in Michigan and down into northern Ohio and Indiana.
That's sorta my neighborhood. I'll go out and back. Home every night.

Look for a same day delivery type company if that interests you.

Reactions: ntimevan and Turtle

mc_philly83

Active Expediter
Researching
Oh that's great advice. Thank you. I always preferred straight truck but I wasn't sure if the cost was worth it.