Sprinter Van Jobs - Owner Operators vs. Company Drivers

Drive2020

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
I’ve been looking at job listings for Sprinter Van drivers. I’ve noticed that there are a LOT of job listings for Owner Operators & just a couple for Company drivers. Seems like the courier companies prefer owner operators or is the assumption that a company drivers drive for a large companies. Say for instance, A company that consist of 2 individuals, (1 driver & 1 LLC owner) is that even considered a company driver? If there is only 1 driver could you still apply for Owner operator jobs?

Drive2020

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
Most carriers/couriers are non-asset based. Meaning they don't own vehicles. You really need your own equipment in this business.
Thanks for the insight. Yes I have my own van. Im hiring a driver. I just find loads, manage the LLC, ect. I guess I don’t really understand some of the expediting terminologies. Would we be considered owner operator?

Noname

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
IMO.....
Sounds like you will be a fleet owner, with a fleet consisting of one van. A company driver is usually an employee of a business. Most drivers in vans are independent contractors, so not considered employees or company drivers. If you drive your own van, you are an owner operator.

Drive2020

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
IMO.....
Sounds like you will be a fleet owner, with a fleet consisting of one van. A company driver is usually an employee of a business. Most drivers in vans are independent contractors, so not considered employees or company drivers. If you drive your own van, you are an owner operator.
Thank you!!!

Shotcallerj

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
I’ve been looking at job listings for Sprinter Van drivers. I’ve noticed that there are a LOT of job listings for Owner Operators & just a couple for Company drivers. Seems like the courier companies prefer owner operators or is the assumption that a company drivers drive for a large companies. Say for instance, A company that consist of 2 individuals, (1 driver & 1 LLC owner) is that even considered a company driver? If there is only 1 driver could you still apply for Owner operator jobs?
Being a fleet owner in the van business is quite a pain in the butt. Most fleet owners have a "revolving door policy". Meaning that they go through contracted drivers like firewood. The problems they run into, go anywhere from drivers not being able to do the job (drive at night, be in time, drive safe), to drivers not wanting to live on the road for a measly $500 or $600 a week that isn't consistent.

I started out as a contracted driver and had the goal of becoming a fleet owner. Until I seen what fleet owners dealt with. So I just kept it simple and became an owner operator.

Reactions: Drive2020