Sprinter van, info, help

NorthernBill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
My wife and I picked up a long tall 2011 this summer out side of Detroit. Had a blast driving it back to Seward AK.

Talked to one of the big carrier's about team,s that we could talk with, they told me to check with this web site. Got a big laugh out of that, anyway van team's or anyone that may like to coment on getting started we would aprecate any of your hard earned advice.

The van has a bulkhead 120 inch from the back doors. It was not set up for a team so we are making changes based on what we learned on our trip west. Bunk security is one of my concerns, thinking about a 4 point web system. Lot's of things to learn and deside on.

Have learned and had fun from this web sight for a while, hope to be on the road soon.

Thank's Bill

NorthernBill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The bulkhead is not one that can be moved very easy. Three 48 by 40 skids will fit, does that count.

The Enemy

Veteran Expediter
Bill, if you do a search on here you will find pictures of different van sleeper set ups. When we ran our 2006 long and tall Sprinter, we had a full size bed and still had 9 foot of cargo space. If we needed to haul the occasional 3 skid load the bed would fold up against the drivers side wall and the matress would go on the passenger side wall. We also had a small dresser between the drivers seat and the bed. We also had a 3 shelf system that ran from the back doors towards the sleeper 8 foot up. We kept our clothes in 2 Rubbermaid totes that fit under the bed when it was folded down or if the bed was up for the third skid, they would go in the 21" of space behind the seats. My wife and I teamed in that Sprinter for years and were comfortable.

If you secure your freight properly you will not need a bulkhead to give you that "security". A thin piece of metal held with 2 dozen screws or rivets will not keep a pallet from moving forward in an accident if not secured properly. We had 3 rows of E track on the floor that ran from the back doors to the back of the seats, that way there was nothing that couldnt or didnt get strapped down. Plus not having a bulkhead there will make your sleeper seem bigger when you are laying over waiting for a load.

As far as a company to sign on with to run team check out Tri State Expedited or Load1. I do know Load1 does have a rather lenghty wait list to sign on, but they are great folks to work with. We did good over at Tri State when we ran team. They now also have a special Sprinter rate that they rolled out earlyer this year and from what ive heard they have had great success with it.

If you have any questions about setting up your van or about starting up or running team in a sprinter you can PM me .

NorthernBill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The bulkhead is stout enough to secure bunk security. We are happy with the space we have. As far as maby haling hasmate not sure if it my be worth it. The bulkhead is stout and its a lever b right now.

The Enemy

Veteran Expediter
The bulkhead is stout enough to secure bunk security. We are happy with the space we have. As far as maby haling hasmate not sure if it my be worth it. The bulkhead is stout and its a lever b right now.

What do you mean by "level B" ? Also is the bulkhead just the factory one piece sheet metal or does it have extra metal reinforcing it. If you are happy with the space you have thats great.

I just noticed you are from AK. With you and your SO wanting to expedite in the lower 48, do you plan on moving to the lower 48 to make getting home easyer?

NorthernBill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Sorry ment to say lever b, as in it stays where it is. (The old saying lever a or lever b.) We are planing on saleing or renting our house. Going to look for the where we might want to buy later. Have a Road King with way to few miles on it. Not giving up on Alaska, but we are not midile age any more. The bulkhead was part of a install kind of like Midway would do. A person would almost have to drill holes in it to see whats there.

The Enemy

Veteran Expediter
Thats good that its a reinforced bulk head. If it was just the pressed sheetmetal one, i personally wouldnt trust it.

We hope to experience Alaska one day even if its for a 2week visit.

Jenny

Veteran Expediter
While bunk beds may be an idea, it may not be neccessarily functional for a team that is a couple, who would like to sleep together. I also think that would take away from the space for sittng in the bed and such, whether to watch tv and read a book.

As far as sleep set ups, as Theenemy said there are lots of ideas and photos on here. I think there is a whole thread of sleeper set ups somewhere.

Sent from my VS870 4G using Xparent Pink Tapatalk 2

NorthernBill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
We are going with a modifed futon type bunk arrangment, with heavy duty slide rail's for support. We will have some floor space and comfort while on the move. Found a source for a web type sleeper berth restrant system like the new freight liners use. We had to stop from about 60 mph on a two lane road in a hurry, that showed us how good the break's worked and how inportent haveing thing's secured is. Had a flashlight come flying between the seat's like a missile.

Thank's for the info so far, any other van teem's out there?