Sprinter Van Aux Battery

Ddotkreb

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have a 2020 Sprinter. I do not have an aux battery. I want to put one in the space provided under hood. I also want to connect it to main battery to charge it as I drive (cut off switch when stopped). I also want to hook up an inverter 2000w to aux battery to charge at same time for additional power. What kind of battery 12v 200Ah should I put UNDER HOOD that I can charge when it gets cold? Is that a good idea? It's kind of made for that. I'm worried about the cold Temps overnight. Should I disconnect the aux battery when starting out in the morning and wait until it warms up to start charging? Battery recommendations, and any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

ExperienceIsAwesome

New Recruit
Driver
Check on AGM with stands for Absorbant Glass Mat batteries they are getting popular or some brand of deep cycle like used for boats work well too for power while engines off.

danthewolf00

Veteran Expediter
You want 2 of the same kind of batteries so the alternator does not fry the second one.....unless you have solar panels mounted then you can charge a bigger battery bank without worrying about frying anything. 6 volt batteries wired up as a 12 volt will have a deeper draw and longer use.
I had 4 trojan 6 volt golf cart batteries with a total amp hour of close to 500 ah at 50%.
If you search on here for battery bank look for turtle's post on them.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I have a 2020 Sprinter. I do not have an aux battery. I want to put one in the space provided under hood. I also want to connect it to main battery to charge it as I drive (cut off switch when stopped). I also want to hook up an inverter 2000w to aux battery to charge at same time for additional power. What kind of battery 12v 200Ah should I put UNDER HOOD that I can charge when it gets cold? Is that a good idea? It's kind of made for that. I'm worried about the cold Temps overnight. Should I disconnect the aux battery when starting out in the morning and wait until it warms up to start charging? Battery recommendations, and any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thank you
Here's a good read on batteries....

Wish E/O had somebody this battery smart.