Sprinter teams

vandriver2

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Can any Sprinter drivers please let me know if driving as a team (husband/wife) provides adequate monthly income on the average to cover all basic living expenses, including a mortgage, one car payment, plus a new Sprinter Monthly payment? I know freight fluctuates. In general, do expedite companies assign loads to Team Sprinter Owner Operators differently than to Solo Sprinter drivers? We are considering Team driving in a newly purchased 2500 Extended, High Top Sprinter Cargo Van. This size van holds what, about 3+ pallets of freight correct (no greater than 5,000 lbs. Correct?) I have to put these questions out there to you all who have been in this business for a while before I make any kind of commitment. I know we could make ends meet and be together as we wish to by driving for an O/O in either a Straight Truck or a Big Truck, as we both have our Class A CDL. But our wish if the monthly income could be there would be to own our own Extended, High Top 2500 Sprinter Van and drive Team together.

jansiemoo

Seasoned Expediter
There are teams in sprinters and cv's on here that can surely make a living doing just that. However, your unique situation is not something anyone can answer, but they can guide you to find your own answers.
Use the search option to find threads on sprinter income, teams in sprinters, and info about carriers.
Good luck! :)

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
We would agree about the 2,500# max payload in a 2500 Sprinter. There are guys saying they have higher capacity tires or extra springs or spring blocks or whatever but it doesn't change what the DOT lets you carry by the door plate. We also see 2500 Sprinters on the load board with supposed 3,000+, even up to 3,500 capacity but those guys are running overloaded and just tearing up their equipment. All that said, depending on what company you are with, how hard you are willing to run, how much your payments are for your home, car, truck, etc. make a huge difference. But you are starting out right, by asking questions. It's a different lifestyle and different pressures . . . make sure you know as much as you can before jumping in. If you do get a Sprinter, always follow the lubricantion schedule with the proper lubricants!

golfournut

Veteran Expediter
Since you have a class A, you might want to consider a straight truck. The living accommodations are better and revenue is better.

With 2 of you in a sprinter plus gear for 2, you really decrease the amount of payload you can haul legally. The payload on a 2500 170" wb extended empty is 2872 lbs.
As been noted on here several times, while fudging on payload a little here and there is ok, doing it on a consistent basis reduces the longevity on the vehicle and ends up costing you more in repairs than it is worth.

Your best bet, hire a vet! Please.

Last edited:

vandriver2

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Thank you all for your replies. I, we, appreciate any and all comments and suggestions. I suppose I am hoping to hear back from a couple, under one roof who own/drive a Cargon Van or Sprinter as a Team and hear how they are making ends meet with all of their expenses...in general.
I have driven solo in a big truck, coming home about every 2-4 weeks for 2 days at a time. I have driven expeditor Straight Truck for an owner operator with a co-driver. We each were paid approx. 20% of the total paid miles. My co-driver and I in addition were able to save the owner of this straight truck $1,000.00 in left over fuel dollars. I don't have the expense of PM's, tires or for instance an Alternator dying and needing replacing. No overhead for me but I also don't receive the 60% and the excess fuel money I saved the truck owner. I realize I wouldn't be able to fit 9 pallets of freight in my newly purchased Extended, High Top, Sprinter Van...only 2 or 3...obviously less $ for the load. Less overhead hopefully on the care of a 2010 or 2011 new Sprinter Van for $35,000 as opposed to purchasing let's say a 2005 Freightliner Box Truck with 490,000 miles for the same price...(and no where to park a ST at our home butbcan park a Sprinter). I'm trying to list the pros and cons along with the grey areas. Owning v.s. driving for someone else... More $ in an owners pocket from the load than a driver of someone elses vehicle. No maintenance costs and other Fees if you don't own it. Also, you can't take time off or be home whenever you want if you don't own your own. No more having to do LOGS, go through the Scales or be subjected to ODOT Inspections with a Sprinter. I just don't know which way to go and if we could make it or not financially owning our own Sprinter Van, and depending on it for our only income. We love driving, are hard workers....know we need to roll those tires constantly to make money...know there are slower times and may sit on weekends out there. Know how WAY MUCH EASIER it is to maneuver a Sprinter or even a Box Truck is versus a Big Truck!!! We don't smoke, don't drink, no getting hair done, nails or tanning like some folks do... and are very frugal and careful with all spending...and have zero credit card debt. We have a House payment and one car payment, occ/acc, automobile and health insurance, food, etc.. If we buy a Sprinter Van, will we make enough to cover it and all else.....that is my dilemma.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Asking if you can cover mortgage and car can vary widely, one person can have 3,000 in those expenses and another person 1,000. It would be much easier if you were to add up your total monthly expenses at home and post that. People would be able to give you a better answer. Also what if you experienced something like the link below, would you be prepared?

tjp's trials

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
What you are asking, no one can answer...we don't know how mucvh you pay for your house payment or your car payment, just for starters...

Have you done a business plan that includes how much you need to bring in on a monthly basis?? Do you know what you need per mile to be profitable??

Your ability to run as a team, stay out for the longer periods of time and you having a good grip on expenses as to being frugal all work to your advantage. Yes there is good money to be made
out here and as was pointed out, the company you lease to is also a very big part of the equation...some companies, a team doesn't do any better then a solo...

Continue doing research, ask questions and make the best decision you can based on the info you get, and your needs...

ebsprintin

Veteran Expediter
I'm not a fan of trying to cover any kind of debt with a cargo van/sprinter income. Why not sell the car? You won't be driving it much. Last year I had $12,000 in repairs on my sprinter (this does not include routine service). Could you handle a streak like that? Cargo vans and sprinters leave very little wiggle room, except when Murphy comes knocking and then they open the door wide open.

eb

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
I'm not a fan of trying to cover any kind of debt with a cargo van/sprinter income. Why not sell the car? You won't be driving it much. Last year I had $12,000 in repairs on my sprinter (this does not include routine service). Could you handle a streak like that? Cargo vans and sprinters leave very little wiggle room, except when Murphy comes knocking and then they open the door wide open.

eb

That's the best answer out of all of them. I can only ad be debt free and forget having car payments. Doesn't make sense paying on something you don't use.:cool:

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I sold my car when I switched to the van. It sat way too much to make sense keeping it even though it got way better mileage. That car payment would be the first thing I'd look at seriously.

Go to OOIDA.com and download their spreadsheet. It will let you experiment with numbers to see if it looks feasible. Estimate revenue low and expenses high and if you think you can make it with those numbers you should be ok with real world numbers.

Good luck.

vandriver2

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
hey ebsprintin....thanks for writing....may i inquire as to the age & mileage of your Sprinter Van and what was the problem with it that caused a $12,000 bill?

kubusio

Active Expediter
Thats quite alot of money for maintaining a sprinter. 12k would of installed a low mile motor and tranny. Anyhow, here is my input.
We own a 2500 extended. It has a custom bed that folds. With the bed unfolded you will fit 3 skits and with it folded the van will fit 4. As for the weight, I agree that the no car should be overloaded if it is not set up to be. I have installed and air ride suspension on mine and had a 5k load on it from IL to CA with no issues what so ever. We have been called many times to come pick up 4k loads that other sprinters could not handle. You might want to look into a 3500 and build up the floor so there wont be an issue with the skids fitting between the wheel wells. I would also recomend an air suspension.
There is money to be made in a Sprinter. The major issue is that you are limited to 4 skids and 5k LBS. This means you might sit without a load for a day or two on a truck stop or a walmart parking lot. As for the quality of the Van I dont think anything outhere touches it. Loaded it gets 18mgs and empty it will do up to 25. Comfortable, no driver logs and you get to pass up most of the weight stations.
Can you support a normal living? yes.
If you are driving more for hobby than income get a sprinter 200percent.
If you are driving cause you need to make so much per week. Get a truck. There is more loads out there for straight trucks.
Hope this helps, Good Luck.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Thats quite alot of money for maintaining a sprinter. 12k would of installed a low mile motor and tranny. Anyhow, here is my input.
We own a 2500 extended. It has a custom bed that folds. With the bed unfolded you will fit 3 skits and with it folded the van will fit 4. As for the weight, I agree that the no car should be overloaded if it is not set up to be. I have installed and air ride suspension on mine and had a 5k load on it from IL to CA with no issues what so ever. We have been called many times to come pick up 4k loads that other sprinters could not handle. You might want to look into a 3500 and build up the floor so there wont be an issue with the skids fitting between the wheel wells. I would also recomend an air suspension.
There is money to be made in a Sprinter. The major issue is that you are limited to 4 skids and 5k LBS. This means you might sit without a load for a day or two on a truck stop or a walmart parking lot. As for the quality of the Van I dont think anything outhere touches it. Loaded it gets 18mgs and empty it will do up to 25. Comfortable, no driver logs and you get to pass up most of the weight stations.
If you are driving cause you need to make so much per week. Get a truck. There is more loads out there for straight trucks.

Guess you have never seen pictures of a sprinter being collapsed in the middle from being over loaded to often. I had a mechanic show me one and it wasn't pretty. Putting that much weight on a sprinter is not a good long term plan.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator

we are a glorified cargo van...NOT a reduced straight truck...
in a 2500? you put 5K in a 2500?

bobwg

Expert Expediter

sounds like you would be overweight if you ever got stopped by the famous DOT

kubusio

Active Expediter
The truck is over weight with 5k of load. Make sure your plates cover the load or youll be paying big bucks.
Like I said the sprinter has a modified suspension that allows it to handle 5k lbs of load. Is it the right thing to do? NO. Do we do it all the time? NO. But will pick up a load if its available.
Its like like loading up a 1/2 ton pick up truck with a palet of 80lbs cement bags. Can it handle it? Maybe untill you hit the 1st bump. Modify the suspension and it will haul that all day long.
How many pounds do you think cargo vans and spriters haul when used by contractors? Im pretty sure they dont sit there and debate if they can load another 2x4 because they will be over weight. The question isnt if you can have the thing handle the load. The main concern is. Can you stop it...

bobwg

Expert Expediter
The truck is over weight with 5k of load. Make sure your plates cover the load or youll be paying big bucks.
Like I said the sprinter has a modified suspension that allows it to handle 5k lbs of load. Is it the right thing to do? NO. Do we do it all the time? NO. But will pick up a load if its available.
Its like like loading up a 1/2 ton pick up truck with a palet of 80lbs cement bags. Can it handle it? Maybe untill you hit the 1st bump. Modify the suspension and it will haul that all day long.
How many pounds do you think cargo vans and spriters haul when used by contractors? Im pretty sure they dont sit there and debate if they can load another 2x4 because they will be over weight. The question isnt if you can have the thing handle the load. The main concern is. Can you stop it...

I am confused you say it can handle 5k with the modifications to suspension then you seem to say it can not handle the weight all the time and you say you wont do it all the time, so if you get offered a number of 5k loads in a short time you would turn down some of those loads??? it only takes 1 time over load to screw up things like say a transmission. I can see a few hundred pounds but 2,000 lbs over weight??? asking for problems, and then you mention about stopping it with the weight so now your over loaded and unsafe ah but your choice and your money if something goes wrong dont call me for any money and hope I m not anywhere around you when your overloaded and you need to stop and cannt

kubusio

Active Expediter
I am confused you say it can handle 5k with the modifications to suspension then you seem to say it can not handle the weight all the time and you say you wont do it all the time, so if you get offered a number of 5k loads in a short time you would turn down some of those loads??? it only takes 1 time over load to screw up things like say a transmission. I can see a few hundred pounds but 2,000 lbs over weight??? asking for problems, and then you mention about stopping it with the weight so now your over loaded and unsafe ah but your choice and your money if something goes wrong dont call me for any money and hope I m not anywhere around you when your overloaded and you need to stop and cannt

And it only takes one time to mis-shift a manual and mess that up. Its all about using your common sense.
Its only overweight because the sticker on the door sais it can handle so many lbs. Every car, truck, boat is underrated. My wave runner is rated at 338 Lbs. Thats me and fuel. Why did they make it a 2 seater?
I will only pick up a 5k load if it pays well. minimum of $1.50 per mile. anything under I wont touch and stick to smaller loads. Yes It will stress the drivetrain a bit more but not as much as pulling a trailer half the weight.
Thats why I said before that I would get a 3500 and modify the suspension on that.

Last edited:

CharlesD

Expert Expediter
A 5000 lb load going for $1.50 is waaaaayyyyy too cheap. That's a straight truck load in my book.