Sprinter service and maintenance

Scirocco

Rookie Expediter
I'm trying to gather and correlate estimated and expected costs of Sprinter ownership, specifically for the expediting industry. This info could be used by noobs (like myself) or vets for calculating how much to set aside for service/repairs, and as a guide to do what and when. If such a guide or info exists, please provide links. :)

If the Sprinter expediters out there would provide their data, it would be a great help and highly appreciated. I'll try to correlate it all into one reference point like a spreadsheet or timeline and post it here.

Data requested would be:

Service: what you do, at what mileage, and average cost. i.e. every 10k oil/filter, $80. or tires every 90k averaging $1100. Pee (DEF) every 1500 @ $29, etc

Repairs: same, i.e. Turbo @ 220k, $5k, transmission @ 410k, $2k

Reference: Good mechanics and service centers, and bad ones to avoid. People to call/email for questions. Warranty or prepaid maintenance information, etc

Misc: Anything else you've experienced that would benefit a Sprinter O/O. i.e. be on the lookout for a thin amber shellac coating over the #1 injector, indicating the Black Death, or going into limp mode, check vacuum seal at MAF.

The more information provided, the better a Sprinter O/O can schedule for service, know where to go, the cost, and anticipate for repairs. Any contributions to this project are greatly appreciated!

Respectfully,
Geoff

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Fuel filter 20k miles $300+ (dealership) 175-200 reg. mechanic.
Air and cabin filter 20k miles about $40.
Tranny service 60k miles around $450 if I remember correctly (dealership).

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I could be completely mistaken since I've eaten and slept since then but I believe there's a thread somewhere by ebsprintin or one of the Sprinter guys with very detailed maintenance costs and details. There's also an excellent one on gasoline vans by Moot. Hopefully someone will be along soon that can point it out. Good luck with your research.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
check out Euro-parts .com and rock auto. com for parts for your PM...

change out pulley system once a year! 2 pulleys plus tensioner and a belt...they sell a kit....if that belt snaps it could cost you little or about 5,000 in damages...

Scirocco

Rookie Expediter
LDB, I spent the last hour trying to find the post that referred what you have stated here, but couldn't find it. Suffice it to say that I went to the 4wheeling blog of eb, went back many pages and didn't find what was referred to for Sprinter service. I did find his "Tin Can" posts.

That said, I've found a LOT of great information, in this forum and the blogs! Many sage expediters on here (T270, eb, Turtle, OVM, Moot, you, to name a few) with great advice, I've learned so much!

But what I'm trying to do is get (as complete as I can) a schedule of service with costs, that is easy to follow and budget for. Obviously prices vary and change, and some might experience certain repairs, while others do not. This is why I want to create two sections, one for service (do this or that and when, or you'll likely be sorry) and another for repair averages. I've found good posts of service recommendations, I'll try to relocate them again and try to correlate them into one location.

OVM: I read your post on your experience with the serpentine belt, part of the reason I'm trying to create this. :)

Last edited:

Scirocco

Rookie Expediter
Just got 700 miles to a tank 2 weeks ago in my 06 Sprinter coming from Reno NV into LA, took the 101 out of Monterey all the way down. Cruise control is amazing on these rigs. Do your maintenance and your good to go, don't and end up in the shop. Alternator, Serp belt tensioner, auto trans fluid, all filters, harmonic balancers, turbo resonators, synthetic oil changes every 12-14k etc.

the difference good planning makes for Sprinter service.

1 Transmission service with filter..... 8 QTs at 6.00 = $48.00 for fluid ---dealer price 8 qts at $20.00...28.00 for gasket and filter $40.00 labout
2. installed used complete exhaust system....found a used one for 150 bucks as verses almost 2,000 at a dealer
3. 2 new hanger bearings for drive shaft....old ones weren't broken but they were originals....pre emeptive strike....
4. New and replace blower motor speed controller...
5. 2 new glow plugs replaced and installed....
Note: a tranny service at a dealer is usually between $300-$400 depending on dealer....
Total cost of all this work.....Less then $500.00

02-06 Sprinter Parts prices

Oil change $49 + $5 for filter DIY total cost $54 w/ Mobil 1 synthetic
Brakes $100 dollars a axle pads and new rotors.
Suspension front and rear $300
Air filter $15
Fuel filter $25
Cabin filter $15
harmonic balancer $250
glow plugs $75 qty 5
Transmission filter/gasket $15
Transmission fluid $45-75 depending on brand used.
Tires $500 installed for Kumho Road Venture.

All good examples of what I'm looking for, guess I'll have to scour the forum and try to consolidate and correlate it for my anal retentive needs. :) Sad thing is I can't seem to find some of the other posts I had read earlier, too many tabs and threads open, I get lost sometimes. lol

I think my best bet will be creating a spreadsheet, so I can have tabs for service, repairs, and reference. I think "misc" can be handled by a forum search. Then later said spreadsheet can be used for logging runs and costs. A one stop shop, maybe even get someone to make it into an app?

Last edited:

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Fuel filter 20k miles $300+ (dealership) 175-200 reg. mechanic.
Air and cabin filter 20k miles about $40.
Tranny service 60k miles around $450 if I remember correctly (dealership).

Those are all high compared to the two dealers I use

Scirocco

Rookie Expediter
T270's experience with a dead sprinter would be a good example of "Misc", it could read: If your Sprinter is unwilling to leave park, AND you recently had a forklift knock off the rear metal cargo trim piece off, AND you used long screws to secure it, you MIGHT have a short in your wiring harness. IF there are no ANDs, then follow Turtle's advice here:

First thing to do is stick a pen, pencil, or a screwdriver down in that spot below the -D+ on the shifter to get it out of PARK. Then you can drive it to wherever it needs to go.

It's almost certainly a brake light bulb burned out or a faulty brake light switch, or a blown fuse (#5 usually) under the steering column. It's a fairly common problem.

A faulty ABS sensor or some other brake failure can also cause it, tho.

The brake switch might just need to be "reset."
Here's the switch, circled in red:

attachment.php

Lying on the floor looking up into the underdash area where the brake parts are located you will first see the brake pedal then connected several inches higher, the rod going to the master cylinder then just above that by a couple of inches the brake pedal pivot/mounting point - just above that is the end of the pedal lever - you will find the brake switch that touches the end of the pedal to activate the brake lights and deactivate the cruise control. It is a small white plastic square with a "plunger" coming out of it to touch the end of the brake lever. With the engine running, press the brake pedal down as far as it will go and grab the "plunger" and pull it toward the end of the brake. It will come out from the switch and make a sound like very fine comb teeth being brushed across a piece of hard plastic. That is self adjusting teeth in the plunger that obviously did not self adjust.

;)

Last edited: