Sprinter Repair Costs

Big Al

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Would like to know if a person buys a used Sprinter what's the worst case scenario repairs? I've heard transmission approx. $5,000. Front end $2,000, expensive radiator,etc.
I want to know what I am against if I purchase used with real cases? Please let it be for newer Sprinter's 2007 & newer.

Thanks,

Big Al :)

Branson Missouri

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Engine replacement or rebuild.

Just because it has a light on the dash screaming "CHANGE MY OIL", it may not happen.

The engine is very good if someone works on it who has an idea that it is not an American engine. Just a sidebar - this has been a complaint with many German engines since they been hitting the shores in 1898.

I would go through the same steps as buying a truck (OA, ECM check, ETC..) with an exception to make sure that there are maintenance records and be prepared to walk away if you don't get the records. Also go to a dealer who will look up the vin.

Big Al

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Engine replacement or rebuild.

Just because it has a light on the dash screaming "CHANGE MY OIL", it may not happen.

The engine is very good if someone works on it who has an idea that it is not an American engine. Just a sidebar - this has been a complaint with many German engines since they been hitting the shores in 1898.

I would go through the same steps as buying a truck (OA, ECM check, ETC..) with an exception to make sure that there are maintenance records and be prepared to walk away if you don't get the records. Also go to a dealer who will look up the vin.
Thanks for the input.
I was looking at a price for engine rebuild. Also could you enlighten me on your acronyms, I want to make sure I understand.
I have heard some horror stories about replacement costs for trans., radiator,brake controls,etc. I paid almost $3,000 for a transmission replacement on my E350 Powerstroke but that was about 7 years ago.

guido4475

Not a Member
Thanks for the input.
I was looking at a price for engine rebuild. Also could you enlighten me on your acronyms, I want to make sure I understand.
I have heard some horror stories about replacement costs for trans., radiator,brake controls,etc. I paid almost $3,000 for a transmission replacement on my E350 Powerstroke but that was about 7 years ago.

$3,000 ??? Wow.I was talking to a freind in Florida and he can get me a remanufactured Trans for my 03 Ford Powerstroke with a year warranty, unlimited mileage, for $900.00,shipping not included.All it is is a beefed up C-6,which was bulletproof to begin with.

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
oil change the last one i had on 2/6/10 was 427.00
what cost most is oil for it at 14.00 a qt and that was at a discounted price

and anything mb on is always more, get your wallet out
every so often you other things that have to be done
egr cooling flush is about 500.00
changing rear out oil is 45.00 a qt
transmission flush out is about 500.00

piper1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Geo, you are getting hosed. The MB229.51 oil was available last month at Napa for $5.19 a quart (Valvoline Synpower MST 5W40) and goes on sale a few times a year, and you can buy the oil filters for under $10 at a lot of places. The transmission oil is $7 a quart for the 236.14 new oil (from Mercedes) or you can run Valvoline Maxxlife Merc/Dex (red jug) it meets the 236.10 standard which was what your Sprinter came filled with from the factory. The transmission filter and gasket are less than $25. There are quite a few rear end oils available that are well below $20 a quart let alone $45. And all of these examples are for the proper stuff!!

You can also buy a ton of Sprinter parts from Ryder Fleet online and the prices are quite good for supplies (they have all the supplies for a complete brake job for example).

Look around...the aftermarket has started to supply a lot of things for the Sprinter and there are also online sources for genuine MB parts that are cheap too!

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Sprinter repair costs can be significant, particularly when compared repair-for-repair, side-by-side with Fords or Chevy, but that's short-sighted and doesn't take the big picture into account, namely, Total Cost of Ownership. People look at the cost of a tranmission, while completely dismissing the money saved on fuel economy, for example, and think Sprinters cost more than Fords to operate. They don't, at least not for most Sprinter owners. You hear horror stories because non-horror stories don't get your attention, but horror stories do. I've heard horror stories for every vehicle out there.

Having said that, if you let a Sprinter dealer do all of your maintenance, you're gonna get hosed big time, like a $427 oil change (which (probably) also includes regular "maintenance" things that get done as part of the regular maintenance schedule). Buy oil and filters, including air, cabin and fuel filters, online and do that yourself. Changing the oil in a Sprinter is so easy a caveman (or an 8 year old girl) can do it, especially if you replace the drain plug with a Fumoto Oil Valve. I've ordered brakes and rotors and many other parts much cheaper online than paying MSRP (often marked up more than that) at a dealer. Some dealers are clearly untra-proud of their work, like Dallas Dodge who wanted to charge me $850 to replace a belt tensioner. Others will do the job for half that. If you buy the parts online you can get it done for half that again.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
So should we now add TCO to our language? ;)

Turtle, the fumoto valve works out well for the sprinter?

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
Sprinter repair costs can be significant, particularly when compared repair-for-repair, side-by-side with Fords or Chevy, but that's short-sighted and doesn't take the big picture into account, namely, Total Cost of Ownership. People look at the cost of a transmission, while completely dismissing the money saved on fuel economy, for example, and think Sprinters cost more than Fords to operate. They don't, at least not for most Sprinter owners. You hear horror stories because non-horror stories don't get your attention, but horror stories do. I've heard horror stories for every vehicle out there.

Having said that, if you let a Sprinter dealer do all of your maintenance, you're gonna get hosed big time, like a $427 oil change (which (probably) also includes regular "maintenance" things that get done as part of the regular maintenance schedule). Buy oil and filters, including air, cabin and fuel filters, online and do that yourself. Changing the oil in a Sprinter is so easy a caveman (or an 8 year old girl) can do it, especially if you replace the drain plug with a Fumoto Oil Valve. I've ordered brakes and rotors and many other parts much cheaper online than paying MSRP (often marked up more than that) at a dealer. Some dealers are clearly untra-proud of their work, like Dallas Dodge who wanted to charge me $850 to replace a belt tension er. Others will do the job for half that. If you buy the parts online you can get it done for half that again.

Sounds good what u wrote, but some of us cannot due to health reasons or say light disability reasons cant climb under the vehicle to do what we use to do. My health is good, so I can learn, but I cant afford a Sprinter, but I have made choices that weren't so good, imagine that,,i made a mistake,lol, but I sure like Sprinters, I would if I could.........:D

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
ya still have to get under and open the valve and put a jug under...

and whats the purpose? you guys are always at home anyways you are never caught between changes...80 bucks is a lot of high livin there bucko...

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I have a 2.5 gallon gas can, one with that gooseneck spout. I sit the can under the front of the van and the open end of the spout fits perfectly over the Fumoto valve's nipple (hehe hehe, he said nipple). I open the valve and the oil drains into the gas can, no runs, no drips, no errors. With the Fumoto valve there is zero chance of my stripping the drain plug threads while changing the oil in the parking lot of a Flying J.

I do have to get down on the ground, laying on my side, to get the can under the van and the spout over the valve opening, and to open the valve (simple quarter-turn of the valve), but there is no crawling under the van to do it.

I can crawl under the van if I have to, but if I crawl under there, lay on my back and take a deep breath, the van will rise up two or thee inches. :D

The Enemy

Veteran Expediter
We also have the Fumoto valve. Have had it for over 2 years and wouldn't go back. I use a kitty litter jug to drain the oil in. I use a hose, which I put on the nipple and then into the jug, easy no mess. I have changed the oil in truck stop lots, but the back of wally world lots are the easyest cause you can take the oil to their oil change shop and they will recycle it for you.

As far as the other parts, I order all my stuff from online places like europarts or sprinterfilters. Can get just about anything for a fraction of the price over the dealers. Hell I changed a belt, tensioner and an idler pulley in a hotel parking lot with minimal tools. The Sprinter is not hard to work on. There are plenty of online write ups on how to do different repairs and change parts, all you have to do is search for them.

guido4475

Not a Member
Any one have a link for this Fomoto valve? I may put one on my slopbucket.Does it restrict the flow of oil coming out of the pan? I had something similar on my one truck, and it took forever for the 48 qts to drain compared to the pull the plug method.

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
Any one have a link for this Fomoto valve? I may put one on my slopbucket.Does it restrict the flow of oil coming out of the pan? I had something similar on my one truck, and it took forever for the 48 qts to drain compared to the pull the plug method.

Darn, 48 quarts, what did you drive? the biggest truck on earth?:eek: