Sprinter Radio Code...Doesn't Work

LisaLouHoo

Expert Expediter
Let's say someone buys a used Sprinter and the battery has to be replaced. For some reason Daimler thinks rinky-dink radios are all the rage and requires a security code be entered to use the radio again after power source disconnection. Of course, the used Sprinter came with no radio code; consulting the internet, the code is found but doesn't work. A not so quick call to Daimler-Chrysler yields the same non-working code.

It appears this may not be the original radio.

Now what? Anyone have experience with this?

Sent from my ADR6300 using EO Forums

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Frankly, I'd just replace the radio. It'll be quicker and easier.

But, what year Sprinter, and what's the last 8 of the VIN?

cableguymn

Seasoned Expediter
If it is a used radio many salvage yards write the code on the radio. Pull it out and check. If its not there toss it out and buy an aftermarket unit.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

LisaLouHoo

Expert Expediter
Well, since you have nothing to do......

Radio Codes - lost - Sprinter-Forum

It is over 900 pages, hence-nothing to do....

May help may not. Tell Jeff that after he has the codes in to hold down the Volume up button until it beeps.

Yep, first place I tried. Had the last 8 of the VIN, and it was on page 903, LOL (this is what I was trying to accomplish on I-96 just an hour before the tree incident). Rather than "beep" when I entered the code and held the button, it just went back to " CODE *****". Of course, I second and triple guessed my skill then I got the "WAIT". He called D-C customer service, got the same code.

He has since been told by D-C to take it to a dealer, have the radio pulled, have them get the radio's serial number off the back, then they can get the code. Given the labor rate per hour of dealership service, I do believe a new radio will be cheaper.

Thanks, everyone.

Steady Eddie

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Yep, would be cheaper. I do carry the tools needed to pull the radio, so maybe we can if we run into each other soon. They are not that great of a radio anyways.

cableguymn

Seasoned Expediter
I'm in Minneapolis and have the tools too. If you get up this way and have not got it out yet. I would bet just about any install shop could pull it for you.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
You can do that. If you don't have them, go to Autozone or Walmart Best Buy and get a $5 pair of those radio puller thingies. The ones you want look like these:

volkswagen-radio-removal-tool.jpg

Report the radio's serial number here. Or call a dealer's Service Desk and give it
to them.

In the meantime, you could have already replaced the radio. :D

LisaLouHoo

Expert Expediter
I'm in Minneapolis and have the tools too. If you get up this way and have not got it out yet. I would bet just about any install shop could pull it for you.

Sent you a PM, as Jeff is in Brooklyn Park right now. Thanks!

Turtle, your idea STILL isn't off the table. All I know is he is out there by himself and needs some background noise now that I'm not yammering in the background. Funny what one finds comforting.

Last edited:

cableguymn

Seasoned Expediter
Sent you a PM, as Jeff is in Brooklyn Park right now. Thanks!

Turtle, your idea STILL isn't off the table. All I know is he is out there by himself and needs some background noise now that I'm not yammering in the background. Funny what one finds comforting.

I can hook him up tomorrow. I am sure we could even get a replacement wired up and installed if he does not care to try and unlock the one in it.

I checked my stash of spare radios.. I am fresh out. but they cost 50-100 for am/fm/cd..

Jenny

Veteran Expediter
Lisa we have the radio keys in our door. Next time you see us we can help

Sent from my VS910 4G using Xparent Pink Tapatalk

LisaLouHoo

Expert Expediter
Get an xm .. better signal, and more diverse

I had a six month free trial of XM when I bought my truck 2 years ago. Didn't want to even try it. Not gonna go there. Then one fine day about 3 months later I tried it...

Now I have a paid subscription that expires in 2015.

I have to say it's great not having your station fade out.

LisaLouHoo

Expert Expediter
I can hook him up tomorrow. I am sure we could even get a replacement wired up and installed if he does not care to try and unlock the one in it.

I checked my stash of spare radios.. I am fresh out. but they cost 50-100 for am/fm/cd..

Thank you, cableguymn...now with that radio serial number, he is going to call Daimler customer service to get the code. Now he can have some background noise on the road when I'm not there!

cableguymn

Seasoned Expediter
Thank you, cableguymn...now with that radio serial number, he is going to call Daimler customer service to get the code. Now he can have some background noise on the road when I'm not there!

your welcome.. I forgot just how "why would you even want to take me" the radios in the sprinters looked..

If you can't get a code, all he needs is a couple of adapters and any 50 dollar radio from walmart will work in there.

I am still amazed that of all the miles of roadway out there, he found himself less than 10 miles from my house on a weekend.

LisaLouHoo

Expert Expediter
your welcome.. I forgot just how "why would you even want to take me" the radios in the sprinters looked..

If you can't get a code, all he needs is a couple of adapters and any 50 dollar radio from walmart will work in there.

I am still amazed that of all the miles of roadway out there, he found himself less than 10 miles from my house on a weekend.

And count your blessings I stayed home this time, lol.