Sprinter payload?

ross

Seasoned Expediter
I bought a 04 Sprinter 158" 2500 and just wanted to know what kind of loads are safe for the Sprinter. If i remember correctly my payload is listed as 3011LB but I've heard folks take up to 4000LB, so I'd imagine somewhere around 3500LB is still safe, right?

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Here is how you really need to find the answer.

Get the van loaded with your stuff that you take on the road, with all the equipment and if you have someone else with you - bring them along.

Go to the nearest place that has a good scale, like a cat scale and fill the van up with fuel then get it weighed. Once you get the wieght ticket, then look at the sticker on your door subtract your weight from the door sticker.

This will give you a very accurate idea of how much you can carry.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
If I remember correctly the 2500 has a gvw of 8500 pounds. The safe load capacity is 8500 minus travelling weight. Greg correctly pointed out that's all fuel, clothes, people, stuff, junk and miscellaneous that's going to be in it while hauling freight. Scale it that way and do the arithmetic. If you are correct about the 3011 that would be minus your weight, anybody else's weight, fuel, clothes, stuff, junk and miscellaneous so you probably are looking at a safe load of no more than 2500 pounds. Anything above the 3011 or whatever number the factory gives would be unsafe regardless and even that isn't safe unless you and all your gear are weightless.

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
If you are correct about the 3011 that would be minus your weight, anybody else's weight, fuel, clothes, stuff, junk and miscellaneous so you probably are looking at a safe load of no more than 2500 pounds.

Not quite accurate - payload capacities are on 2006 and earlier Sprinters included factoring in the weight of a full fuel tank and a "average-sized" person. As Leo says you have to include all your other junk though.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
That's good to know. I presumed they'd be like most vehicles and not include occupants and maybe fuel. I guess you'd scale it with about a half tank of fuel and no driver inside to get a fairly accurate reading.

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
You should scale with driver and full tank, and ALL your stuff to determine your empty weight. Subtract the scale ticket weight from your posted GVWR to determine your cargo capacity.